Mazaki knives, maxims newest line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really wanna pull the trigger on one of these knives! Need a nice thick workhorse and was originally looking at the toyama but these are so affordable and I'm hearing good things!

I have (won! :) ) the 165 'petty' (which is actually rather a boning knife than a petty) which I have become to like a lot. I will write a short review on it in a week or two.

Maxim shared pics of the newest mazaki gyutos with new profile on Facebook. There’s even a pic comparing the old profile with the new one.

I got a 240 yani. It's my first single bevel, so I'm not really qualified to give a proper review. One thing I can say, is that the thing is absolutely dull. Nowhere near usable. That doesn't really deter me, since trying my hand at sharpening/polishing single bevels was one of the primary motivations for getting the knife.

So, up until now, that's really the only thing I can say: it ships very dull, so you have to be up for sharpening it. Apart from that, it looks great, the shinogi is crisp etc.

Now for the problem: I can't get it sharp. I haven't been working on it a lot, so I'm not despondent. I hope some of you could give me some pointers as to what's going wrong. I figured I'd try for a flat approach rather than hamaguriba, which seems more complex and better left for later. I initially put it on a suita, just in case the edge was simply unrefined or it was just the ura needing work. No luck. Then I tried a synth red aoto since I figured the characteristic scratch pattern could help me divine what was happening. It doesn't seem to have major low spots (I think the tip is just me not being good enough), so I'm a little puzzled as to why it remains so dull. My only guess so far it that it has shipped with a fairly substantial micro bevel or hamaburiba-like grind and I'm just not hitting the edge yet. It just doesn't look that way, but the different finish of the actual core steel might be throwing me for a loop there. Any ideas? Any recommendations for what you usually do with a yanagiba during your initial sharpening? I'm considering doing hamaguriba, so I'm at least certain of hitting the edge when I set the first (or rather first part) of the bevel.

nEjXbmf.jpg

I got a 240 yani. It's my first single bevel, so I'm not really qualified to give a proper review. One thing I can say, is that the thing is absolutely dull. Nowhere near usable. That doesn't really deter me, since trying my hand at sharpening/polishing single bevels was one of the primary motivations for getting the knife.

So, up until now, that's really the only thing I can say: it ships very dull, so you have to be up for sharpening it. Apart from that, it looks great, the shinogi is crisp etc.

Now for the problem: I can't get it sharp. I haven't been working on it a lot, so I'm not despondent. I hope some of you could give me some pointers as to what's going wrong. I figured I'd try for a flat approach rather than hamaguriba, which seems more complex and better left for later. I initially put it on a suita, just in case the edge was simply unrefined or it was just the ura needing work. No luck. Then I tried a synth red aoto since I figured the characteristic scratch pattern could help me divine what was happening. It doesn't seem to have major low spots (I think the tip is just me not being good enough), so I'm a little puzzled as to why it remains so dull. My only guess so far it that it has shipped with a fairly substantial micro bevel or hamaburiba-like grind and I'm just not hitting the edge yet. It just doesn't look that way, but the different finish of the actual core steel might be throwing me for a loop there. Any ideas? Any recommendations for what you usually do with a yanagiba during your initial sharpening? I'm considering doing hamaguriba, so I'm at least certain of hitting the edge when I set the first (or rather first part) of the bevel.

Put some sharpie on the bevel(s) and see what's going on!

Hah. It's been so long since I used that trick that it must have completely slipped from my arsenal. Thanks.

Yup, didn't need that much work. I just needed assurance before I slapped it on a coarse stone :)

As the pic below indicates, the edge is literally the lowest point, so there might still be some truth to the micro bevel-ish theory - and it certainly makes sense that I could get it sharp. This took me around 20 minutes on a 300, and I'm taking a little break and thinking about trying hamaguriba, since it seems to be in the ideal spot for it. I can just grind the outer bevel and actually hit the edge and then blend them. I just have to come to terms with the fact that I'm changing the plan (and perhaps get a little reassurance from here) ;)

lP0zzTU.jpg

And a little update, it really seems to have a smaller, higher-degree angle at the edge. Apart from that, the blade road is a joy to flatten. Why this was added, I have no idea. Presumably, to give it a quick working edge - but that doesn't explain why it was so extremely dull ootb.

So, for someone hesitant about single bevel sharpening or looking for a smooth ride ootb, stay away. Otherwise ... well, I'll report back once I actually put an edge on it.

Looks like a pretty good grind, makes me interested in trying one.

The old profile with the old price is still available if that’s what you would prefer.
Yep. Not sure how long for, it would seem odd to me if the the maker goes forward making different profile gyutos.

Anyway, hurry up and buy one and comment on the new profile :)

New Mazaki looks really tempting. Nice looking profile and grind based on the website pics. Anybody had a chance to try one?

Back