D. Martell Martell Knives Website

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been offering free sharpening on my knives since the beginning. So far it's worked out where I've only had a small fraction come in to collect, only a few yearly regulars. It's also opened up for additional business since maybe only once (or twice) a Martell knife came in by itself. So I'd have to say it's worked out OK to make this offer.

On a related note, what I do have to address is the idea that I can refinish blades and handles for free. I've been doing this over the years, never had an official policy on it. I've thought about it often though, and especially a lot lately, as it's come up enough to need a call to be made.

There are other knifemakers who offer lifetime free sharpening and spa treatment, and this is often still honored when the knife is given or sold to a different person. I think most makers would include a "warranty exception" like major work due to misuse would incur a fee rather than be a free repair, though sometimes the maker just does it free anyhow. The biggest thing in my opinion is that the owner pay for shipping and insurance to cover loss, you incur the cost of time spent sharpening and spa treatment but that's just part of what's paid for in the original price.

How many people buying your knives sharpen themselves? I think that could play a role in however you decide to set your policies. My personal opinion is that at the pricepoints you're charging, it's not unfair to offer lifetime sharpening. If you sell mostly to knife knuts, then this isn't as big a drain on your time since the percentage that sharpen their own knife is probably a decent amount. If you're selling to housewives/husbands then that's possibly a different demographic.

WIP pictures? You know what they say about a picture being worth...

I heard ya!

P1010002.JPG

P1010008.JPG

Back