Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t really understand the guided system followed by hand polishing progression. Guess it just seems like it’s going to negate the benefits of a guided edge to then work on it freehand after. What’s the philosophy here?

The knives look absolutely spectacular. Inspirational. 👍

No you're right. That doesn't make sense if you've got other better options. The problem is that the shinko doesn't have a fine enough stone I guess. It says it's 6k and on paper therefore even finer than the 5k shapton pro, but it doesn't feel finer. The shapton produces a way better edge at least the way I'm doing it.
So I set the edge on shinko 6k and the 5k shapton pro by hand can be understood more like a strop if that makes sense? Not saying I use it like a strop but it's just used to finish a set edge. Hope that makes sense.

At the end of the day I'm just looking for a nice ootb edge. Not concentrating too much on particular angles as everyone will eventually set their own edges and angles no matter if they sharpen guided or free hand.

Phew, Think I just made it in the nick of time, Payment just sent to that Basel fellow, so hoping to be still in with a shout

I have been trapped in a aryuvedic health retreat for a little too long, At first it was pretty bearable. Someone well meaning had paid for this and frankly it was nice to have somewhere quiet away from the kids to sleep for once, plus a couple of the fruitarians were hot. And it wasn‘t too hard to get around the digital detox BS - I had a mobile phone and, strangely enough, the ’digital disruption field’ apparently put in place by the resort‘s resident team of Reiki Grandmasters seemed not to affect it one jot

But it became increasingly clear that they were trying to mount some kind of intervention as the stay dragged on.. By the time mention of the Kamon filtered through to me I had already resolved to leave this ludicrous hippy cult. They did try to stop me, sending the aforementioned Reiki grandmasters to intervene

I still don’t know what Reiki grandmasters are good at. It is not fighting for sure

Anyway, I think I’m back. I would still like a Kamon if at all possible, pretty please.

Phew, Think I just made it in the nick of time, Payment just sent to that Basel fellow, so hoping to be still in with a shout

I have been trapped in a aryuvedic health retreat for a little too long, At first it was pretty bearable. Someone well meaning had paid for this and frankly it was nice to have somewhere quiet away from the kids to sleep for once, plus a couple of the fruitarians were hot. And it wasn‘t too hard to get around the digital detox BS - I had a mobile phone and, strangely enough, the ’digital disruption field’ apparently put in place by the resort‘s resident team of Reiki Grandmasters seemed not to affect it one jot

But it became increasingly clear that they were trying to mount some kind of intervention as the stay dragged on.. By the time mention of the Kamon filtered through to me I had already resolved to leave this ludicrous hippy cult. They did try to stop me, sending the aforementioned Reiki grandmasters to intervene

I still don’t know what Reiki grandmasters are good at. It is not fighting for sure

Anyway, I think I’m back. I would still like a Kamon if at all possible, pretty please.
Nice too see you back and hopefuly you get the Kamon, it beats any Reiki grandmaster 6-0 and some zombies too if needed 😁

Question is: do you have photos of the fruitarians? Asking for a friend.

Never let reiki grandmasters stop your Austrian Kamon Gyuto 😂😂😂

Almost there - if there are any outstanding folks (I mean, you are all outstanding in a different sense) please get the payments in. We want to start shipping before crazy holiday shipping begins

Are you guys going to post a list confirming payment? I paid yesterday but sending money off into the ether always leaves me with a suspicion that it either disappeared en route or arrived somewhere unintended.

Are you guys going to post a list confirming payment? I paid yesterday but sending money off into the ether always leaves me with a suspicion that it either disappeared en route or arrived somewhere unintended.
Still waiting on the bank transfers to hit @RockyBasel's account before posting.

For those paying with PayPal, I've sent a PM to those who still haven't sent funds over.

If you paid with Paypal but you haven't received a PM from me you are good most likely

Thanks for your patience folks, please keep your eyes on this thread for a few more days.

Still waiting on the bank transfers to hit @RockyBasel's account before posting.

For those paying with PayPal, I've sent a PM to those who still haven't sent funds over.

If you paid with Paypal but you haven't received a PM from me you are good most likely

Thanks for your patience folks, please keep your eyes on this thread for a few more days.
I haven’t received an PM, so I’m assuming I’m good. I paid.

Don’t know if this is a proper place to talk about it but what is the best way to send money in foreign currency? I used Wise which costed me 845.52 USD to send 770.50 CHF, but how about other options?

Don’t know if this is a proper place to talk about it but what is the best way to send money in foreign currency? I used Wise which costed me 845.52 USD to send 770.50 CHF, but how about other options?
Wise would be the cheapest option, cheaper than banks too.
I compared with another transfer using bank and it was lower.
All I can say now is I’m giving the middle finger to PayPal.

I have HSBC global money account which charge about 1.3% spread but it can only send fund to another HSBC account. My other banks are indeed much expensive than Wise.

Paypal hit me with a $31 fee, about $875 total. How does Wise work?
Don’t take my quotation as truth.
Btw, I am double converting here as I am in SG and my currency is SGD.
so its SGD > USD > CHF and its still cheaper

EBD8F5FE-31D8-4563-B9A4-B9A0549A600D.png

True that. But one thing is for sure: PayPal rips you off - both. Whether it is official or hidden fees/cost (unfavorable conversion rates), PayPal is a rip-off.
PayPal as a user in SG is even worse, we don’t have access to FnF, plus we have to convert at an exorbitant rate plus fees. I’ve calculated it once, they take up to a 10% cut for overseas transfers regardless where you are sending the cash to.
So to those getting the Kamon, you will probably have to pay another 10% more just to PayPal cash to Rocky. And that isn’t a small amount for such a large purchase.

Back