Maximet, when will we see knives in this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick alen

Reaction score
A series of micrographs Larrin showed a while back seemed to indicate that this alloy have finer carbides than the other ultra-high carbide volume steels. Anything delaying its use in knives?

I would say low demand and super high cost if we are talking kitchen knives. There are some non kitchen knives available though.

It's pretty hard to buy it even for those that want to try it.

Spyderco and other tactical/combat knifemakers are already in production. I would guess that a few of the more progressive kitchen knife makers are experimenting with it.

i have heard its very time consuming to produce/grind blades out of it (and all other similar steels). and thats probably gonna make it very expensive if you're not spyderco with their capabilities.

The fact that I can't find anywhere to actually buy a piece right now probably means that it's not going to take off in the short term.

is this a "knife steel" or some die/punch/industrial saw steel?? that might explain what its not so easy to buy.

i know most uddeholm tool steels are also hard or impossible to come by. for the low production maker.

first they sell them in certain thicknesses and widths. or rounds. and then the standard minimum order is 6m lengths.... as with all steel here. since they sell to people that need 300 kilos or so to make 200 50mm coining tools or whatever.

is this a "knife steel" or some die/punch/industrial saw steel?? that might explain what its not so easy to buy.

i know most uddeholm tool steels are also hard or impossible to come by. for the low production maker.

first they sell them in certain thicknesses and widths. or rounds. and then the standard minimum order is 6m lengths.... as with all steel here. since they sell to people that need 300 kilos or so to make 200 50mm coining tools or whatever.
It's a high speed steel. It is produced by Carpenter Steel which has been known to have knife steel supply issues.

OK thanks all, at least I wasn't mistaken about its place as an interesting knife steel.

Back