Matsubara Blue #2 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm: Yay or nay?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While looking for a taller gyuto I was recommended Matsubara, really like the way the Blue#2 Nashiji finish version looks, etc. Just wondering if folks here have experience with one?

Sadly, it seems like it is sold out in both of the places that had it a while back... still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that one before Xmas. Oh well, I suppose I will just wait for more to come available. 🙃

I know that there are other 240mm models from Matsubara available here and there (for example, in White#1 from Cleancut) but that Nashiji finish version really stole my heart... 😍

Had a 225mm Ginsan Nashiji. Been one of my favorites for a good while.

Also had a Bunka Tsuchime Blue #2. Sent back to vendor. Unit was a bit of a mess.

I don't see any problem getting them from good vendors.

I like the Matsubara a lot. It's nice and tall. The ones I've had vary in thickness depending on the particular one you have. They also go from fairly hefty to almost thin as a CCK veggie slicer. The only reason I didnt keep mine longer was that it was too similar to my Watanabe/Toyama dimensions. The grind is different though. They tend to be concave toward the edge. But if you ask me whether I would buy another, I would 100% do it.

Not the same, but I have a white #1 gyuto from him and it is very well made. Probably the thinnest knife I've seen.

I have a blue2 tsuchime 300 sujihiki thats a well made real beauty with nice consistent thin grind. I basically use it only for raw meat and does its job, but I honestly prefer to use my 10 inch K-Sab carbon Canadian NOS day to day in my home cooking.

A blue 2 tsuchime 240 gyuto that I have to say came with a very inconsistent grind. It was kinda thin at the tip, thick as hell midway and basically a laser at the heel. I saw pictures of that beforehand though so I knew to expect and then proceeded to fix it, after admittedly thinking about sending it back anyway. It should never have left their hamono tbh and I would feel better about it if I had not needed to thin it.

A white1 180 gyuto thats really nice, might just be my favorite knife along with my monster Takeda. The size, height and shape is so good for me, right at home when I take it to my hand and it cuts well.

A 150 blue2 nashiji honesuki. Well made great knife, using it sometimes also for cutting cheese as it has a good food release grind for it basically. (Yes I got the idea from the cktg video)..

So 3/4 great knives upon arrival. I'd suggest you ask for pictures beforehand and look for inconsistencies in the edge bevel size, since it seems these can happen. If the bevel clearly looks bigger somewhere, you could pass right there or at least ask for the vendors opinion.

All in all, I love my Matsubaras.

Back