mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say, I'm really pleased with the edge retention on the Mazaki. I planned and prepped a dinner party for the weekend so I could test out the edge. At the start of the week I put a 6000 Arashiyama edge on it and it is ridiculously easy to sharpen. So this week its been through the whole gamut of food from tomatoes for salsa, cabbage for coleslaw, potatoes, crusty breads, barbecued ribs, chicken wings, crusty steaks. The only care that has gone into this knife is stropping on newspaper or cork. At the end of this week, its probably about 95% similar to a fresh edge. Really happy with it now.

Only thing not going for this knife now is that ugly brown patina on the kasumi. The rest of my edge is blue as can be though hahaha

jville - just sold it yesterday.
my current loves are a duet. 240mm marko 52100 as the finesse knife, and 250mm mario w2 as the workhorse. all i'm missing now is a workpony (middle), waiting on kippington to start pumping those out.
bulk prep knife is 240 masashi sld (has the best ground tip of all my knives), which basically replaced 270 takeda i got rid of. apparently i can't live without a tall thin knife in the kit, lol.

jville - just sold it yesterday.
my current loves are a duet. 240mm marko 52100 as the finesse knife, and 250mm mario w2 as the workhorse. all i'm missing now is a workpony (middle), waiting on kippington to start pumping those out.
bulk prep knife is 240 masashi sld (has the best ground tip of all my knives), which basically replaced 270 takeda i got rid of. apparently i can't live without a tall thin knife in the kit, lol.

Yeah kind of makes sense going to that masashi from the takeda. I've been curious about them. They always looked interesting. I'm curious how the food release is on those, aren't they mirror polished? I've been using that kippington hook grind knive. Quite the interesting tool. When it comes to the tool aspect it's spot on in so many ways, with often magical food release. Still Loving my mazaki although admittedly it's not getting much action lately. The food release is what's going to keep it around for me. I don't think the thinner ones like the one from cktg that I used move me in the same way. Those style I will pass on, even though they r still high quality knives, especially for the price.

I ended up getting a mazaki kiritsuke from aframes, I didn't like it at first. The handle was massive, the kanji was raised and sharp almost like a rasp, the spine would hit the stone when thinking the bevel, and it wedged something feirce in anything taller than 1". I hand sanded with a stiff drywall sanding block wrapped in paper all the way to 8k, replaced the handle, and now it's my most used knife. I've used both the clean-cut and cktg knives and the clean-cut is by far the nicest fit and finish, the kiritsuke though is well worth the $200ish if you're willing to put in an hour or 2 of work.

Has anyone here tried the nakiris? A few different sizes in kasumi and kurouchi. Just looking for feedback.

So what do you guys think of the KU finish on mazakis? I see some gyutos in stock and I’m wondering if it’s pretty thick or if it’s flakes off quick like moritaka, munetoshi, tojiro wh2 (cheapo).

No problem with the Ku on my Mazaki, but I did sand it off and removed the Kasumi too. Too much of a hassle to maintain the kasumi so I took it off along with the ku.

I picked up the nashiji on the KW sale and it’s super sturdy. Only one I don’t have yet is the ku.

I have a feeling that there’s no real intentional difference between all the lines sold under different brands other than that they’re handmade (of course except for the profile change a while back). Of the four that I have (from all the various vendors), they have variances but none so dramatic that I’d say the sellers requested different specs. More likely the variances are live changes as he evolves.... my JNS is a complete beast, but my buddy Otto got a cow of a knife, and they’re essentially from the same batch. Thus far my favorite is probably the old profile CC for whole package reasons.

Nevertheless I can’t recall that I’ve ever picked up 4 gyutos from the same maker with such ‘luck’.... oh wait, except maybe Shigs [emoji12]

I picked up the nashiji on the KW sale and it’s super sturdy. Only one I don’t have yet is the ku.

I have a feeling that there’s no real intentional difference between all the lines sold under different brands other than that they’re handmade (of course except for the profile change a while back). Of the four that I have (from all the various vendors), they have variances but none so dramatic that I’d say the sellers requested different specs. More likely the variances are live changes as he evolves.... my JNS is a complete beast, but my buddy Otto got a cow of a knife, and they’re essentially from the same batch. Thus far my favorite is probably the old profile CC for whole package reasons.

Nevertheless I can’t recall that I’ve ever picked up 4 gyutos from the same maker with such ‘luck’.... oh wait, except maybe Shigs [emoji12]

I've got the CC (recent) and JNS (old profile new grind)—both behave very similarly in characteristics. Visually, it looks like the Razorsharp version does have a taller machi—it's also a W2 clad in SS. Waiting with bated breath on what Mazakis will will be in five year's time.
U3CDrKs.jpg

My KU nakiri so far stayed intact, although it came with splotches of missig/ground off coating [emoji28]. The Munes have coating feels like it was applied by crayons, it rubs off on knife racks and when you clean it with a towel. However, they look kinda cool with the textured finish and KU rubbed off.

Are all the Mazaki grind the same ? Between the finishes and steel types?

I've got the CC (recent) and JNS (old profile new grind)—both behave very similarly in characteristics. Visually, it looks like the Razorsharp version does have a taller machi—it's also a W2 clad in SS. Waiting with bated breath on what Mazakis will will be in five year's time.
U3CDrKs.jpg

Couldn’t agree more. I think he’s experimenting a bit between batches, but cutting/grind-wise he’s been on target. It’ll be awesome to see him settle into a completely unique voice all his own. I’m already hooked.

Are all the Mazaki grind the same ? Between the finishes and steel types?

From the ones I have, they all feel about the same in performance other than all being uniquely handmade and having their own personalities. Dude is evolving with every batch though, a very cool thing to be witness to.

So what do you guys think of the KU finish on mazakis? I see some gyutos in stock and I’m wondering if it’s pretty thick or if it’s flakes off quick like moritaka, munetoshi, tojiro wh2 (cheapo).

@labor of love I have a 240 nashiji (CC "Mantoku" profile) if you want to borrow it. Send me a PM because life is crazy and I don't check the threads often.

Thanks BK, I really just want a ginsanko version. If I can’t find one eventually I’ll try and find a KU maybe. Im really not a soft iron kind of guy.

Glad I got Kasumi from K&S when I had the chance. If a stainless Ginsan model comes out from James, I will grab one the instant they appear.

Has anyone that has tried the gyuto or nakiri compared it to Watanabe's equivalents?

Yep, both do a great job. Your not gonna find Any huge difference.

Thanks. I have a couple of Watanabe Pros, a nakiri and a suji. Shinichi is my go to for middleweight blue #2 knives. I wanted to try some other steels though.

Is anybody aware of/have the stainless clad? Was it only razorsharp? If so was it indeed stainless clad with white core?

Latest posts

Back