Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto KS3124 Available Soon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newer members (who have created this KS hysteria) probably won't appreciate that time has shown the KS to be a pretty hit-and-miss knife. Old hands may remember a less than great batch surfacing on Rakuten a few years back.

However, the level of cognitive dissonance shown by any buyer will likely be so high that even an average or flawed knife will be fauned over. And the hype train rolls on.

I am going to buy them all and flip for 300%!!! Free market!!!!

Apart from you are wrong. You are inflating the market.

Yes you will catch and release, but how long will it take you to decide?

For that time 3 to 4 people that wanted won't get that one, and someone who does get one of the other stock and sell at am increased price if said people really want it.

I'm not against what you are doing, just think it is naive of you to believe it doesn't affect the market. May be minimal, but if you take a few weeks to relist it may be more significant, at least to a few that really want one....

To be honest I am kinda confused about what your opinion is now...

And there lies your problem... you seem to think I have stated an opinion somewhere, whereas as far as I am aware I haven't. Because frankly I have no real position on this cause its too complex...

Yours is quite obvious, your p!ssed that you have to pay above retail to try the blades you wanna try (though from some thing you have said I get the impression that even at retail they are really beyond your budgets, but that could be misinterpretation, or confusion with other members).

Fare call, i understand that. I'm lucky that my profession, and having a wife in a well paying profession, means if I limit myself to a few purchases a year, then there ain't really too much that is off the cards... though personally I don't think katos or shigs are worth the mark up to me, or ks's, hence why I ain't bought one. But there are also heaps of custom makers or j knives that I don't feel are worth their retail prices to me, so I don't buy them. That's just personal preference.

My comments have purely been about two things. One people taking the "moral high ground" by attacking people without any real facts (which sorry but an ebay link to a few unsold items isn't that, but the last thread did turn up some juicy facts I wasn't aware of). Personal attacks are never called for, you got serious facts about improper conduct share them in the right way.

And also, peoples willingness to take advantage of makers/people in hard times flipping gear at heavy discount, but then getting their knickers in a knot when someone puts up a rare knife for what they deem it is worth to them... not really taking the moral high ground (as a community in its entirety here, not talking specific people just how the whole forum works). That hypocrisy doesn't sit right me.

Most of my comments were about the practicality of the forum policing price gouging, and negative feedback, which if you allow it, then I'm sure as hell going to want it moderated. I don't want someone with their knickers in a knot over me stating a differing opinion ruining a sale of mine. Just easier to not allow it.

So in summary, I don't think I have stated an opinion, cause I don't have one, its too complex. I just buy what I want, if available, for a price I am prepared to pay for it. I just comment about what I see is an impractical option for the forum, plus make some counter points to what I see as people holding double standards or just making illogical statements.

Wow, I'm gonna give you a gold star if you bother to read all this.

PS... you wanna buy them all and mark them up at 300% more power to you. I won't be buying one off you for that. So i just hope you got the cash to sit on them for a while.

God knows you will probably sell a few of them.

But as panda said earlier. Who cares what someone has as a purchase price... the key is what it sold for, cause someone was willing to pay it.

Maybe the The bst guideliines should be modified
to allow trades based on pre-hype values :)

ie, a 2010 value KS trades for a 2010 value Shig
(+/-) proportioned cash ∆, etc

As an outside thing, it might work. Kudos for using the delta sign btw! :)

so much drama for KS's, never thought id see the day.

[video=youtube;Hv1a1zUrQI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1a1zUrQI0[/video]

:rofl2:

PS... you wanna buy them all and mark them up at 300% more power to you. I won't be buying one off you for that. So i just hope you got the cash to sit on them for a while.

God knows you will probably sell a few of them.

But as panda said earlier. Who cares what someone has as a purchase price... the key is what it sold for, cause someone was willing to pay it.

Obviously a joke mate. Get a sense of humor ;)

Obviously a joke mate. Get a sense of humor ;)
Of course you were joking, and that was meant to be way more of an appropriate sarcastic response which I failed dismally at...

But then again... I'm not the one stalking people out of this ;)

My goodness gracious. I started this thread so KKF members who wants to try a KS can have a fair shake at a it. I was not expecting for this to turn out to be a soap opera. 😱

My goodness gracious. I started this thread so KKF members who wants to try a KS can have a fair shake at a it. I was not expecting for this to turn out to be a soap opera. 😱
Welcome to this forum these days... though I fear I contribute to that so I should probably stfu.... and take some of my own advise...

But it does make bus trips go quicker.

what!!!???? i'm curious what he's gonna do with all of those. all these people commenting asking for giveaway, i hope those people never get one, lol.

I bet he gives away at least a few. He has not only subscribers but people who support him on patreon and will want to keep them "happy". Fairly common to do such things on youtube.

well yeah it makes sense to give away at least 1 to keep the good juju going. but the desperation seething from those comments begging for a giveaway just annoys the piss out of me. i would be glad if he didnt give any away just out of spite. i commented on it saying he should do a lottery system just to be able to buy one off him instead of an auction.

well yeah it makes sense to give away at least 1 to keep the good juju going. but the desperation seething from those comments begging for a giveaway just annoys the piss out of me. i would be glad if he didnt give any away just out of spite. i commented on it saying he should do a lottery system just to be able to buy one off him instead of an auction.

Yeah, I get that. I have seen it a lot on other channels too.

Thanks for the advice champ.

Please, don’t be so negative..

Why do you assume I’m only interested in selling? Why would it take me longer than an hour to decide? Why is a one week wait a big deal if you want this knife? Would you have an opportunity to buy or trade for this if it weren’t listed here?

These knives weren’t sourced from a popular retailer that would have emailed us like JCK. I’m also quite interested in trading for jnats or other knives so people don’t have to stretch their budgets.

Yes, shipping and fees effect the market. That’s why I purchased at a fair price.

I just don’t understand why some got their knickers in a twist over this.

There is nothing wrong—nor should there be—with Fujiyama buying four KS gyutos, and potentially reselling. There are no established rules against doing a multiple purchase, and selling on knives.

Many on B/S/T do the same. I’ve seen knives on B/S/T that were bought for $325, and then selling for $600+, on account of fair market value and rarity of the product—as well as perceived quality.

Face it—knives above $100 are luxury items. You don’t need them—you want, desire, collect them—any cook worth their salt can prep a meal with a Forschner or Wustof. Owning a KS is not a god given right—I'm happy I got mine when I did, and do feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that it's coveted. I have a decent sized collection of J-knives, which I love, but would still be cooking without them. It’s not like he’s gouging buyers by selling water during a drought or a midtown taxi charging $200 for a short ride during the NYC blackout.

Valuation is subjective, market driven, self-correcting. To a large extent, buyers have the power to decide what something is worth. Hypothetically, if one manages to resell a KS for $650, it’s because there’s a buyer that really wanted it and was agreeable with the price—the market supported the valuation. If it doesn’t sell, then it’s overpriced. It's over priced, don't buy it. I've yet to see a Kelley Blue Book on used knife valuation.

Fujiyama's actions are not affecting the market—it's more the result of an increased demand for rare, high-end cooking knives.

The assumption of “fair price” is fluid—look as the stock market, real estate, hand made charcuterie, food truck menu prices, etc. If a notable chef was happy with spending $800 on a Chelsea Miller—it’s a good purchase for the buyer—they perhaps have an appreciation of rustic, unique, handmade knives from an independent emerging knife maker, it would be disrespectful to call it a waste of money. I know chefs that place a high esteem and value on Global knives—I personally don’t. My Crate & Barrel pasta bowls are just as good (in some respects) as my Pillivuyt pasta bowls, but I don’t regret spending four times as much for the Pillivuyt.

If I were to sell or trade my Shigefusa yanagi, Kato or Konosuke Fujiyama gyutos, I’d surely do research on its market value before posting to B/S/T.

It’s the free market on B/S/T—there are no flip taxes—that’s capitalism. If I were to sell my Brooklyn apartment—which has appreciated very nicely via gentrification for what I originally bought it for, that would be silly.

On another note. I did notice that Honcho Knives is having a sale (w/ free shipping) on both carbon and stainless Masamoto KS gyutos. They look like KS, correct me if I'm wrong.
https://www.hocho-knife.com/masamoto-honkasumi-gyokuhaku-ko-buffalo-tsuba/
https://www.hocho-knife.com/masamoto-swedish-stainless-steel-buffalo-tsuba/

You rang? :biggrin:
27766806759_44b1053568_c.jpg

To be fair it was a 270 my coworker snapped on something frozen and when he went back to Japan I did a quick and dirty rehab on it.

I have a 270 vintage (40 years or so) KS. I haven't used it much but I guess I'll be hanging onto it. Is it just me or is KKF just a bunch of WTB threads about shigs, katos, and KS's now? Kind of a bummer. Vendors dropping left and right, maybe since people only seem to want three different gyutos nowadays.

I have a 270 vintage (40 years or so) KS. I haven't used it much but I guess I'll be hanging onto it. Is it just me or is KKF just a bunch of WTB threads about shigs, katos, and KS's now? Kind of a bummer. Vendors dropping left and right, maybe since people only seem to want three different gyutos nowadays.

Pretty much sums things up...at least the Katos are great cutters--though insanely overpriced...I think people must want KS's because they haven't been around for a while. When they were, demand wasn't that high...

Pretty much sums things up...at least the Katos are great cutters--though insanely overpriced...I think people must want KS's because they haven't been around for a while. When they were, demand want Stu high...

agreed, hopefully w/ the new batch, peoples' interest will subside, and we'll see something interesting on BST.

could not agree more, pretty boring stuff, especially since in MY OWN (had to emphasize that) opinion they are nothing overly special.
Luckily there is so many custom makers popping up now a days it will bring some new life, i miss people writing reviews on their new anticipated purchases (not that i ever did myself :dontknow:)

Back