• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Masakage Koishi AS 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dc2123

Reaction score
Hey all, selling this nearly pristine Masakage koishi AS 240 ebony & buffalo horn handle. I am the second owner. Knife has been sharpened once. Only seen home use and barely any at that from both myself and the original owner.

weight:209 grams
Heel height: 50.8mm
Edge length: 254mm
Total length: 394mm

I’m asking 300 shipped CONUS
26DABC5B-DFFE-49F7-B4FE-82B08A94C949.jpeg
7421ABD4-8AFD-470D-9E58-060114A68728.jpeg
7D316956-DD2A-49B6-8C92-FD23ECB85572.jpeg
310C96A2-0F25-46A9-8411-CE95366CB24E.jpeg
ADD33C53-A273-49B2-8603-71E2DD1DACDC.jpeg

From the previous owner..
“Didn't alter the grind, but did stone the high points off the flats”

The light may be amplifying it but it is a bit scratched.

will have to take a better picture when I get home.

Updated pics.
32A3425D-084E-451E-A725-5D6EB91AAE25.jpeg
DEA30081-AC50-4070-B8AD-97F03FE8926E.jpeg

These marks we’re there when I originally bought the knife. It’s only cosmetic as far as I can tell.

I see as normal signs from sharpening...And I dont understand why this would be something that (would) affect the overall conditon of the knife...Please, explain if I am wrong.
This is not a painting, right? This is a knife - a tool that is supposed to be used, thus to wear, thus to be sharpened...

Sure, but the blade being scratched does change things a bit. We do pay for fit and finish in addition to performance, after all, and some people may not feel comfortable cleaning up the bevel upon receipt of the knife. And the state of the bevel indicates that some work has been done on it, so “sharpened once” doesn’t really capture the condition accurately. Looks to me as though the previous owner worked a little on the bevel, perhaps enough to even it out slightly, but not all the way, perhaps flattening it a bit toward the tip? So the grind is altered, but not very much probably.

All that said, I wouldn’t personally care so much about the scratches on the blade road. So, GLWS!

Last edited:
This knife can be had bnib for $300 sans sharpening and thinning scratches. Missing a lot of KU here for it to be considered in pristine condition.

I wasn't going to call out the removed KU, since I don't know what it looked like originally. But it's true that all the pictures of Masakage ku that I've seen have been fully black, not pockmarked. By "stoning the high points off the flats" maybe he meant the ku as well as the bevel? That should decrease the value. I don't know where to find this particular knife (with that handle) at a retailer... ones with less fancy handles sell for $292 bnib, so I guess the buyer can make their own decision about pricing.

Alright people he clearly isn’t trying to rip anyone off he shared more pictures of the damage, he just used incorrect verbiage in his wording, is that a crime now? Let’s just relax about it GLWS

The original post was very misleading. That's a no-no. It's good the OP is trying to clarify, but people shouldn't have to ask questions to get this kind of info.

I wasn't going to call out the removed KU, since I don't know what it looked like originally. But it's true that all the pictures of Masakage ku that I've seen have been fully black, not pockmarked. By "stoning the high points off the flats" maybe he meant the ku as well as the bevel? That should decrease the value. I don't know where to find this particular knife (with that handle) at a retailer... ones with less fancy handles sell for $292 bnib, so I guess the buyer can make their own decision about pricing.

The original post was very misleading. That's a no-no. It's good the OP is trying to clarify, but people shouldn't have to ask questions to get this kind of info.

I understand that, but I don’t think the act calls for the need to lay it on so thick, calling this place “a joke”, I’m sure he understands that he messed up by now yanno

"Nearly pristine"="big boned" aka charitable euphemism

Finishing anything physical is a lengthy process, often you need special tools to restore factory finish. This won't ever have a factory finish again. It's probably a fine worker with no functional issues, but it's not pristine. You're taking the piss using that word.

Last edited:
The scratches are quite evident in the original photo so I think the knife was portrayed properly for me in the original post. The scratches personally don’t bother me. I would just polish them out. I like the handle a lot as well as the overall blade shape. The description may be a bit enthusiastic but the scratches are there plain for all to see. The knife would make an excellent home user ... maybe not a collectible by any means but still a good catch at the proper price. What’s a proper price ... I don’t know but that’s what a bit of research and pm’s are for.

I apologize if I was “misleading” anyone. I Hope everyone realizes we all have varying degrees of experience with knife terminology and knife knowledge.

There are professionals here who can look at a knife and know the life it’s had. Im Not that kind of person, so excuse my ignorance.

There are modest cooks like myself who care more about cuisine then a few scratches. This knife still performs...based on people’s remarks I’m the sucker in the first place for purchasing it for this much.

if anyone has interest in this knife just PM me please.

I’ll drop this to 250 Since the consensus is I’m out of mind.

I apologize if I was “misleading” anyone. I Hope everyone realizes we all have varying degrees of experience with knife terminology and knife knowledge.

There are professionals here who can look at a knife and know the life it’s had. Im Not that kind of person, so excuse my ignorance.
This deserves admirations.

I wonder if such scratches can be repaired, to a level that they disappear, as if they have never existed?
What techniques and materials are required?

Yeah, about the kurouchi it is clear...But I was asking about the scratches, which may appear on a stainless or carbon baldes, too...
That just requires some sandpaper in the right grits and some elbow grease. It doesn't really affect the performance of the knife. Well, not by much. Different amounts of polish have different effects on different kinds of food, but in general the differences aren't too big. For this reason, many people wouldn't even bother with trying to remove the scratches. They'll get covered up by patina and fade with time.

The kioshi that I owned had really, really great edge retention. The AS steel in it reminded me of Moritaka in that regard. I even wondered, if it would outlast moritaka.

Sorry to the OP for blowing up your spot, I should’ve messaged you first, instead of pointing it out here.
250 is a good starting point due to handle upgrade. In my PMs with OP I really feel I have a right to vouch for him, I don’t think he ever was trying to pull one over on us.

mods I feel u should close this thread and allow the seller to repost in b/s/t (with new pics and explanation.) He’s gunna have a hard time selling it with all this nonsense. I genuinely feel it was an honest mistake. He got this knife second hand so he wouldn’t know what the ku was like originally, and the scratches he def should’ve made clearer, but it’s an honest mistake. GLWS

Seen from another perspective.

Slightly thinned for better performance as evidenced by less KU and slight scratch mark.

Original handle upgraded with an ebony and blond buffalo horn ferrule handle.

Great rustic knife at a good price for those who want to experience sharpening Aogami steel.

GLWS

Back