Quantcast

Martell 300mm Sujihiki with Stefan Keller Wa Handle - SALE!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
This is a 2nd quality SALE!

This knife has been in the works for sometime now at about 3/4 done. I just decided to throw a Stefan handle on it and finish it up.

The ferrule has a slight check on the bottom side that is more of a visual issue than it is performance issue at all. I show this check in one of the pictures blown up that makes it appear much worse than it is in real life. To the touch I care barely feel it with a fingernail. This handle has been filled in with T-88 structural epoxy and will not give way so please don't be discouraged by this if you are interested in the knife.

Also worth noting is that this is a fairly thin ground knife. The first 1/3 (from tip in) is thinner than I usually grind and even though the blade in convex I'd call this one a laser. It will indeed handle delicate slicing tasks. I actually envision this knife as a decent substitute for someone who does the sashimi thing and doesn't want to get involved with a yanagi.

Please see Dave Martell 300mm Sujihiki with Stefan Keller Wa Handle for details.

Thanks,
Dave

P1010016.jpg

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
PS - Just because it's a 2nd doesn't mean that I won;t back this knife up like any other because I will. I only mention the issues for full disclosure and to offer a discount. :)

Last edited:

EdipisReks

Reaction score
that is the first suji that looks as good to me as this. add that to the list of things i could afford if i weren't paying for a wedding.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I got to thinking about this and decided that a price correction was in order...

$399

Trust me folks - this is a killer deal!!!! :wink:

Iceman91

Reaction score
Do you have any spine shots? How thin is it exactly??

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Do you have any spine shots? How thin is it exactly??

I tried to shoot the spine but I couldn't get a focused shot - it was a very frustrating endeavor.

Here's the measurements at the spine starting at the handle, then middle, then the tip (before the drop)....
2.0mm - 1.5mm - 0.6mm

Iceman91

Reaction score
I really hate saying no to a good deal......

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I had a question about ordering another one of these knives with a wa (made to custom spec) handle and how long this would take to get done. My answer is I don't know....I have 15 knives on order plus at least 2 dozen rehandles on deck right now here in the building waiting and more on the way, plus Stefan re-handles, then there's my normal sharpening business, and then there's getting Stefan to make the wa handle for us.

To be realistic, I'd say that if you're interested in a wa suji from me this is the only one that I can provide for quite awhile and it's already built, sharpened, and ready to go. Wink wink :wink:

Crothcipt

Reaction score
I think many people are just scared of the 300mm. I can't believe this is still here.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I had a question about ordering another one of these knives with a wa (made to custom spec) handle and how long this would take to get done. My answer is I don't know....I have 15 knives on order plus at least 2 dozen rehandles on deck right now here in the building waiting and more on the way, plus Stefan re-handles, then there's my normal sharpening business, and then there's getting Stefan to make the wa handle for us.

To be realistic, I'd say that if you're interested in a wa suji from me this is the only one that I can provide for quite awhile and it's already built, sharpened, and ready to go. Wink wink :wink:

There will be some more handles like the one on this knife coming Dave's way, and maybe a few extras that could be a good fit for this knife. As for more custom handles, I cannot commit to anything beyond the ones on my list right now until I find out what will happen in my day job. If I ge a job in Hawaii, I may have time in the summer for handle work, if I move somewhere else, I have no idea whether I will be able to continue at all or how long it will take me to set up again.

Stefan

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks like a steel steal to me.

Stefan

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I tried out a somewhat thicker western 300 mm Dave suji a while back. It was somewhat beastly feeling but a pretty nice knife, nonetheless. I would imagine this one is even nicer-cutting since it's quite thin and I didn't think 300 mm was too long unless you have narrow counters against a wall or something. There's good heel-to-spine height, too for boardwork, in a pinch.

add

Reaction score
This one is SOLD! Thanks everyone :)
WHEW ! !

Was damn near ready to obtain vocational training just to purchase this beauty and put it to it's designated use.

Great knife Dave and Stefan and a very big congrats to the new owner!