Martell Knife Blanks: WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes brass pins. Got them from a model / hobbie shop. They only had imperial sizes, and I only have metric drill bits. Pins are 3.97mm, bit was 4mm. Close enough.

That's looking good! Interested to see the complete finished knife.

For drilling holes, I always size up one step from the actual pin diameter with a fractional drill bit. For example, drilling for a 1/8" (0.125") diameter pin I'll use a #30 drill bit which is 0.1285". This is less likely to crack the wood scales.

9f2b07b96d328310c7276452b7eb810b.jpg

That's good advice - looks like I tool the right approach. Here's some pics of the knife nearly finished. The handle still has a few coats to go - 2 coats tung oil / orange oil + 2 coats pure tung oil + 2 coats tung oil / beeswax (with 24 hours and a steel wool in between). I also need to put an edge on. There are plenty of visible flaws, but I'm very happy with how it came out. A few gouges in the handle that I didn't chase out, the forge scale is still visible on the tang in some places, I marked the very front of the blade near the handle when sanding etc... but this is my second ever knife and first western handle so I'm super happy. We even did some fancy stuff like a subtle distal taper, tapered tang, and rounded spine.

As mentioned, this would have been beyond impossible without the help of Kippington. Kipp has incredible knowledge and skill, is super generous, and is building up the gear for a mean workshop. It sounds like he's pretty much got a school of KKFrs over every weekend. Thanks a bunch. And sorry for the terrible pics - these are taken on my circa 2008 Nokia.

oho315.jpg

2iqehlj.jpg

5d7akg.jpg

2s0eryh.jpg

4g66xj.jpg

sywo0g.jpg

2dbuky1.jpg

5l1mqg.jpg

acrl1i.jpg

Oh man I didn't realize that it was a suji you made, you get extra points for that!

I was wondering, did you guys anneal the tang or work with it hard?

Nice job! I want to say that knife looks awesome but to be honest, your phone camera really sucks. :running: :biggrin:

But seriously, great job on the knife but it deserves better pics. Hope you use it a bunch and enjoy it! :doublethumbsup:

Nice job! I want to say that knife looks awesome but to be honest, your phone camera really sucks. :running: :biggrin

I know - it's the worst. Here's one that at least had the benefit of daylight. I'll see if I can get some better pics eventually. It would be good to show the grind etc...

25f4qbs.jpg

Been a while twixt drinks, so to speak. Feels as though I'm reviving a dormant thread. The grinding was completed some time back - with considerable assistance from @Kippington. Thanks so much! :D

Bought some AZ Desert Ironwood scales a while ago then finally decided I wasn't up to the task so I deferred to the wonderful workmanship of Cody Paul (aka @thegingerninja.abq on IG). Just returned from the US with the handled nakiri and I'm delighted with the result. Just a little bit more polishing and sharpening and it's ready for home duties.

2pbR2yF.jpg

OJUSt9n.jpg

midAEwi.jpg

Last edited:
Marek, I was right away thinking, "wow, he's got some handle skillz".....LOL :D

Nice work by you, Kip, & Cody. I hope you enjoy using it.

Back