Masami Asai VG10 line question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to ask, if somebody has a direct experience with this line from Masami Asai: http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=86762

Why do I ask: I am looking for a 180 mm gyuto as a gift for one of my friends , stainless or semistainless, with a good edge retention, my main favourites were Akifusa aka Haryuki aka Gesshin Kagero (which has somewhat better F&F and should be also a bit thinner and have a slightly better grind, but unfortunately, Jon has only the 210 mm version), Takamura R2 (those with the red pakkawood handles) and Yoshikane SKD, all are without any doubt very good knives with a lot of feedback, initially, I didn’t cosider this Azai line at all, but I simply started to be curious about it as it optically seemed to be a good knife and Asai is a quite renowned maker...and as my friend is a girl, I thought, it could eventually be a good choice as the knife is visually certainly more attractive than for instance Akifusa...And its also taller than Akifusa with its only 40 mm that let you, combined with a western handle, almost no space for knuckles...

So I contacted EE and Daniel O’Malley kindly shared with me the following information: the core stel lis a VG10 with an, according to him, extremely good heat treatment resulting in a small crystalline structure and consequently a very good edge retention (which should be about comparable with that of Akifusa as well as Yoshi SKD; that was a surprise for me, I would expect Akifusa to have a better edge retention, its well known to have an extremely good edge retention), sharpening should be slightly easier than that of Akifusa as well as Yoshi...I also wondered why any knife from this line didn’t get any review so far (in that respect there is a huge contrast to for instance Akifusa) – Daniel’s theory was quite interesting:) - that even though this Asai line sells very well, people simply aren’t surprised by the quality of such a pretty knives, contrary to the Akifusa line which is visually much less attractive:)...

But a direct experience is a direct experience and, unfortunately, I couldn’t find any reviews or comments regarding this particular line, so I would be really grateful for any feedback! How does it cut, how is the grind, if it has a distal taper, how thin is it behind the edge, simply the more information, the better! Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry for my English:)..

Back