Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
If something like this is done again it might be interesting to work with some younger, lesser known bladesmith with potential. Might be easier to get one of those on board as it should result in a boost in popularity so it would be a win-win situation.
Just an idea.
ping @Björn Birgersson <3

Talking of Björn I was there last week for some forging. I have this spare kiridashi I'm going to stick into a package of the massdrop randomly. 15mm roundbar silversteel on 20mm square iron.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_112410.jpg
    IMG_20210312_112410.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210312_112503.jpg
    IMG_20210312_112503.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 36
These are great ideas for the next massdrop. We are thinking along the same lines. A big part of the idea behind this is get to know the smith, and support the dying art of individual craftsmanship.

we already have a smith ready to engage in in Q1 2022 and we should be announcing a second massdrop this year in April or so

our thinking was 2 mass drops a year
I would add Rob to the list as well. Would love to work with someone in Australia

that was also our thinking - smiths in different regions

If we go down under Rob was great but pretty full schedule.
Tobi, Metalmonkey knives could also be an option.

I think I would suggest A2 for a bulk run...

Not a masochist for finishing Zwear? I think this is were "forge-finish" comes in - grind the bevels, leave the rest. HSC Wabi-sabi ;)

(I have read how hard this stuff is to finish so this is tongue'n'cheek)

I do like Harbeer's suggestion of A2. Speaking only to my own personal parochial interests I'd prefer to see something not in the the simplest steels (1095, Shirogami, and similar). CruForge V, 52100, A2, 1.2442, or any of the nicer stainless steels (AEB-L,...) would all be on my short list.

I get the impression that both Kippington and Isasmedjan are balls to wall just trying to keep up with existing orders but both are absolutely great to deal with IME.

Back