Masters of R2/SG2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinyunggyun

Banned
Reaction score
What are some of the best makers or brands for R2 steel? Mostly for thin lightweight gyutos.

Shibata comes to mind. Tanakas R2 line is highly sought after, although I haven’t used any.

only R2/SG2 knives that Id personally consider are Shigeki Tanaka (own one of these) or Myojin.

I prefer my Myojin to my Shibata but they're both good knives, the Shibata being more of laser and the Myojin a bit closer to a light midweight. I think the difference is in grind and feel rather than treatment of the alloy.

I’ve tried many makers and steel-wise none of them is really bad. Even Shun sg2 is decent. Or you can say none of them is magical.

Grind-wise I like Myojin the best (but the polish cause suction sometimes). Takamura and S Tanaka are also nice. The performance/price ratio of Takamura is unbeatable if you can get used to the small size (210*45) and tiny handle.

I believe Takamura has been making kitchen knives from R2 longer than anyone, and their performance is sort of legendary for the price. As mentioned above, the classic red handle doesn't come in a 240 and the heel height is rather short, but it outcuts many much more expensive knives. The OOTB edge tends to be aggressive and prone to microchipping, but after the first sharpening session, you're good.

I was also quite pleased with my Sukenari if you're looking for something more middleweight. Sukenari blades have fabulous heat treatments and nice convex grinds that move very well through food. If you get the damascus clad ones the fit/finish is incredible. It's normally pretty good, but I've heard that some of the edges on the choil/spine of the hairline (non-clad) series aren't very rounded. (No first-hand experience with those though). But I'm a big fan of Sukenari.

From experience I would suggest the Shigeki Tanaka SG2/R2 black damascus is great. I have a Takamura petty as well and I highly recommend their price points are great. I've yet to try others such as Nigara and Shibata.

Makoto Sakura might fit the bill. Not sure how the steel compares to other R2/SG2 knives but they are definitely thin and lightweight.

Is there wide variation in heat treat for R2? I don't know why I'm under the impression that it requires a narrower range of heat treat options than most other steels.

Takamura and Tanaka are great choices - as already mentioned. As @btbyrd said, the cheaper red handled Takamuras (Migaki) can be prone to microchipping if handled sub-optimally. On the bright side they are easily restored on stones and a micro bevel will make them more durable. At their price point, a great intro to R2 knives.

Honourable mentions to Shiro Kamo and Yu Kurosaki. @Matt Jacobs - what was it you hated about your Kurosaki?
I've got also got R2 knives from Shiro Kamo, Mr Itou, Takeshi Saji and Mert Tansu. None have had enough use to form an opinion.

Last edited:
Yu Kurosaki IME does the steel well.

Does anyone have any experiences with Shiki's R2/SG2 monosteel knives? (I'm aware of their "Black Dragon" damascus-style ones.)

While not SG2, akifusa SRS-15 is in the same class and maybe less chippy than some SG2. I only have their paring knife, but since takamura isn’t available anywhere they are a nice moderate price option. I do like their D handled paring knife.

While not SG2, akifusa SRS-15 is in the same class and maybe less chippy than some SG2. I only have their paring knife, but since takamura isn’t available anywhere they are a nice moderate price option. I do like their D handled paring knife.
I had a Richmond SRS-15 and loved that knife, such a great pro knife.

I think SG2 is one of those steel where forging doesn't really make a big difference but a proper HT is much more effective with the final result. Unlike VG-10 where forging makes difference in addition to good HT.
Takamura comes to my mind in terms of SG2 and other Takefu makers. Most of them have a really good HT, but the grind is what separates the good, the bad and the ugly.
Even the factory-made knife is pretty decent when it comes with SG-2 (Shun, Miyabi, Tojiro, Seki made)

I really like Tanaka and Itou R2 but don't recall any really thin and light R2 knives (friends here have told me about Takamura). For that one, I really like Nakagawa ginsan though.

I don't have experience with any other R2/SG2 knives beyond my Makoto bunka. My understanding is that Makoto doesn't forge the knives, just finishes them - but this knife cuts as well as any of my carbon knives. I'm a home cook, so can't speak to how long it holds an edge, but has been pretty easy for a noobie like me to sharpen.

What kurosaki did you have and why did you hate it? I have a 240mm gyuto and I love it.

Ditto, I quite like both my Kurosaki and Shiro Kamo. Very different knives but I love using both.

For the OP, the Kamo is a 210mm R2 midweight, pronnounced righty-biased grind, pretty tall - much taller than the Kurosaki, and very tough. Did not come with rounded spine/choil which was surprising for the price range but was very easy to do myself. His R2 knives come in damascus - I haven’t seen him release any non-damascus R2. I have no hesitation recommending it if looking for those specs.

My Kurosakis are VG10 and AS so I can’t directly compare the steels.

Back