Media Masamoto KS Wa Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. It seems from what I've read that the KS is a little thinner in the heel and maybe a little thicker toward the tip relative to the honyaki. Is this the case, and did you find this to cause any difference in performance between the two knives?

Oh, and how did you go about mirror polishing the KS, if you don't mind?

Haha, I like the voice. I also would like to know the answers to UJ's questions.

Nice video Salty, thanks.

Speeding up the playback was an ... interesting choice. I got a little motion sick watching your hands twitch around, lol.

Honyaki is on the left.

The tips are very close. The difference is negligible.

I polished with my stone progression. The surface was pretty even.

IMG_5298.jpg

Honyaki is on the left.

IMG_5298.jpg

So, is the knife flat ground, or did you have to adjust your polishing technique to the convex grind (what I thought it was or at least what it looks to me in the picture. Honyaki very shallow convex for sure).

M

I went with the conex shape of the blade feeling my way.

Haha, speeding up the video, such a cook move. Why make something take 5 minutes when you can get it done in 3?

At my old job I would have to tell the waitresses all the time that I wasn't mad at them, I was just being short and direct cause I didn't want waste any more of my time!

Great vid & review, Salty.

So, how does the Masamoo honyaki compare to the Mizuno honyaki, or any other honyaki that you have or have used? Cheers! mpp

The Mizuno is hefty. The Masamoto not. The Masamoto came with a very nice hazy mirror finish. The Miz with a flat out mirror, mirror. I was just feeling up one of the Miz's today saying to myself, "I should really bust into this thing". I have to admit a little tainted predjudice to thinner knives but I know in the long run a heftier knife, if "capabable", is a better investment.

Also the Miz run short and Mas runs long. Two different beautiful animals.

Honyaki is on the left.

Hey Salty - care to expand a little on mirror polishing a blade? Since I've read and saw this thread I've got a bug to polish my Yusuke white #2 gyuto. It's mono steel. I feel like the blade has some drag, and I'd like to see if mirror polishing it will improve the cutting performance. I know it will patina again w/ use but I'm more concerned w/ the finish of the surface rather than the mirro appearance.

Is essentially what you're doing similar to thinning a blade, but you're focusing on removing all the scratches f/ the grinding on the entire surface, following the contours of the original grind? Thanks Boss! mpp

Yeah, I think that's the main idea. I think it would probably be a little easier with wet/dry sandpaper. This would help match the contour of the bevels better, and would keep you from being quite as likely to remove too much material.

Hey Salty - care to expand a little on mirror polishing a blade? Since I've read and saw this thread I've got a bug to polish my Yusuke white #2 gyuto. It's mono steel. I feel like the blade has some drag, and I'd like to see if mirror polishing it will improve the cutting performance. I know it will patina again w/ use but I'm more concerned w/ the finish of the surface rather than the mirro appearance.

Is essentially what you're doing similar to thinning a blade, but you're focusing on removing all the scratches f/ the grinding on the entire surface, following the contours of the original grind? Thanks Boss! mpp

Yep but exploring easier ways, including wet sand papaer.

In my experience, a mirror polish makes that much worse.

Yep but exploring easier ways, including wet sand papaer.

I'm thinking wet sand paper and a palm sander :eek2:

Was originally thinking of doing this to my Moritaka kiri-gyuto to flatten and thin the sides...

You're saying mirror polish = more drag on food product when cutting?

That's been my experience. I assume a lower grit finish is like having thousands of tiny, uniform kullenschliffs all over the blade face, preventing the food from "sucking" to the metal.

You're saying mirror polish = more drag on food product when cutting?

Oh yeah. It encourages wedging, sticking, steering, etc. I admire a shiny piece of steel, but it just never worked out for me at work.

They don't stay shiny long but I like the smooth feel. I generally don't have issue with sticking on the polished blades.. Since I left the back side matte maybe I should do some comparisons.

i've checked out your masamoto gyutou video many times before i discovered this forum. i've always wanted a masamoto wa gyutou cause i love their unique shape and profile over the western handle version. can't wait until i get mine...

:zombiegrave:

Use
Code:
:zombiegrave:
in your text, or go advance and select more smilies from the right hand panel.

my bad, did a quick search on something and saw this thread, didn't realize it was this old lol

i may just have to save up for a masa honyaki. can you order them without mirror polish? (probably cheaper that way) i like that the honyaki is slightly thicker.

They don't come with a true mirror polish, but somewhat close. Currently they have not made a Masamoto honyaki gyuto in nearly a year and last time I check with Koki he did not think they would be available anytime soon.

#bringingKSback

Back