Masakage Yuki Nakiri, chipping

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crullrk

Reaction score
Hello all,
I bought a Masakage Nakiri about a year ago. I used it a few times, and frankly I didn't get very comfortable with it. I have no experience with nakiri style knives, and this guy was a much different profile than I'm used to.

If I had to guess, I have 2-3000 hours of knife usage, mostly stainless knives from the beginning of my career. The last couple years I've decided I can't use stainless knives anymore and began buying all carbon.

My problem is that when I've used the knife I hear a chipping sound. I was wondering if its the way I use the knife or if I need to put a new edge on it that isn't quite as sharp.

Thanks!

Is the edge actually chipping or are you just hearing a sound that might suggest chipping? What is your cutting board made of? Can you describe your cutting style? What are you typically cutting? With more information we may be able to help but we need more information.

Is the edge actually chipping or are you just hearing a sound that might suggest chipping? What is your cutting board made of? Can you describe your cutting style? What are you typically cutting? With more information we may be able to help but we need more information.

I don't see any chips, but I hear what sounds like chipping. I use synthetic cutting boards, in a restaurant. Cutting vegetables. I have been mostly push cutting.

Sounds like you're putting lateral force on the edge.
This.
In other words, if you're "walking" the knife you'll hear this.
The solution is to adjust technique and not move the knife laterally (sideways) when it's on the board.

Push cutting can help with reducing lateral motion. It's likely the knife is decently thin behind the edge. rock chopping with thin edges can cause chips more easily.

Back