D. Martell Martell Knives Website

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave - the autonomy emails came across very quickly. Customer account creation, order # confirmation and shipping # confirmation. Did a bot do the shipping confirmation or was that you providing freaky fast customer service?

Ok more feedback as we try things out. I think the site generates an automatic "Your order has been updated" which I'm not sure provides any info beyond the "your order has been placed" message. No tracking # in the updated email, which is fine but maybe a little confusing? I can forward these to you if you'd like.

Dave - the autonomy emails came across very quickly. Customer account creation, order # confirmation and shipping # confirmation. Did a bot do the shipping confirmation or was that you providing freaky fast customer service?

That's great to hear.

The shipping info was me. :)

Are there plans to add the services (sharpening, chip repairs, rehandle, Damascus refinish, etc.) from the other site to a new section on this one?

Yes sir, I just have to figure out how to do that.

I'd really love to get rid of my old sites at the same time but I don't want to lose the search engine ratings.

PS - I hate doing this stuff

Yes sir, I just have to figure out how to do that.

I'd really love to get rid of my old sites at the same time but I don't want to lose the search engine ratings.

PS - I hate doing this stuff
I'm waiting for you to start making deals with custom makers to do some of their repair/maintenance work 😀😀😀

I'm waiting for you to start making deals with custom makers to do some of their repair/maintenance work 

Oooooo, touchy subject that one! :O

Let's talk about it anyway...

I get asked quite often to work on other maker's knives, about 50% asking for thinning, 25% for rehandling, and 25% for reprofiling. NO, I'm not naming names! :p

I turn down just about all of this. Trust me there's MANY members here who will testify to this. I simply don't want to step on other maker's toes and from what I've heard through the grapevine this type of thing can get ugly between (US) makers. No naming names here either. :p

But I do a lot of repair and maintenance for Japanese retailers already. I've done this a lot in the past and recently I've been doing more and more of it. This works out good because the US customer doesn't have to send the knife back to Japan to get warranty and maintenance work done, just send it to Dave in PA and all's good. :lol2:

Oooooo, touchy subject that one! :O

Let's talk about it anyway...

I get asked quite often to work on other maker's knives, about 50% asking for thinning, 25% for rehandling, and 25% for reprofiling. NO, I'm not naming names! [emoji14]

I turn down just about all of this. Trust me there's MANY members here who will testify to this. I simply don't want to step on other maker's toes and from what I've heard through the grapevine this type of thing can get ugly between (US) makers. No naming names here either. [emoji14]

But I do a lot of repair and maintenance for Japanese retailers already. I've done this a lot in the past and recently I've been doing more and more of it. This works out good because the US customer doesn't have to send the knife back to Japan to get warranty and maintenance work done, just send it to Dave in PA and all's good. [emoji38]2:
Totally get what you are saying, I've just had a few experiences of sending back to the makers and their adjustment was barely perceptible when some semi significant work is needed...

Would prefer to send it to someone I trust 😀😀 to nail it.

Is just really frustrating when it is a blade that is perfect in every way but just a bit too thick and I don't want to risk screwing it up when its hard to find someone to fix it.

A man can dream though Dave. 😀

Totally get what you are saying, I've just had a few experiences of sending back to the makers and their adjustment was barely perceptible when some semi significant work is needed...

Would prefer to send it to someone I trust  to nail it.

Is just really frustrating when it is a blade that is perfect in every way but just a bit too thick and I don't want to risk screwing it up when its hard to find someone to fix it.

A man can dream though Dave. 

I appreciate your vote of confidence. :)

the Website is a good idea, you really need an IG account tho. You are missing out on the hottest marketplace right now.

the Website is a good idea, you really need an IG account tho. You are missing out on the hottest marketplace right now.

Dave, Couldn't you buy a used phone not have it activated with a phone Co and just use your home wifi?

Yes, you need to sell yourself, see Murray Carter if you need an example;).

I often use wifi on my deactivated old work phone in order to get stuff off by messaging apps, Instagram should work too I'd think.

Just a thought Dave, you could get some kid with too much time on his hands to run your IG. I bet he'd do it for a gyuto... also yes I'm talking about me

That's not a bad idea. Let me think about it a bit. :)
Nah Dave you want an international flavour... like an Aussie. We've got great marketing skills... afterall people still come here on holidays when basically everything can kill you 😀

Nah Dave you want an international flavour... like an Aussie. We've got great marketing skills... afterall people still come here on holidays when basically everything can kill you 

I am trying to nudge out Shigefusa's hold on you folks down there. ;)

Ok more constructive feedback. I'm OCD and lazy which is a horrible combo for a customer.

Super fast shipping notification on the knife WHICH is separate from the website. As far as I can tell there is no direct link from the order # to the shipping #. Which since we want the top of class knives to match the website let's work on.

Ok more constructive feedback. I'm OCD and lazy which is a horrible combo for a customer.

Super fast shipping notification on the knife WHICH is separate from the website. As far as I can tell there is no direct link from the order # to the shipping #. Which since we want the top of class knives to match the website let's work on.

So you received shipping info from USPS but not from the website? I can deal with both sending emails but not the website missing out on that.

Thanks for the feedback, it's great to have it!

Here's some feedback

First, I'm curious as to the primary audience of the website. Is the primary purpose to make for forum members can more easily buy something or make it so that any non-forum person who hears about Martell Knives can buy something. The reason I ask is that its not too non-forum friendly because the first thing you see if things being sold out.

1. Not sure what resolution those first images are (the ones on the main page) but on my ultra wide screen (34inch), they are blurry. I would up the resolution on those to max if possible.
2. I would get rid of the payment type logos (Apple Pay, Discover, JCB, etc). No one cares about payment type until you get to checkout and even then. I mean, is there a payment type you don't take? Amex? If not, the logos just take up space. This isn't a Chinese restaurant.
3. Get rid of powered by Shopify if you can. You're already paying them. No need to advertise for them too.
4. I would segregate products into ready for sale and custom. At the moment, I see that you've transferred all the copy from what you posted in the forum. It's a lot to read for someone new and doesn't clearly articulate what's being offered. For example, can you add the petty configuration options as part of the add to cart/checkout so instead of having to write you what I want, I can just click drop downs and choose?
5. Does Shopify handle international shipping or do you still have to send a separate invoice?
6. I would change tech specs to something else more descriptive like "All about the steel" or "How are the knives made". Combine Tech Specs and Handle Q/A into one section so all that Info is in one place.
7. The copy for standard is somewhat negative. I understand you're trying to explain why those knives are cheaper but from a sales perspective it sounds like you're buying something cheapie. Your knives are not budget knives regardless of materials so standard should be read as baseline, not less than.

Here's some feedback

First, I'm curious as to the primary audience of the website. Is the primary purpose to make for forum members can more easily buy something or make it so that any non-forum person who hears about Martell Knives can buy something. The reason I ask is that its not too non-forum friendly because the first thing you see if things being sold out.

1. Not sure what resolution those first images are (the ones on the main page) but on my ultra wide screen (34inch), they are blurry. I would up the resolution on those to max if possible.
2. I would get rid of the payment type logos (Apple Pay, Discover, JCB, etc). No one cares about payment type until you get to checkout and even then. I mean, is there a payment type you don't take? Amex? If not, the logos just take up space. This isn't a Chinese restaurant.
3. Get rid of powered by Shopify if you can. You're already paying them. No need to advertise for them too.
4. I would segregate products into ready for sale and custom. At the moment, I see that you've transferred all the copy from what you posted in the forum. It's a lot to read for someone new and doesn't clearly articulate what's being offered. For example, can you add the petty configuration options as part of the add to cart/checkout so instead of having to write you what I want, I can just click drop downs and choose?
5. Does Shopify handle international shipping or do you still have to send a separate invoice?
6. I would change tech specs to something else more descriptive like "All about the steel" or "How are the knives made". Combine Tech Specs and Handle Q/A into one section so all that Info is in one place.
7. The copy for standard is somewhat negative. I understand you're trying to explain why those knives are cheaper but from a sales perspective it sounds like you're buying something cheapie. Your knives are not budget knives regardless of materials so standard should be read as baseline, not less than.

I'll look into all these things. Thanks for the feedback K!

I spent HOURS working on the website today.... I wouldn't be surprised if my eyes are bleeding.

Just noticed the free lifetime sharpening, I think that is a mistake. You are opening the door to damaged knives (oops I dropped my knife and lost 3mm of the tip), inviting people to not take proper care of them, and what is to stop them from mailing them to you 3-4 times a year? I don't think it's safe to count on shipping costs. What % of your time to you want to spend sharpening knives for free?
Maybe you could offer free the first year then 50% off, or does that become a paperwork nightmare? Maybe you could do a trial run where you mark on the knife certificate that free sharpening is included. Or...if the full price is paid for the knife free sharpening is included for the first year. Or.... each knife comes with X number of free sharpenings while making clear this does not include repairs.

You should make clearer who pays shipping costs, is the customer paying shipping both ways?

Just noticed the free lifetime sharpening, I think that is a mistake. You are opening the door to damaged knives (oops I dropped my knife and lost 3mm of the tip), inviting people to not take proper care of them, and what is to stop them from mailing them to you 3-4 times a year? I don't think it's safe to count on shipping costs. What % of your time to you want to spend sharpening knives for free?
Maybe you could offer free the first year then 50% off, or does that become a paperwork nightmare? Maybe you could do a trial run where you mark on the knife certificate that free sharpening is included. Or...if the full price is paid for the knife free sharpening is included for the first year. Or.... each knife comes with X number of free sharpenings while making clear this does not include repairs.

You should make clearer who pays shipping costs, is the customer paying shipping both ways?

I disagree. I think those of us spending that amount on knives are part of a community that would not overly take advantage of a lifetime sharpening offer. Or we would likely sharpen ourselves. I’d bet that the percentage of jobs that are free sharpening is low.

Back