Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to cook with my 225 Kamon a cuttple of times. Loving it tons. This thing ist effing amazing. Very well belanced not only concerning weight but every other aspect, too. I'm really scared to break the tip but onions are soooo much fun with it. I only use it when everything around the cutting board is well organized and i'm not stressed or in a hurry. Thanks to everyone involved and especially to Ben @KAMON Knives

He just seems to be happy making w/e the **** HE wants to make and has no issue selling it. He doesn't even take orders for his Forgies any more, he just knocks a batch out when he fancies and sells them.

Keep it simple. Kippington workponies just like his last batch which were at a great price point.

Personally, I'd be happy with a @Kippington drop, but unless things change dramatically I think it would be a hard pass from Jules.

For my own partisan tastes I'd like to see something in one of the new steels from @Larrin (MagnaCut or Apex Ultra) and from a North American maker. Bazes and Horn come to mind and I'd include @HSC /// Knives as an expat. I'd also like to see a <$750 US price point.
I think the largest problem is that not that many makers are set up to produce thirty plus knives in a relatively tight time frame. That number dwindles further because many makers that could do it won't see much advantage for them in taking on the task.
Outside North America Joel Black, Fredrik Spåre, and Radiona Breg come to mind but I think Spåre is the only one who might consider it. Perhaps one of the other Scandinavian makers? Eastern European makers?

I think the largest problem is that not that many makers are set up to produce thirty plus knives in a relatively tight time frame. That number dwindles further because many makers that could do it won't see much advantage for them in taking on the task.
I hadn’t really considered this point. It makes me wonder if for mass drops to be viable in the future there has to be a change in the parameters to make it more appealing - smaller batches, longer time frames, greater flexibility or whatever

For my own partisan tastes I'd like to see something in one of the new steels from @Larrin (MagnaCut or Apex Ultra) and from a North American maker. Bazes and Horn come to mind and I'd include @HSC /// Knives as an expat. I'd also like to see a <$750 US price point.
Pretty sure the economics of these steels dictate san mai knives, which would make <$750 a tough target to hit.

Pretty sure the economics of these steels dictate san mai knives, which would make <$750 a tough target to hit.
@HSC /// Knives made some mono steel MagnaCut gyutos @<$750 but his new Languedoc workshop is still a work in progress as far as I know.
Apex Ultra won't be released until March so I think the exact price point is mostly conjecture at this juncture. I may be wrong but I don't believe it is a PM steel.

happy new year folks

2 of 3 packages are here - 16 knives in total

as @KAMON Knives said, the final package was delayed but is now moving - will keep everyone updated
the goal is to send all of the knives out at the same time

huge thank you to all my NA peeps for your patience thus far

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-02 at 11.57.36 PM.jpeg

@HSC /// Knives made some mono steel MagnaCut gyutos @<$750 but his new Languedoc workshop is still a work in progress as far as I know.

I think MagnaCut would have some appeal, and hope it could be done for less than $750, as HSCIII did with a couple microbatches. For reference, the cost when MagnaCut was released in April was $132.48 for a sheet that was .103/.113" X 3" X 36". Not sure of availability. HSCIII used monosteel construction for those knives.

I think it's worth exploring doing smaller batches. Even 5-10 of something special (could be as simple as an uncommon length or height, upgraded handle, etc.) would be fun. Makers could do the work in smaller batches or over longer timeframes if they wanted.

as @KAMON Knives said, the final package was delayed but is now moving - will keep everyone updated

Hope that third package shows up soon!

happy new year folks

2 of 3 packages are here - 16 knives in total

huge thank you to all my NA peeps for your patience thus far

View attachment 158800
Slow poke! We've already forgotten and are suggesting names for the next one!

Frederick Spare has been doing multiple batches of 10 at a time for Modern Cooking so seems like he’s amenable to that sort of thing. His prices are pretty reasonable for a Western maker.

Martin Huber I believe has a couple guys working for him so might have capacity for a production run.

Mert Tansu's HVB semi-production line might be another option.

And it looks like Jannis/Xerxes is back in the saddle but appears to be having so much fun making tamahagane he might not be interested in picking back up the mass drop.

Frederick Spare has been doing multiple batches of 10 at a time for Modern Cooking so seems like he’s amenable to that sort of thing. His prices are pretty reasonable for a Western maker.

Martin Huber I believe has a couple guys working for him so might have capacity for a production run.

Mert Tansu's HVB semi-production line might be another option.

And it looks like Jannis/Xerxes is back in the saddle but appears to be having so much fun making tamahagane he might not be interested in picking back up the mass drop.
No problem, just make it a tamahagane mass drop 😁

My whiskers are twitching here; the Kamon must be close. Or at least I got a feeling that it was worth checking the tracking today,

It sat in customs for the festive period, but finally cleared Tuesday, DHL processing it in their delivery depot yesterday. There seems a limit to how long those DHL barstewards can sit on their hands now, even allowing for glorious British incompetency and COVID.

Keenly anticipating now. The wife’s just about accepted the ‘need’ for a whopping 300mm Suji upgrade over the festive period - the thin slicing demos were quite impressive it had to be said - so I think the ground‘s set for me to sneak another one in just about now. Good thing too, as I suspect even she’ll notice the introduction of a similarly lengthy Denty Kamon to the knife rack, towering above the Tanaka and Sakai 240s. Oh, that and the small matters of the blue-grey Ku finish, the denty holes, and the double-penis-holed torpedo handle.

I’ll never get away with this one. I‘m working on my justifications/excuses/prayers now

Meglio Knives is offering a 10" Western Chef Knife in Magnacut for $295.00
10" Western Chef in Magnacut

Perhaps he may create a custom for a Massdrop.
Not to down this makers work but my personal thought is that a mass drop should be aimed at a maker who’s work is difficult to obtain. If a maker has their books open and knives for sale on their website then anyone could just order exactly what they wanted and not be limited to the restrictions that accompany a mass order

it has begun :dancingcow:

by the way, i have not yet been invoiced for customs/duties - but I wanted to get these knives out to you all as soon as possible.

Apparently the peepeepoopooheads at FedEx will be sending me the bill in the next few weeks, so I'll keep you all updated if anything significant happens (which I do not expect)

265083872_594921651601094_3593612724268393752_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back