Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto KS3124 Available Soon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now realizing why you guys feel this way.. the hype train reality just hit me. I knew the HD2 sales were all hype and felt the same way towards that knife. I was bitter at the situation and even towards the knife and Konosuke (more to that). I knew many people buying them didn't know what they were buying. I had handled some and know they are overpriced for what they are. It's a good knife, but its not going to be everyone's TKC.

Knowing all that, the HD2 eventually made my bucket list. I gave it a quick touch up and used it this evening. It's a knife that compliments my collection and I'll enjoy using throughout my life. I don't collect knives I won't use & don't keep ones that I don't connect with, they're too costly to have around. I knew what I was buying and I waited for the one I was after. I don't do hype trains.

Now I've accepted, people are buying knives without knowing a thing about them... smh.

In the case of the KS, there is one exception. Those who did their research haven't been able to obtain one. Other knives on the hype train kept restocking every few months, while the KS was being removed from websites all around the world. People reached out on the forums with little to no luck. I realize now that there's a lot of people on a KS hype train and ultimately, some will be disappointed. Yet I'm willing to bet there's more people out there who will love the KS; so it's not all one sided.

I researched the HD and then the HD2 for sometime before pulling the trigger and I am not dissatisfied. However, I will say that I was not expecting a miracle knife either. I already had a Swedish and White # 2 kono laser as well as lasers from other makers. I like the profile and the steel and I am a laser guy so it was appropriate. :)

I think I will like the KS, if ever I get one as well. As I said, if not, no big deal as someone else will.

I always thought part of the deal with the KS was a taper like the old French knives. I can speak for only myself, but I’ve heard a number of people who have this knife really like it as a tool. I’ve heard some say the opposite, and if the grind is inconsistent that makes sense too, and of course anything will be a good fit for some but not others. But as a relative novice I’m still on the quest to find the knives I like best and I’d like to try one of these. Something like a Tanaka I can just buy; something like a Kato I might have to wait a while but it will eventually come along; but the KS is difficult to obtain at the moment without any guarantee of future availability.

Add to that the collector’s aspect, that it appears to be a beautiful juxtaposition of French design and Japanese craftsmanship, and I do really like both the thin (Shibata) and thick (Doi) blades with similar profiles as well as a notably tapered blade (old forged Sab, Gengetsu).

No interest in KS at all. Heel is way too low for me. Lots of other places to spend knife budget on ones that suit me much better...I'm on the Toyama end of the spectrum, which is miles away from KS country.

Cheers,
Blair

Something about a mongoose?

Right, isn't that what we were talking about? Growing up I wanted about every critter under the sun and I had a lot of them too (I still have some of them as they live a long, long time). Closest I came to a mongoose was a ferret.

Bwhaha. I am pretty sure my wife might find that a touch awkward, at the very least. :laugh:

Wait, what?!? It was illegal to elope in Australia before?

That just seems, weird to me?

BTW how are you holding up in the heatwave?

Eloping has always been legal, just not for 2 blokes.

It’s bloody hot alright. This is my first week back at work and the flour is getting a workout.

Give us some of that heat! It has been colder than normal here. Well, it is "warming up" to just above freezing. Why I ever left coastal area of Spain to return to this snowy hell is beyond me...

Yeah paper here reported Mt Washington recorded temp of -70C including windchill which just made me feel hotter. It’s even hotter in Sydney which is south of me

Master Hirano is reaching 90 years of age; get your KS while you can. This stock has a laser etched kanji.

I’m receiving 4 of them shortly w/ sayas. I also expect 2 with the original kanji. I’m sick of seeing these priced at $550 USD with no saya. Once I pick mine, I’ll be passing these along to you guys at fair value.

I expect the stock at JCK, CKTG, and everywhere else to sell instantly. Most stores will only receive a small batch. The back order is outstanding, the retailer I spoke to isn’t expecting any more stock this calendar year.

Fujiyama, I’m curious why it bothers you that some people are selling KS $200 above retail(master Andre is the only member I can think of that did this) and yet you yourself have no problems attempting to sell konosuke Fujiyamas for nearly $500 above retail?
How do you justify that?

Fujiyama, I’m curious why it bothers you that some people are selling KS $200 above retail(master Andre is the only member I can think of that did this) and yet you yourself have no problems attempting to sell konosuke Fujiyamas for nearly $500 above retail?
How do you justify that?

I have no problem with Mastre Andre! In fact, I bought his KS. :)

The Fujiyamas are reserved for the big boys. Sorry you can't play!

The Fujiyamas are reserved for boys.

LOLOL that's a bunch of ********...can't and don't want to are completely different things. Ripping people off on any used knife is pitiful no matter the demand...go rip people off on ebay instead of this community.

Back