mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the keyaki handle from CKC feel? I believe my 210mm from KW has a cherry handle - or KW lists it as cherry anyway. The grain looks quite similar, albeit lighter, to my keyaki handle from Watanabe, but the feel is different. The Wat handle feels more.. open-pore, soft and looks matte (kind of like ho wood), whereas the Mazaki handle is harder and the wood feels sealed. I'm wondering if it's really cherry after all, or just keyaki finished differently.

Anyone has any idea? How does your CKC keyaki handle feel?

jSPbHji.jpg

The ckc handle wood looks and feels it has been polished and no coting applied but I cant be 100% sure

Looking at the photos on the last page it looks like the tips aren't as stupid thin anymore as they used to be. Is it just the perspective or has this changed? He does have a tendency to change, after all...

It didn’t take long for my knife to arrive from Knife wear, it’s still the older good design, not the new JNS pregnant big belly new design & the handle is simple but polished smooth. The Nashiji is actually KU Nashiji, rustic yet attractive looking.

It met my expectations of a “poor men’s work horse”. I got a beefy 210 that came in at 221mm heel to tip, strong dismal taper with beef out of the handle but very thin tip: 6mm/5mm/2.7mm/0.7mm. 50mm tall, Convex grind reminds me of Anryu but taller & heavier, wight in at 7.35 Oz/208 g. The fit & finish isn’t top notch but it was not expected, it feels hefty in the hand, with balance an inch ahead of handle right under pinch grip point, the heft is neutrally balanced & it demolished carrots with authority upon arrival.

50% chance mine will be catch and release. But it’s an old stock one that I haven’t tried yet, not like the newer ones so I wanted to check it out before they become hard to find.

.... And a spine with no taper.

Love the look of the knive and handle though

The distal taper shot does look like it doesn't have same handle.

Or attleast the handle end looks very weird in that shot. I'll see when I get it.

Not uncommon with KU knives. Some of my favorite knives have had very little distal taper on the spine.

True, same here, but this looks like it has kindof a thick tip. But thats's all speculation (on my part) without havin used it :)

Last edited:
Not uncommon with KU knives. Some of my favorite knives have had very little distal taper on the spine.
Kato and Shig have distinct distal tapers on their Ku versions. From that pic the spine doesn't appear straight and the tip also looks odd. I doubt its the same knife.

Kato and Shig have distinct distal tapers on their Ku versions. From that pic the spine doesn't appear straight and the tip also looks odd. I doubt its the same knife.
It’s likely not a pic of the actual knife sold, notice the handle in the spine distal taper shot.
Of course it’s possible to have distal taper and KU, no one suggested otherwise.

Looked at it again, that spine Pic is indeed from one of the Mr itou knives from the bf sale.

Latest posts

Back