Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
I have a friend that works as a weld inspector that is good to bounce with, and one needs to keep a little track on things to get them good. But when done well they're not difficult to do and get without flaws. They're welded with stainless sticks to annealed steel, ><-ground joints, slow cooldown, works well and no cracks post HT ever, confident on their strength. And as I will grind them in from both sides I will always spot a flaw and be able to fix.

One tricky weld to pull off though was when I recently made a little hammer in soft steel, with welded on "hss1" tip to act as a carbide straightening hammer. Preheated the iron hammer head to full red, quick set and weld with stainless, and into stainless foil and ramp to austenitize all in one go without it cooling down 😅
Not to derail, but you do this so that tangs don’t rust under the wood? Have you done this for a while or is this a recent upgrade?

Moritaka for one has welded stainless tangs for at least 20 years, and while there has been a lot of issues with their blades I don't think I've ever heard of a tang breaking off.
I would not worry, but then I didn't know either 😁
Yup, but there are bad examples of production knives with welds that often show cracks also, like older globals. Had one for sharpening recently, I think those might be welded post HT :/

Not to derail, but you do this so that tangs don’t rust under the wood? Have you done this for a while or is this a recent upgrade?
And having a soft adjustable tang is nice too! Since these are changed over from westerns tang needed replaced and why not stainless then.

I have a friend that works as a weld inspector that is good to bounce with, and one needs to keep a little track on things to get them good. But when done well they're not difficult to do and get without flaws. They're welded with stainless sticks to annealed steel, ><-ground joints, slow cooldown, works well and no cracks post HT ever, confident on their strength. And as I will grind them in from both sides I will always spot a flaw and be able to fix.

One tricky weld to pull off though was when I recently made a little hammer in soft steel, with welded on "hss1" tip to act as a carbide straightening hammer. Preheated the iron hammer head to full red, quick set and weld with stainless, and into stainless foil and ramp to austenitize all in one go without it cooling down 😅

Cool, thanks for the details!

I didn't doubt you at all, knowing you like to do things right, I figured you had probably tested or checked this some way :cool:

I can imagine welding that tip to a red hot hammer was fun haha...
I'm learning TIG, and my experience is setting stuff up, aligning and clamping down takes 10 minutes, the actual weld 10 seconds 😆

Moritaka for one has welded stainless tangs for at least 20 years, and while there has been a lot of issues with their blades I don't think I've ever heard of a tang breaking off.
I would not worry, but then I didn't know either 😁

Nah, I'm not worried.

I was mainly wondering if Robin had put it through some torture tests just to confirm for himself, and what the outcome would be in that case (like putting it through a bend test, or applying x amount of pressure until it snapped etc.)

I'm glad this was brought up, explained and put to bed. I have secretly been worrying the handle might snap off, leaving the blade firmly embedded in the victim, and I might not having enough time before the police arrive to extract it by other means and make an exit. I hate leaving evidence behind.

(maybe I should have cross-posted this to the new complaint thread?)

I'm glad this was brought up, explained and put to bed. I have secretly been worrying the handle might snap off, leaving the blade firmly embedded in the victim, and I might not having enough time before the police arrive to extract it by other means and make an exit. I hate leaving evidence behind.

(maybe I should have cross-posted this to the new complaint thread?)

Shouldn't you be using a beater knife for that? The risk of chipping on the spine, a rib, or scapula (depending on your angle of attack) just seems too great to risk for such a nice knife.

Last edited:
Nah, I'm not worried.

I was mainly wondering if Robin had put it through some torture tests just to confirm for himself, and what the outcome would be in that case (like putting it through a bend test, or applying x amount of pressure until it snapped etc.)
I do testbend them all some, but a flawed weld typically holds for that too, so scrutiny by eye is more reliable in this application ime. If there's a problem it's usually visible. Since this steel won't even airharden it doesn't get potential microcracks in the hardenable steel next to the weld, that can be the problem with other steels (like my first attempt at that "carbide"-tip hammer- the HSS bit broke down in pieces pretty instantly in use, and weld looked crap too :p - due to cooling too fast after the weld probably)

Cool with Tig!

I do testbend them all some, but a flawed weld typically holds for that too, so scrutiny by eye is more reliable in this application ime. If there's a problem it's usually visible. Since this steel won't even airharden it doesn't get potential microcracks in the hardenable steel next to the weld, that can be the problem with other steels (like my first attempt at that "carbide"-tip hammer- the HSS bit broke down in pieces pretty instantly in use, and weld looked crap too :p - due to cooling too fast after the weld probably)

Cool with Tig!

Cool, thanks for sharing.
At least you get what angle I'm coming from; it's just interest in the process 🙂

Cool, thanks for sharing.
At least you get what angle I'm coming from; it's just interest in the process 🙂
Haha right, very few understand how fun this is. I told my 80 year old neighbour a little about it and he turned almost lyrical, turns out he was the fixer to all these kind of tricky welds around here, showed me his stack of extended hss drills and such, and knew exactly. He was also primarily doing it with stainless sticks 😀

Haha right, very few understand how fun this is. I told my 80 year old neighbour a little about it and he turned almost lyrical, turns out he was the fixer to all these kind of tricky welds around here, showed me his stack of extended hss drills and such, and knew exactly. He was also primarily doing it with stainless sticks 😀

Yes, probably not many people on here get the joy of things like getting the first stick weld done where the slag just pops off on its own 😂

Got to love those old timers when they get excited!
I know a guy who used to be a contractor, he's close to 80 as well but whenever I call him with a question he's already on his way over to me 😀
He has a solution to just about everything, and has experience with just about anything.
It's amazing how you can search for a solution for days online, and he's just figured out something for himself 50 years ago already.

Anyway, I don't intend to make this a welding topic or anything ;)

To put the very slight additional cost for a kiri box in context, how many hours have many of us with slow internet connection/ typing skills wasted trying to grab a jump ball Dalman? I am very grateful and happy for this opportunity. The fact that it’s a KKF Special honyaki just makes it all the better. The Dalman branded kiri box is a nice addition - and none of my knives live in their boxes.

I received my private mass-drop of 20 gorgeous Dalman knives today. I could not be more pleased! They are stunning

What a way to close out the week! Time to enjoy a glass of wine
B95223FF-092B-4F1F-892A-AB8573055E55.jpeg
2415FAE6-DBBD-418B-9E5A-F64F57724695.jpeg
37C729F0-B3A5-4EC2-A531-F2D5673D26E2.jpeg
848ECAC9-BF87-455B-B438-3CCDB398492A.jpeg
EF05B7F8-36E5-4EB9-9834-2E68E2EAAFD8.jpeg
B72515EB-ED83-4A4E-BD39-999FA39330A9.jpeg
CF4E76FE-3AE8-4C8E-A5F3-3950616C70C1.jpeg
6B592B1F-A9C3-40BA-8129-9CEC59852E3A.jpeg

I received my private mass-drop of 20 gorgeous Dalman knives today. I could not be more pleased! They are stunning

What a way to close out the week! Time to enjoy a glass of wine
View attachment 111014View attachment 111015View attachment 111016View attachment 111017View attachment 111018View attachment 111019View attachment 111020View attachment 111021

Which are these? They aren't the ones for your clients, right? Thought they already got theirs. Did you just order 20 for yourself? Or are these the EU ones for the kkf massdrop? Confused.

Which are these? They aren't the ones for your clients, right? Thought they already got theirs. Did you just order 20 for yourself? Or are these the EU ones for the kkf massdrop? Confused.
Yes he got both kaeru and mine for his clients. When I was nearing finish on his 20 I raises the idea of kkf massdrop also, and 30.
Edit or actually 21 I think
19 210 stainless
1 240 honyaki
1 hss1 240 is what he got this round for himself and clients.

Yes he got both kaeru and mine for his clients. When I was nearing finish on his 20 I raises the idea of kkf massdrop also, and 30.
Edit or actually 21 I think
19 210 stainless
1 240 honyaki
1 hss1 240 is what he got this round for himself and clients.

Nice, thx! And Rocky: daaaaamn.

Btw, @RockyBasel, if you ever want to get your clients some math papers, feel free to hit me up. Each one may take me a year to write, but I can tell you’re playing the long game, so presumably it won’t be a problem if I deliver in 2041? I’ll give you a very reasonable hourly rate.

@ian not sure if this is just a sh*tpost, but you are welcome to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

"Two lovely people organized a group buy for a bunch of fancy knives from a sexy bladesmith and I joined up but then they like said “everyone also has to buy these fancy wooden boxes to put the knives in” and I was like “waaaa! i don’t like boxes and i’m allergic to wood and i don’t wanna spend the extra money and i have no closet space and i bet they were made in a factory that processes tree nuts” and everyone else was like “fancy boxes make me get up in the morning” and “i appreciate the good work the organizers are doing for free” and “it’s impossible to buy these knives otherwise, what’s another $20-$40 dollars?” and “i am a reasonable person with a mortgage with a competitive interest rate” and “the boxes will protect the knives better from damage” so AITA?"

I get the box angst. 25 years ago I purchased an ancient pre-WWII handplane which came with the original box. The box probably doubled or tripled the value of the plane. I actually got the plane to use, so I was all like, “omg must preserve the box for the next lucky caretaker”. Stuck it in a closet then 20 years later I was sending all my woodworking stuff to my brother in law. I had a sharp spike of anxiety when I went hunting for the box, like “omg did moths or termites or bugs eat the damn box which I haven’t seen for 20 years?”

So now my BiL has the damn box and he can worry about it. Whew.

Back