Masahiro knives review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julius777

Reaction score
Hi, new member here and new to knives as well. Just want to ask about this particular brand since I can't seem to find a review on it. There's a shop near my place which sells only limited knives with mostly Tojiros, Yaxells and Masahiros, did an online search about it but it seems that not much has been discussed about Masahiro. What do you guys think about this or maybe someone could educate me more on this particular brand? TQ

I only know their Virgin Carbon series. Excellent steel, one of the V2 series by Takefu. I guess the V2 Special @ 62Rc. Easy sharpening, good bite, no brittleness, low reactivity. Same Masamoto uses for their HC.
Fit&Finish acceptable, but basic. Looks like it comes from the same factory as the Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH, but the much better steel and grinding.
Extremely asymmetric geometry. Left-handed versions available, with an inverted geometry. Careful grinding allowing good food separation.
Comes with an acceptable factory edge which isn't too bad at this price point.
Low tip. Hasn't the elegance of Misono's spear point but less vulnerable as well. Small upswing at the heel your board will appreciate. As the choil is lightly inclined counter-clockwise the heel remains sharp.
Excellent performers, exceptional value, indifferent looks.

I only know their Virgin Carbon series. Excellent steel, one of the V2 series by Takefu. I guess the V2 Special @ 62Rc. Easy sharpening, good bite, no brittleness, low reactivity. Same Masamoto uses for their HC.
Fit&Finish acceptable, but basic. Looks like it comes from the same factory as the Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH, but the much better steel and grinding.
Extremely asymmetric geometry. Left-handed versions available, with an inverted geometry. Careful grinding allowing good food separation.
Comes with an acceptable factory edge which isn't too bad at this price point.
Low tip. Hasn't the elegance of Misono's spear point but less vulnerable as well. Small upswing at the heel your board will appreciate. As the choil is lightly inclined counter-clockwise the heel remains sharp.
Excellent performers, exceptional value, indifferent looks.
Thank you.

I have a 300 mm stainless MV-H gyuto with a highly asymmetric 90/10 grind. It does steer some on large stuff like watermelons, but aside from that it’s not bad. Quite a lot of knife for the money for sure. Edge retention seems to be acceptable (though sharpening, or actually deburring, is a bit meh).

Just received a honesuki from their "Bessaku" line. It's some sort of mystery semi-stainless mystery steel. F&F are really impressive for the price. It feels great on stones and takes a wicked edge. Now I just need a chicken...
Never mind. This is my answer, I assume.

Back