Mazaki knives, maxims newest line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grabbed a 210mm gyuto after seeing the sale email. Hope it was in stock and not an error.

I waffled on that one and grabbed a 180 petty just before the sale.. oh well. But when I read read this post I went directly to buy the Toyama 210 😊 cause I think you grabbed before me! Good job and thanks for the heads a2c!
The 180 petty is amazing! Put it on a Takashima and it just flows though stuff, really digging it so far.
I asked earlier in this post but got no answers as to the real world measurements. It’s listed as 180/31mm length/heelhieght. Mine is 37mm high, is this what you all have? It also measures 187 in length and I kinda expected that 😁 It’s the height discrepancy that I’m wondering about.

Mine is around the same length as yours, but 31mm tall. Weird indeed

Btw I just gave it a quick polish on a hard ohira suita and I understood what Maksim says on his website about the Mazaki line: “amazing grind and easy to maintain”, something like that. It was super easy to give it an even polish, it actually behaves on the stone like a wide bevel knife with the shinogi “blended in”. And this was on a hard stone. My feeling is that Maksim probably did some work on the stones to give these knives a flat and even bevel

I waffled on that one and grabbed a 180 petty just before the sale.. oh well. But when I read read this post I went directly to buy the Toyama 210 😊 cause I think you grabbed before me! Good job and thanks for the heads a2c!
The 180 petty is amazing! Put it on a Takashima and it just flows though stuff, really digging it so far.
I asked earlier in this post but got no answers as to the real world measurements. It’s listed as 180/31mm length/heelhieght. Mine is 37mm high, is this what you all have? It also measures 187 in length and I kinda expected that 😁 It’s the height discrepancy that I’m wondering about.

Mine is around the same length as yours, but 31mm tall. Weird indeed

Btw I just gave it a quick polish on a hard ohira suita and I understood what Maksim says on his website about the Mazaki line: “amazing grind and easy to maintain”, something like that. It was super easy to give it an even polish, it actually behaves on the stone like a wide bevel knife with the shinogi “blended in”. And this was on a hard stone. My feeling is that Maksim probably did some work on the stones to give these knives a flat and even bevel

He’s a young maker. His work is still evolving. He’s learning under kato. I don’t see the importance of who does the finishing work. Just judge based on the final product.

So are these now the poor mans katos? I see the similarity in the profile?

I could be wrong but I don’t see any semblance to kato in grind. Can’t really say if profile is close to kato, the knives blade shape appear closer to Toyama but with lower tip and white steel.

My impression (at least with my 180 gyuto and 180 petty, both with the “new grind”) is that Mazaki knives are less convex than Toyamas. They seem to have a flatter bevel and the bit of polishing I did confirms that. Also, they are stickier than my Toyamas

I also don’t see much resemblance to Kato other than a thick spine and a flat profile.

@niwaki - my bad, just measured my 180 petty and it’s actually close to 37mm

I got buyer's remorse after the purchase so I asked Maksim to cancel the order. I've been buying WAY too much in the last month and this one just didn't add too much value to my collection. I'll keep watching the thread to see how they rate. Maybe I'll try again sometime next year. Looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions.

My impression (at least with my 180 gyuto and 180 petty, both with the “new grind”) is that Mazaki knives are less convex than Toyamas. They seem to have a flatter bevel and the bit of polishing I did confirms that. Also, they are stickier than my Toyamas

I also don’t see much resemblance to Kato other than a thick spine and a flat profile.

Cool. Sounds good. The 270mm suji was on sale for $252, super bummed that I slept on it.

Yeah that sounded like a big difference.. looks like a typo in the description.
I think you’re right about the reworking and as a nod to labor, it really doesn’t matter cause it’s been turned into something good. Mine still has a few coarse scratch marks coming up from the edge to where a shinogi would have lived then a finish stone put a polish/edge on but I don’t sense a blade road on mine. I’ve already started to sand paper the whole blade to get rid of all the marks and set it up for fingerstone finish. Kanji gets smoothed out but I don’t cares 'bout that 😉
I prepped for a couple gallons of chicken noodle soup and about the same of bolognese with this bugger and really enjoyed it. It wouldn’t slice cherry tomatoes easily after all that but a quick swipe on the stone and it’s back, pretty much the storyline of white paper. Thanks for getting back Choppin 🙏

I got buyer's remorse after the purchase so I asked Maksim to cancel the order. I've been buying WAY too much in the last month and this one just didn't add too much value to my collection. I'll keep watching the thread to see how they rate. Maybe I'll try again sometime next year. Looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions.
Yup totally relate to that myself but had no self restraint after being informed of said sale 🙄
It’ll be interesting to see Mazaki's knives play out in the future for sure!

Just given in to temptation and ordered one of the new 270mm gyuto's with seemingly laser like grinds. I'll give an update next week.

Almost pulled the trigger on that, the grind is so much higher than the 240. Pls post pics :)

The 270mm beast has arrived. Testing will start later.

aproc7X.jpg

Very cool looking knife. Could you post some more pictures? It looks like a wide bevel, but could be just the contrast.

The blade roads on the Mazakis all seem to be very, very roughly finished as if someone had to hurry up finishing them all. Do they just look that way in images or do they actually ship like that?

Very cool looking knife. Could you post some more pictures? It looks like a wide bevel, but could be just the contrast.

The latest mazaki's come with a blended convex grind rather than the pervious Heiji like grind with pronounced shoulders.

The blade roads on the Mazakis all seem to be very, very roughly finished as if someone had to hurry up finishing them all. Do they just look that way in images or do they actually ship like that?

While their finish isn't in Shigefusa or custom territory, I wouldn't class them as roughly finished. I would say their average for this price point.

Thanks. The reason I ask is because the site has the 270mm listed at 253grams and the 240mm at 255 grams!

I think that maybe down to the fact that the 270mm is ground much thinner than the 240mm.

About Mazaki's grind... I have both the 180 gyuto and 180 petty. On both knives, the grind looks slightly convex at first. When polishing them, however, I have noticed that the bevels are actually quite flat, like a wide bevel knife that had its shoulders smoothed or "blended in" with the blade face.

Performance confirms that - a bit stickier than my Kato or Toyama, although still a great performer.

Now I need that 150 yanagi...

why is there such a huge disparity of the grind between 240 and 270 gyutos? the 240 choil shot looks like a wedgie monster. is there any distal taper at all? i'm thinking with being a new maker, if he refines his grind this could be the alternative to the yoshikane damascus i've been in search of.

Back