• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Masashi 240 SLD or KU Blue?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for the newer nose Masashi 240 SLD (non torpedo) or 240 Aogami KU. Sold out on Knifewear and Aframes. Still available at Yoshihiro tho. Anybody need to do some purging?

I like how thin the SLD is, and how tough the steel is given how thin. I love the overall grind. I love that is damn near stainless. I don't love sharpening it. I would take SKD (A2) over SLD (D2) any day. If the blue steel version is ground like the SLD and you don't mind caring for carbon, that's the one I'd buy for a friend. I'll still take the SLD for myself, but I cuss whenever I sharpen it.

Yikes. I'm amazed how much just harder thinning/polishing gets with just a little bit of alloying elements. Adding as much as is in SLD? Ouch.

For me it's deburring and edge refinement. Blue just does both easier, and I have other things to do with my life. Like honing my razor.

Back