Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
DHL is not any better in any country!

Never say never, is my experience with nearly ALL couriers (globally), some are better and usually those are more expensive ones...at some point insurance becomes an economically viable option, I suspect for the batch shipments it makes sense but not for any individual shipments.

1611245746415.png

So for the record, although I appreciate very much the efforts of all involved here, I find the new addition of the kiri boxes pretty frustrating. They look very nice, but even for the same $ amount I would rather not have the box than have the box. As is, I’ll either have to immediately throw it away or somehow make room in a cramped closet for something I’ll never use.

After contemplating canceling my participation for a half hour or so, I think I’ll stay in, since I won’t notice the $40 in the long run, even though it’s not nothing to me. But I’m still on the fence about it.

The price I've got is 200 sek each. I hope shipping and import wont take them even to 250, but dont know yet. So hoping I have set expected price higher than what I will need covered. Anyway, maybe you can work something out if you talk with nkw.

So for the record, although I appreciate very much the efforts of all involved here, I find the new addition of the kiri boxes pretty frustrating. They look very nice, but even for the same $ amount I would rather not have the box than have the box. As is, I’ll either have to immediately throw it away or somehow make room in a cramped closet for something I’ll never use.

After contemplating canceling my participation for a half hour or so, I think I’ll stay in, since I won’t notice the $40 in the long run, even though it’s not nothing to me. But I’m still on the fence about it.

I will gladly accept your unwanted kiri box and throw some money (very finite amount) your way to ease the pain.

FWIW, I didn't mean to throw any wrenches into the works, or make anyone's job harder. The massdrop is still an awesome idea. It's just that from reading the thread, it might have seemed that there was unanimous approval for the boxes, and I wanted to say that that's not the case.

@LostHighway, you can have my box for cost of shipping.

FWIW, I didn't mean to throw any wrenches into the works, or make anyone's job harder. The massdrop is still an awesome idea. It's just that from reading the thread, it might have seemed that there was unanimous approval for the boxes, and I wanted to say that that's not the case.

The hamon’s still free

Not sure your particular knife will fit in the kiribox anyway actually so it will probably sort itself 🥳

It’s all good - we can even accommodate no Kiri box😊

Ok, looks like there's been some confusion here, so let me try to straighten things out with some fancy text:

Kiri boxes will be mandatory - it's only $20 more than going with the cardboard option, it's the safer option for shipping, and vastly simplifies things on the distribution end.

Total cost for the kiri box on Robin's end is 300 SEK or ~40 USD

Last edited:
I don't really care about the kiri either, but I understand that it simplifies the handling, shipment process etc. So as long as it makes it easier for you I will gladly pay the little extra cost.

It's the least we can do if it can help make this great project easier to deliver.

On the other hand as pointed out previously, I hope that there will be enough protection of the blade to avoid the slightest damage.

Once again thank you!

Interesting to see these different opinions :)

While I do get that it's all about the knife, I do care about the kiri box, think it's a nice touch. I store all knives in their boxes, and like that this special knife gets a special box.
Didn't anticipate on people not caring for them or not wanting them.

Please don't take this as an attack or intent to state other opinions are wrong. It's a mere observation.

For what it’s worth, I am getting my kiri boxes tomorrow - with wood shavings and a knives in them too thankfully. and I will post pictures for all to see and behold

The stainless tang is a really nice detail, I didn't even realize.

I was wondering about this, out of curiosity, have you ever done some sort of strength test on this @RDalman?

I have no concern about a kitchen knife cracking at the weld, but know in general welding stainless and carbon together isn't recommended in high stress applications.

I was wondering about this, out of curiosity, have you ever done some sort of strength test on this @RDalman?

I have no concern about a kitchen knife cracking at the weld, but know in general welding stainless and carbon together isn't recommended in high stress applications.
I have a friend that works as a weld inspector that is good to bounce with, and one needs to keep a little track on things to get them good. But when done well they're not difficult to do and get without flaws. They're welded with stainless sticks to annealed steel, ><-ground joints, slow cooldown, works well and no cracks post HT ever, confident on their strength. And as I will grind them in from both sides I will always spot a flaw and be able to fix.

One tricky weld to pull off though was when I recently made a little hammer in soft steel, with welded on "hss1" tip to act as a carbide straightening hammer. Preheated the iron hammer head to full red, quick set and weld with stainless, and into stainless foil and ramp to austenitize all in one go without it cooling down 😅

I have a friend that works as a weld inspector that is good to bounce with, and one needs to keep a little track on things to get them good. But when done well they're not difficult to do and get without flaws. They're welded with stainless sticks to annealed steel, ><-ground joints, slow cooldown, works well and no cracks post HT ever, confident on their strength. And as I will grind them in from both sides I will always spot a flaw and be able to fix.

One tricky weld to pull off though was when I recently made a little hammer in soft steel, with welded on "hss1" tip to act as a carbide straightening hammer. Preheated the iron hammer head to full red, quick set and weld with stainless, and into stainless foil and ramp to austenitize all in one go without it cooling down 😅

I look forward to the impact or explosion welded san mai line.

Moritaka for one has welded stainless tangs for at least 20 years, and while there has been a lot of issues with their blades I don't think I've ever heard of a tang breaking off.
I would not worry, but then I didn't know either 😁

Back