Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the options you get are context-dependent.

but at the very least, you can typically pay natively with credit cards. example screenshot showing the feature:

View attachment 155570
Thanks. I’ve never went to that step so it is better than I thought. Basically about a 3.9% fee. Assuming a 1.5% cash back from the card and no foreign exchange fee, the net cost is about 2.4%. Not too bad.

Thanks. I’ve never went to that step so it is better than I thought. Basically about a 3.9% fee. Assuming a 1.5% cash back from the card and no foreign exchange fee, the net cost is about 2.4%. Not too bad.

first, that 3.9% fee is not the foreign transaction fee i'm talking about. that is a fee that paypal (not your card) is charging you. they typically charge something like this when you pay F&F with CC. it is partially to offset the CC merchant fees they incur. and partially for profit. it also depends on the country when you're doing an intl payment. it's pretty much like paying the "G&S" fee, but the sender experiences it on his end. if you did G&S instead of F&F, you wouldn't see it, but that same fee (probably identical amount) then comes out of the recipient's take.

1.5% cash back? do you mean chase freedom unlimited? ("Chase gives YOU the Freedom to get yourself into unlimited debt!"®)

if so, fyi that card does charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. and i'm almost certain that this transaction would incur one since you're probably sending it to a non-US PP account. even if you get +1.5% cash back, with the -3% fee, you're still at -1.5%.
so you're better off using a card that doesn't have a foreign fee. typically the best you can do then is 1% cash back.

also btw, paying in foreign currency is not a good predictor of if you get hit with this foreign transaction fee. likewise, paying in USD instead will not save you from it. it's not that simple. you get hit with that fee pretty much if a foreign bank is somewhere in the transaction. like i said, you basically can't know it for sure ahead of time. they don't give us peon consumers tools to simulate or trace a transaction. :( so when in doubt, don't get greedy with those CC points, especially on a big transaction. use your basic-ass, no-foreign-transaction-fee card and settle for 1% cash back.

Last edited:
first, that 3.9% fee is not the foreign transaction fee i'm talking about. that is a fee that paypal (not your card) is charging you. they typically charge something like this when you pay F&F with CC. it is partially to offset the CC merchant fees they incur. and partially for profit. it also depends on the country when you're doing an intl payment. it's pretty much like paying the "G&S" fee, but the sender experiences it on his end. if you did G&S instead of F&F, you wouldn't see it, but that same fee (probably identical amount) then comes out of the recipient's take.

1.5% cash back? do you mean chase freedom unlimited? ("Chase gives YOU the Freedom to get yourself into unlimited debt!"®)

if so, fyi that card does charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. and i'm almost certain that this transaction would incur one since you're probably sending it to a non-US PP account. even if you get +1.5% cash back, with the -3% fee, you're still at -1.5%.
so you're better off using a card that doesn't have a foreign fee. typically the best you can do then is 1% cash back.

also btw, paying in foreign currency is not a good predictor of if you get hit with this foreign transaction fee. likewise, paying in USD instead will not save you from it. it's not that simple. you get hit with that fee pretty much if a foreign bank is somewhere in the transaction. like i said, you basically can't know it for sure ahead of time. they don't give us peon consumers tools to simulate or trace a transaction. :( so when in doubt, don't get greedy with those CC points, especially on a big transaction. use your basic-ass, no-foreign-transaction-fee card and settle for 1% cash back.
I’m talking about BofA travel rewards card. That card charges no foreign transaction fee and gives 1.5% cash back on everything. I have multiple cards that don’t foreign transaction fee but this one and discover are the only 2 that don’t charge an annual fee. The discover it miles card is supposed to charge no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and gives 1.5 % cash back as well but I’ve never used it for foreign transaction so not sure about its foreign exchange rate spread.

the options you get are context-dependent.

but at the very least, you can typically pay natively with credit cards. example screenshot showing the feature:

View attachment 155570

For Canada, I don’t get that option. If I pay from my bank, PayPal does the conversion, but if I pay by card, it automatically lets the card do the conversion. Thing is, if I let PayPal do the conversion using their ****** rates, their fee is $3CAD. If I run the conversion back to my card, the fee increases to the point that I’m still paying the same amount as if I used PayPal’s conversion. When doing F&F, PayPal screws you no matter what

Next time, if it happens, we chose a different carrier. I feel bad about how much of a nightmare that turned out to be. It really did suck.

Hey, no big deal, it's a cost of doing business, as it were. You were (and presumably still are :D ) a perfect seller. And I have a lefty-bias Dalman, complete with hamon at no extra charge.

Guess I’m first?
AE1F54FB-7E8D-47F2-B707-9D3CDE655847.jpeg

How do you pronounce Kamon? ka-MOAN, COME-on, KA-mun?

@SirCutAlot sounded like he was joking but it's actually true 😅😂.
@JayS20 and @M1k3 are correct too with their expectations.

It's not Cayman. That is what I've heard most from English speaking guys. But even then I don't really mind. Call me Benjamin, Ben, Cayman, Schnucki... As long as I know you're talking to me we're good ;).

@SirCutAlot sounded like he was joking but it's actually true 😅😂.
@JayS20 and @M1k3 are correct too with their expectations.

It's not Cayman. That is what I've heard most from English speaking guys. But even then I don't really mind. Call me Benjamin, Ben, Cayman, Schnucki... As long as I know you're talking to me we're good ;).
"a rose Kamon by any other name would smell just as sweet forge just as well"
-Shakespeare NKW

So happy they arrived safely @lemeneid. Unpackaged yours already? 👀

A thing to be said that I almost forgot:

The the knife sits inside those boxes wrapped in a cardboard sheet. The knife is within my black paper wrap but the Saya is delivered separately within this cardboard wrap, but outside of the black paper wrap. I'm just saying so no one is confused on where the Saya is hiding and maybe accidentally throws it into the trash with the packaging.

The Saya itself works best if you shove your knife in there sliding with the spine on the upper/spine rubber spacers. I think that's somewhat standard procedure same as with wooden sayas too because the edge could jam into wood also but yeah... Just saying ^^.

So happy they arrived safely @lemeneid. Unpackaged yours already? 👀

A thing to be said that I almost forgot:

The the knife sits inside those boxes wrapped in a cardboard sheet. The knife is within my black paper wrap but the Saya is delivered separately within this cardboard wrap, but outside of the black paper wrap. I'm just saying so no one is confused on where the Saya is hiding and maybe accidentally throws it into the trash with the packaging.

The Saya itself works best if you shove your knife in there sliding with the spine on the upper/spine rubber spacers. I think that's somewhat standard procedure same as with wooden sayas too because the edge could jam into wood also but yeah... Just saying ^^.
It’s received well man. Handling is nice so far. Will be sending out the ones I have tomorrow, while the guys local here come and pick theirs up tonight.

And the packing box is overkill 😂😂
Mines about 237g, is that on the high end or low end?
023481DB-0987-4F7B-B5C9-D84314117EAB.jpeg

E0AA9945-D29F-4C33-A67C-7D7BFE35FAE5.jpeg

Back