Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
That's a gorgeous piece of (quite hard, I imagine) wood!
Right, hard wood like this deserves a good polish job.

It just fits so well here and I canโ€™t stop thinking about it so why not...

Did 'someone' ;) issue a custom order to Dan Prendergast lately?

That's a purdy forging!

Ok we can do more videos

Thatโ€™s what I saw you making at the end of your last video that looked so familiar. Looks like youโ€™re taking good care of it.๐Ÿ˜†

On a serious note, I really do appreciate the videos. Being a beginner knife and handle maker I pick up a lot from watching you work.

Nice!! Will the handles be distributed randomly or how will this be "decided"?

lookin forward to it ๐Ÿ˜

Nice!! Will the handles be distributed randomly or how will this be "decided"?

lookin forward to it ๐Ÿ˜
yeah, I was just going back to my order to see if I forgot...either one is fine but seeing the finished product is making me lust for the burl-esk wood :p

OMG curly maple ๐Ÿ˜

I used to work with curly maple a lot when I was into woodworking. FYI for those lucky enough to get one of those handles, there's ways to really make the curl pop via using aniline dyes. Personally I just used a single color, but there's also a 2-tone process you can do as well.
https://woodandshop.com/how-to-make-figured-maple-pop-aniline-dye/
FYI, the pattern in the grain is formed by the weight of the tree compressing the fibers of the trunk, causing them to bend in and out instead of being straight. That change in direction is what causes the fibers to absorb dye more heavily in the "stripes", which is what you take advantage of with aniline dyes. Happens in about 5-10% of maple trees, I believe. That bit of nerdy information adds to my deep appreciation of curly maple. I used to pay around 4-5x extra for curly vs regular maple lumber, I think, so it's true added value to the knife.

OMG curly maple ๐Ÿ˜

I used to work with curly maple a lot when I was into woodworking. FYI for those lucky enough to get one of those handles, there's ways to really make the curl pop via using aniline dyes. Personally I just used a single color, but there's also a 2-tone process you can do as well.
https://woodandshop.com/how-to-make-figured-maple-pop-aniline-dye/
FYI, the pattern in the grain is formed by the weight of the tree compressing the fibers of the trunk, causing them to bend in and out instead of being straight. That change in direction is what causes the fibers to absorb dye more heavily in the "stripes", which is what you take advantage of with aniline dyes. Happens in about 5-10% of maple trees, I believe. That bit of nerdy information adds to my deep appreciation of curly maple. I used to pay around 4-5x extra for curly vs regular maple lumber, I think, so it's true added value to the knife.
Yes I love this stuff too. Indeed a nice way to finish like you linked also with stain. If one wants to do this on a already finished handle though, be sure to sand past any previous oil finish. Spirit based stain might be a good route to make sure in case the wood have been oil treated before (like my handles) and then to keep in mind is that some stains can tend to leak if not sealed in with a laquer-like finish.

Just here to thank @RDalman for keeping us updated on the progress of knife production with these cool videos.
For me, it really adds value to this knife. I know I look romenticopathic, but I'm tired ๐Ÿ™ƒ.
And I'm sure that's true for a lot of us.
Not like any other knife bought on the web.
Thanks to the videos and updates, you have given us real insight. So thanks.

May I ask you what has been your experience with this massdrop. has it changed from your daily work (aside from how much can be). Did you enjoy it, would you do it again?
You heard me, all these questions.

I obviously can't wait to receive it.

Kudos to @nakiriknaifuwaifu @RockyBasel and @lemeneid ,for putting this together!

May I ask you what has been your experience with this massdrop. has it changed from your daily work (aside from how much can be). Did you enjoy it, would you do it again?
You heard me, all these questions.

Kudos to @nakiriknaifuwaifu @RockyBasel and @lemeneid ,for putting this together!

Ask me after I figure out the f0cking quagmire that is US customs and import duty/tax on 10k worth of knives.
:angiefavorite:

Jokes aside, things are progressing as planned, just takes a lot of legwork to build the logistics up from scratch. It isn't over everyone has a knife in their hands. If all goes well, then sure - you may see another massdrop ;)

Jokes aside, things are progressing as planned, just takes a lot of legwork to build the logistics up from scratch. It isn't over everyone has a knife in their hands. If all goes well, then sure - you may see another massdrop ;)
Do agree not over 'till everyone has their knife (you know, the one with the third handle starting bottom left (lol)) in their hands.
Just wanted to have robin point of view

Do agree not over 'till everyone has their knife (you know, the one with the third handle starting bottom left (lol)) in their hands.
Just wanted to have robin point of view
It's actually really heavy alot of the time working many knives like this. But for me it is effective overall. I lost more than a week to sick kid and stuff but I think on schedule still. When shipped out I will be happy, and take a week or two off (but will be some home-reno and such) Hope everyone will be happy with what they get also, I try to not rush and keep level.

Ask me after I figure out the f0cking quagmire that is US customs and import duty/tax on 10k worth of knives.
:angiefavorite:

So it depends on how good gifts folks send you ๐Ÿคช

Back