Maumasi Smith & Bard monosteel collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah. Sticker shock. Makes the Tsourkan WH's look like bona fide bargains.

For me, anything 'dyed' is a real turnoff, especially for a knife in this price bracket

Last edited:
And what's with all the bs backstories these days. Carter now Maumasi. Total money grabs.

Like someone said, good for him that he's able to sell them at 1.4k.
Also I love that he's saying how underrated 1075 steel is. :D

Like others have stated good for him to be able to command that price and most likely will sell out quickly.
Now personally I couldn't even try to justify asking that much.

Stock removal ... monosteel $1400.

How is this ...

BDD183CB-66E0-466D-9864-F493C26AEE19.jpeg

Different from this ...

D53E9C14-76BC-4DEE-9F38-795653481CC7.jpeg

Stock removal ... monosteel ... $400

Just saying!

Stock removal ... monosteel $1400.

How is this ...

View attachment 64733

Different from this ...

View attachment 64734

Stock removal ... monosteel ... $400

Just saying!

Or how is it different to Kippington’s work, to mention another Australian maker whose prices are similarly reasonable (read: low)...?

A shout out to Will Newham, in case others don’t recognise the bottom photo above.

Of course, I don’t want to belittle or underestimate the amount of work and skill that Maumasi has put into being able to command that kind of pricing.

However, the sun does just seem to shine more favourably on some than on others, when it comes to the renown some makers earn.

The bottom knife is one of Will Newham’s. I bought it a while back and was more than impressed with the design, fit and finish. A lot of work went into producing it. To be clear, though, I don’t regret any knife maker getting what the market will bear for their products. My only point is that there are makers out there struggling in relative anonymity who produce a quality product for a much more reasonable price. One of my pleasures in collecting knives is finding the makers producing a quality product in relative obscurity. Just a thought.

Has to be the influence of the Joe Rogan podcast right? He was on it, Rogan occasionally uses one while other guests are on. Show has a wide reach, has to be driving up the price with non knife folk.

If this has been discussed to death in other threads, and operating as an underlying assumption here, I apologize.

Back