Masamoto KS at JCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, I think I paid 254.00 in 2014. Sold it shortly after that. How can a stamped knife be worth 1000? Does anyone really buy at that level?

Another thread made me aware of the "Forged in Fire" hammered chef knife for just $29.95. For a grand you can get 33 Forged in Fire knives and be set for life!

Joking aside, I love my KS.

All joking aside, its pretty common for "out of stock" products on ebay to be listed with an extra zero or two ... I clicked thru one of those links earlier and it also seems are alot of fake-looking masamoto listings, you'd have better market pricing by looking at actual knife shops.

The price puts it in competition with a lot of other admired brands, but as long as there’s a market for them, it’ll continue to sell well. It’s close to the price I paid for a used Konosuke Fujiyama recently. I look forward to comparing the two.

I wouldn’t trust that seller, they only have 1 feedback from 2014 and have been relisting the Same KS over and over and over again at different inflated prices.

Crazy this has to be rehashed constantly. People here know what the deal is. The clones available are better and cheaper.

Crazy this has to be rehashed constantly. People here know what the deal is. The clones available are better and cheaper.

Can't underestimate the value of authorship to some collectors. Just sand off the kanji of a Kato and see how much it sells for.

I remember a sanded down Kato! Think someone made Suji out of it! Still sold for more than new! Ha Ha! KSs could be found everywhere a couple a years ago..... what’s interesting is how the hype train gets going? I really like the KS clone I have, so all good if everyone has to grab a KS!

A KS is definitely not worth the retail price to me much less flipper prices. I found mine in Japan for $225 delivered or I would not own one, they were going for $340 at most retailers then(2013?). I like the knife but it's not worth over $400 by any stretch.

The current-year JDM retail price is 34,600 jpy, or about $325.
For $450 get a marko, Tilman, mario etc built to spec.

That being said, the first thing I thought when I picked up a (real)
KS was "no wonder nobody can clone this"...its just too at the limit
with its tapers and monosteel construction.

You mess with that its not the same knife at all, too much here (doi)
too little there (kono togatta) etc, its just a 1 dimensional knife.

The real KS (ones that weren't seconds) is very at the limit of its tapers,
its flexes certainly at the tip (which is like a scalpel or petty), however the heel
is 2.9 thich...and has zero flex

There is always somewhere that won't crack a carrot, and it won't stick food
if you are reverseing push and pull correctly based on ingredients.

Sometimes is little too much of a puzzle to figure out the best way to cut something,
so if you're doing boxes and boxes of prep, there are other knives with less dimensions to figure
out that will certainly outperform it.

But the whole point of a KS is its not a one trick pony and figuring out its enigmatic style
is a entertaining and enlighting thing if you are into knifes and cutting

...which is why its worth keeping around...

Back