• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Masakage Yuki 150 honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Reaction score
For your consideration, a Masakage Yuki 150mm honsuki with a few improvements. I am implementing a strict one in, one out policy and have no use for 2 honesukis. I just purchased a Toyama honesuki or this one would be sticking around.

I purchased this knife used as a project knife and I am quite happy with how it turned out. It arrived to me in like new condition at which time I got rid of the awful stock handle and installed a Konosuke ho wood / buffalo horn octoganal take off handle I purchased from Tosho ($40). I also re-shaped the choil and smoothed it up to give it a more traditional appearance. I flattened the blade road to improve appearance with a kasumi finish.

I have used it quite a bit for it's intended purpose, breaking down several chickens in the short time I've had it. I have sharpened it only once when I fixed it up. The white steel gets very sharp and holds it reaspnably well, but it is probably due a touch up, which I'm happy to do if the new owner requests. It's still easily shaving sharp, but doesn't have quite the bite I like in this kind of knife.

Full disclosure, it has a small overgrind from the manufacturer on the left side at the heel which is visible in some of the pics. It doesn't affect sharpening or performance, but I wanted to put it out there. It comes with a saya, but no box. Original handle is long gone.
Asking $100.00 shipped domestic.

4F3ZOxY.jpg

4cS5F4n.jpg

js8WtWQ.jpg

oPz6gru.jpg

udOG6jk.jpg

awHvZPV.jpg

Do you mind me asking your progression? If it's too off topic for this thread I'll PM you.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure the new owner will get some good use out of it.

As far as progression on the kasumi finish, I generally start with low grit synthetics and progress to a couple of naturals. Since stainless cladding sucks for kasumi and tends to disagree with naturals, I muck about until I find one it likes. In this case, I think the progression was:

King 300
SG1000
AI2K
Kitayama 8k
Ohira shuminagashi suita from Watanabe

Back