Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Hockey3081

Reaction score
I wasn’t really asking as part of this massdrop, but in general. I was wondering/hoping if I could buy a 2nd handle afterwards.

I expect the answer is no since he doesn’t mention it on his website, but hope springs eternal.
Totally get it and maybe I didn’t articulate it properly. Ben may correct me but I think [logistically] he would have to have your blade in hand to make the second handle to ensure a precise fit as no 2 blades are the same. Whether or not he offers the option after the fact, he would have to clarify.

KAMON Knives

Reaction score
That's correct @Hockey3081. For the handle fit up I need the knife with me. It's still precise but made by hand and therefore fitted individually to a certain blade.

The organization of this mass drop will make it too confusing to deliver the knives with a second handle I fear @Delat. That is really for several reasons regarding the organization around the making and packing of the knives but also the distribution which I don't do in this case.
However in general for a custom knife, a second handle is an option I offer. The reason for why I don't mention it on my website is because the changing handle part is not really the intended use of my handles beeing a take down construction but since they can be taken down anyways, it's an option.

KAMON Knives

Reaction score
Definitely @Knivperson! I'll share different important and/or interesting stages on my Instagram and then link them here. I think that should work?

As I said I'm very excited about that project. My reasons for excitement are probably different than those of prospect customers though. The customer will get a finished knife and mostly look forward to that instead of the process behind the making.
However my main focus lies on how to plan the different stages out and when to do what. Not only will it need a lot of discipline to pull off, as at times making so many of the same knives can be challenging due to repetition, but also will need a well thought through plot to be efficient and not loose too much time because of a lack of organization.

But I don't worry too much. In fact technically speaking I've already started with the mass drop knives. I've been partly sourcing the materials necessary 2 weeks ago so I'm good in time :). I'll finish the batch which is on my workbench right now and then start with the mass drop knives as long as everything I need arrives in time.

WiriWiri

Reaction score
Ah well, I can‘t pretend not to be slightly envious - I took NKW‘s ’go to sleep’ advice to heart, necked a load of vallies and woke up 3 days later with no Kamon joy - but best wishes to the lucky winners who made the cut this time around. Sounds a cracking knife in prospect and Mr Ben K seems well engaged with the whole process.

I guess I can be afford to be magnanimous, as London‘s leading psychic* assured me that my Massdrop perfect knife would be on the way pronto - my destiny was set with the Xerxes misfortune, but fate cannot be denied (she said amongst cackles)

I’ve taken that to mean that some sort of Final Destination thing may well happen here, that the time line of fate will brutally correct in my favour. I am eighth on the waitlist after all, which may just be doable - the people on here do tend to have a lot of sharp hazards at home, so the Grim Reaper is unlikely to have to be too inventive on this mission.

Still, in the very unlikely event that the hand of fate is denied here, I can always console myself with the knowledge that I wouldn’t have been truly satisfied until I tried a Kamon S-Grind anyhow
😉

*Mad Brenda from the pub

xsmx13

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Massdrop reveal day was a sad one. My little one got sick (now much better and running around like her usual crazy person self), my HVAC system died (goodbye $11,000.00) with 104-105° temps in the forecast, and... I ended up way down the list for the knife I want more than any other... a 260mm Kamon denty finish gyuto. So when faced with such circumstances, what is a knife addict to do? Be thankful I wasn't on the hook for a knife with a big expense looming? Nah... I went the self-medicating route! Actually, this was partially customs that came at the right time, but I have to say, this Markin wx-15 (52100 equivalent) came out amazing. If you haven't check out his work, do it, it's well worth the wait and amazing in its own right.

For those of you who won the lottery, enjoy! Kamon's work is nothing short of amazing. I'll probably begin anew my search for a denty gyuto come next payday. 😁

Attachments