• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Mazaki 210 Nashiji (KU) wa-gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Title says it all, looking for a 210 Mazaki Nashiji wa-gyuto with octagonal handle, preferably with horn ferrule. But the handle ain’t a deal breaker if it’s not as described...

Dimensions should be around 210/50/200+ grams.

Still searching. Ideally a thicker workhorse blade with this darker handle that some vendors offered („zelkova“), octagonal, horn ferrule. But I’d be open for other handles too...

Still searching. Ideally a thicker workhorse blade with this darker handle that some vendors offered („zelkova“), octagonal, horn ferrule. But I’d be open for other handles too...

Looks like yoshihiro still has some 210mm with octagonal ho handles left - or are you not looking for buying it brand new?

Post the Youshihiro once you get it. I am curious how much, if any, differences from the Knife Wear version. But then, I got two Nashiji from Knife Wear & there are still big differences on grind from each other. It seems that Mazaki just can’t stop experimenting, lol.

Post the Youshihiro once you get it. I am curious how much, if any, differences from the Knife Wear version. But then, I got two Nashiji from Knife Wear & there are still big differences on grind from each other. It seems that Mazaki just can’t stop experimenting, lol.

The yoshihiro version is exactly the same as knifewear.
Different kanji

Either this or he simply can’t achieve any repeatability...

Why not just take a torch to the handle if you want it darker.
My Mazaki:
TV5aucl.jpg

Thread can be closed, I pulled the trigger at Yoshihiro.

Oh, and as far as repeatability is concerned. I know that the very same knives differ significantly not only from batch to batch but also among batches. While that isn’t necessarily a bad thing (there are fans for pretty much every style), it makes life complicated because maybe you’ll love your Mazaki, maybe you won’t...

Last edited:
Thread can be closed, I pulled the trigger at Yoshihiro.

Oh, and as far as repeatability is concerned. I know that the very same knives differ significantly not only from batch to batch but also among batches. While that isn’t necessarily a bad thing (there are fans for pretty much every style), it makes life complicated because maybe you’ll love your Mazaki, maybe you won’t...
Yeah [emoji848] I hear you bro

Yeah, mine came pretty fast too, but the problem is the blade has a lot of scratches. Does yours have?

Yeah, mine came pretty fast too, but the problem is the blade has a lot of scratches. Does yours have?
The scratchy blade road is kinda Mazaki's thing. He is said to finish all his knives on a natural stone. I think this helps detect grind issues (as opposed to a sand blast finish that will hide grind issues). In sum, the scratches are meant to be a feature rather than a bug.

Got it! But what would be the most economical way to polish it to make it kinda hazy?

Got it! But what would be the most economical way to polish it to make it kinda hazy?
Put it to a Gesshin 1000 (or King 800) for a few minutes. Or sand it to at least 600, then use finger stones. (Take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm not a great polisher. I think there are tons of posts on kasumi finishes).

Im also on the fence on getting the yoshihiro mazaki 240 vs the nihei SLD from CKC... care to share your ownership experience with your mazaki daddy yo yo?

As i have said many times already I really like my Mazakis. It seems to be a gamble which blade shape one will get (different between batches but apparently also within the same batches) and the knives are reactive (KU less than Kasumi ofc). But they are excellent value for the money if the blade shape is to your liking.

I can only highly recommend Yoshihiro Cutlery, smooth transaction, super-quick and -friendly, fantastic customer service!

Pics will follow soon!
I bought a Mazaki Santoku from them, Jensen was super helpful!
The knife is incredible btw, more like a bunka.

Im also on the fence on getting the yoshihiro mazaki 240 vs the nihei SLD from CKC... care to share your ownership experience with your mazaki daddy yo yo?

I own both, though the Mazaki in a 210. I like the Mazakis handle more, but if you have a larger hand, I'd go Nihei. Nihei sometimes feels almost between a slicer and a gyuto with less height. It can do more finesse and is lighter. I like it more for protein. The Mazaki has a lot of blade heavy power and is good for powering through cabbage. Its also pretty reactive, whereas the Nihei is full stainless.

I own both, though the Mazaki in a 210. I like the Mazakis handle more, but if you have a larger hand, I'd go Nihei. Nihei sometimes feels almost between a slicer and a gyuto with less height. It can do more finesse and is lighter. I like it more for protein. The Mazaki has a lot of blade heavy power and is good for powering through cabbage. Its also pretty reactive, whereas the Nihei is full stainless.
Thank you... I just placed an order for the nihei sld... Would hope to use it as my all around

Guys, this is/was a WTB thread. I have bought such a knife in January 2020, thread can be closed. Please discuss those knives elsewhere, not in this thread.

Back