Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
A last fine-straightening before the big time investment that is finish grinding. I managed to fix all big warps and wandering tips during quenches. So far completely lossless. View attachment 111794
Many of them have a light sori, but not sure how much if any I will keep though finishing.
View attachment 111795
Oh man, you must not have faced magnetic north when quenching. That's why you got the warp...
Back to the urine board...

Sometimes "negative" - downwards happen too. But on this one it happened during a first failed quench. A cane-dagger I made last week. It's also a part of why I wasnt entirely happy with keeping these yo-handles. Had some big movements on the tangs both up and down in quenches. View attachment 111798

That's interesting to know. Also very cool pokey thing.
How does that happen when you have clay specifically at the spine - wouldn't the expanding hard edge always push out to make an upwards curve? I imagine it's a bit more risky with a thin blade like this, but interesting that you see that on kitchen knives at 50mm+ in blank width too.

Sometimes "negative" - downwards happen too. But on this one it happened during a first failed quench. A cane-dagger I made last week. It's also a part of why I wasnt entirely happy with keeping these yo-handles. Had some big movements on the tangs both up and down in quenches. View attachment 111798
I'm so sori that happened! :(

That's interesting to know. Also very cool pokey thing.
How does that happen when you have clay specifically at the spine - wouldn't the expanding hard edge always push out to make an upwards curve? I imagine it's a bit more risky with a thin blade like this, but interesting that you see that on kitchen knives at 50mm+ in blank width too.
Yes. On that dagger there was no clay involved and my bad that caused it to fail quench (didn't get hard mostly).

Do you guys like me to keep the sori in them? It's mostly a matter of rounding and polishing on the wheel instead of the platen.
IMG_20210128_084925.jpg

Thanks for the explanations, very interesting.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the visual with sori.
And there is already enough wabi sabi spirit on these blades 😉❤️

Cold water helps too 🙈

Talking more about neck knives then?

Yea, but hearing your input is interesting! Have looked them all through now and there's not going to be a option to not have it at all. All 240s have it more or less, 210s too but less pronounced. Not so much in the 180s and 270. So it just wouldnt be fun grinding it all away 😛

The (increasingly occasional) shop helper Asta Ironpants. She likes to clean the shop by eating, and then vomits steel at home. I try to tell her she doesnt need to, then she looks like this.
IMG_20210128_151854.jpg

How old is the hardness tester. Not used to seeing analog gauges on testing equipment much any more.
I don’t know it's not marked with production date or year. But it's calibrated and accurate enough.
Edit: maybe I should expand on "accurate enough". It runs +-0,5 as it's specified to with it's calibration block. A bigger problem for inaccuracy in the tests I did above is the knife sample spots not being perfect flats. For better testing I use prepared samples, like when dialing in a heat treatment procedure. In this case above on a knife sample, I don’t expect fully reliable reads, but pretty close still.

Last edited:
I don’t know it's not marked with production date or year. But it's calibrated and accurate enough.
Edit: maybe I should expand on "accurate enough". It runs +-0,5 as it's specified to with it's calibration block. A bigger problem for inaccuracy in the tests I did above is the knife sample spots not being perfect flats. For better testing I use prepared samples, like when dialing in a heat treatment procedure. In this case above on a knife sample, I don’t expect fully reliable reads, but pretty close still.

Didn't mean to imply inaccurate with old. More that it is neat piece of equipment and most of what I see now has digital readouts. A lot of older equipment is very well made and if calibrated accurate.

Didn't mean to imply inaccurate with old. More that it is neat piece of equipment and most of what I see now has digital readouts. A lot of older equipment is very well made and if calibrated accurate.
Yea absolutely :) I wanted to have it in the living room but there was protests, so it resides in the bedroom instead. It's a old swedish made durometer by alpha.

Back