Masamoto KS 240 mm vs Konosuke 270mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason183

Reaction score
Which one is better? I noticed they’re pretty similar, actual length KS(250mm) Kono(258mm), Kono thinner and less reactive to rust, KS more pointing tip, can also be used as Sujihiki/slicer.

If you can only keep one gyuto, which one would you prefer?

ps: sorry forgot to said it’s Kono hd2

Last edited:
konosuke. At this point, KS is mostly hype from youtubers. Doesn't make it a bad knife, but not for the price its going for now.

Kono for sure! Masamoto is overhyped and is all stamped and highly machined
steel in it's current incarnation.

Do you have both or thinking of getting one or another? The reason I ask is that they are somewhat different despite similarity in dimensions.

I would keep Kono hd2 between the two. KS is a good knife, but too expensive at this point. Edge retention sucks as well on KS. The profile, balance and grind works for a lot of people though. Mizuno KS clone is a totally different animal from the other two and a much better knife to me. Also more expensive, even though some of the KS prices are nuts.

I recently, very reluctantly, parted with a 270HD. Flat, nimble, easy to sharpen. Liked the knife a lot but getting away from 270s.

My single data point on a KS was disappointing.

Which one to keep would be an easy choice for me. (And the KS would probably be an easier sell)

KS all the way! If only because I already have a KS, bought about a decade ago when they were comparatively cheap. For me, it's an iconic and important gyuto, one of the most influential profiles, a knife that I'm unlikely to sell. Sexy as heck IMO.

Salty's Youtube video on KS an enduring classic.

Kono HD never spoke to me.

Sure, I now own gyutos considered by me to be superior in a number of ways, but the KS has a place in my collection—the bee's knees and cat's meow in its day; a definite standout in the history of gyutos—yes, I'm a history nerd. It was a good knife a decade ago, still is.

Last edited:
Do you have both or thinking of getting one or another? The reason I ask is that they are somewhat different despite similarity in dimensions.

I would keep Kono hd2 between the two. KS is a good knife, but too expensive at this point. Edge retention sucks as well on KS. The profile, balance and grind works for a lot of people though. Mizuno KS clone is a totally different animal from the other two and a much better knife to me. Also more expensive, even though some of the KS prices are nuts.
I do have both but I think they’re pretty similar, so I want to keep one and sell the other, at this point I think I’m going to keep the hd2 and let go of the Masamoto KS. Thanks for all the opinion

I do have both but I think they’re pretty similar, so I want to keep one and sell the other, at this point I think I’m going to keep the hd2 and let go of the Masamoto KS. Thanks for all the opinion
If you think they are similar, like daveb said the KS would be an easier sell and you'd probably get more cash back.

I've had a KS and now on Kono SKD.
As a home cook .. both will do anything I ask them to and their only limit is me.
These days KS prices are are silly, though Kono is a touch inflated as well.
Kono f&f is better by quite a bit.
Current day KSs are not quite as good as few year old ones.
KS still has the shape that no one else really does .. so if you want the big flat and pointy tip, the choice is made for you.
Do watch out which Kono you're comparing to, as the belly and flat spots vary quite a bit across models.

If I had to choose .. I'd sell both and get a Kamon again.

Well, never tried a KS, but have a HD2 in 210. Not the thinnest behind the edge, but love mine for how long it retains a great working edge, and how quickly a Rika will bring back a great toothy sharpness to it.

I have had YS-M 210 for about a month now and love it. It seems like the FM grind in a semi-stainless steel. It does take on a wicked patina which is cool as well.
Yep. Already tested 2 YS gyutos and love them. Kinda curious how cutting compares to the new skd gyutos at carbon and tosho

I've had a KS and now on Kono SKD.
As a home cook .. both will do anything I ask them to and their only limit is me.
These days KS prices are are silly, though Kono is a touch inflated as well.
Kono f&f is better by quite a bit.
Current day KSs are not quite as good as few year old ones.
KS still has the shape that no one else really does .. so if you want the big flat and pointy tip, the choice is made for you.
Do watch out which Kono you're comparing to, as the belly and flat spots vary quite a bit across models.

If I had to choose .. I'd sell both and get a Kamon again.

FWIW I have purchased 2 Kono knives this year, in the EU, and they are both very good value, beating everything else in terms of F&F for the price.

Back