Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
Mixing the magic clay. It's made of snus leftovers, rust&suitapowder (hamon flux), fine clay, and mixed up to consistency with horses urine.
IMG_20210126_151711.jpg

Chefs have taught me never to leave handles sticking out from benches.
IMG_20210126_153106.jpg

Mixing the magic clay. It's made of snus leftovers, rust&suitapowder (hamon flux), fine clay, and mixed up to consistency with horses urine.
Chefs have taught me never to leave handles sticking out from benches.

Could you tell me which band saw you're using, and if you're happy with it?
Have been looking at a few, ideally one that can do miter cuts, but most of them have reviews stating they're inaccurate. Even ones that are €2k+ 😐

Could you tell me which band saw you're using, and if you're happy with it?
Have been looking at a few, ideally one that can do miter cuts, but most of them have reviews stating they're inaccurate. Even ones that are €2k+ 😐
Cheapo 💩-saw only.. "bernardo 🤷‍♂️

A last fine-straightening before the big time investment that is finish grinding. I managed to fix all big warps and wandering tips during quenches. So far completely lossless.
IMG_20210128_082506.jpg

Many of them have a light sori, but not sure how much if any I will keep though finishing.
IMG_20210128_082658.jpg

A last fine-straightening before the big time investment that is finish grinding. I managed to fix all big warps and wandering tips during quenches. So far completely lossless. View attachment 111794
Many of them have a light sori, but not sure how much if any I will keep though finishing.
View attachment 111795

For the uninitiated, a sori refers to the bend caused by a differential heat treat. Think of the bend in a Japanese sword - the sword is straight before quenching and bends upwards due to the expansion of the hard steel at the edge during the quench (the steel under the clay hardens slower and does not expand).

Something something crystalline structure something something austenite rapidly cools into martensite blabla steel cut very good wow enough to bring honor to the daimyo chop onions n stuff

If anyone gets a knife with a sori, you are lucky :p

Last edited:
For the uninitiated, a sori refers to the bend caused by a differential heat treat. Think of the bend in a Japanese sword - the sword is straight before quenching and bends upwards due to the expansion of the hard steel at the edge during the quench.

If anyone gets a knife with a sori, you are one lucky bastard...
Sometimes "negative" - downwards happen too. But on this one it happened during a first failed quench. A cane-dagger I made last week. It's also a part of why I wasnt entirely happy with keeping these yo-handles. Had some big movements on the tangs both up and down in quenches.
IMG_20210125_160343.jpg

Latest posts

Back