mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to a retailer that already had the dammy in stock and it was $1235 for a 210 and $1510 for a 240. o_O

Not for me - good luck for Mazaki but, I think he's getting bad advise in a tight coronavirus plagued market where so many people are out of work. Supply and Demand I guess.

Gist of KS email - big Japanese dealer convinced Mazaki that James was pricing Damascus way too low. End result J dealer now gets all the Damascus versions.

This. I don't do drama. And I don't do Mazaki. So not much interest here.

He did allude to some Yoshi in SKD coming. That piques my interest.

A retailer in Hong Kong is selling 240 dammy blue 2 for ~$1500 and blue 1 for ~$1950. Crazy.

I wonder how much James sold his blue 2 dammy for.
Yeah that’s a hard no from me. I don’t know enough of the politics or economics that go into this stuff and nor do I care. 2k for a dammy clad is praying on some weak soul no matter how you slice it (haha see what I did there?)

Well I’d heard it was gonna be high- but this is another fkn level. @friz that’s confirmed??
I can't say it is confirmed, that is what this retailer told me.
Also from my understanding, does this retailer have the exclusive to sell the damascus? If so that is going to be the price, but I am not sure whether there will be more retailers carrying the damascus line.

Not for me - good luck for Mazaki but, I think he's getting bad advise in a tight coronavirus plagued market where so many people are out of work. Supply and Demand I guess.
This can't be further from the truth. I don't understand why so many people assume US and EU to represent "the world".

As far as the coronavirus is concerned, Japan has it under control whilst the biggest market for luxury goods, China is on the mend now, after being in lockdown for so long, they are breaking out and ready to spend again and a 2k Maz means nothing really.

As for "the world", rich folk will still be rich folk. Spending for them is still a non-issue. Its only middle class and lower folk who feel the pinch right now.

As for Mazaki, I do kind of understand his position, no one is going to buy Dammy knife for work with the current situation, you can buy his normal knives and they will work equally well. If he is going to be stuck with Dammy stock in his workshop, the wise choice would be to offload them for a bit more cash to a retailer who can sell it for him. He needs to feed himself now too.

Last edited:
This can't be further from the truth. I don't understand why so many people assume US and EU to represent "the world".

As far as the coronavirus is concerned, Japan has it under control whilst the biggest market for luxury goods, China is on the mend now, after being in lockdown for so long, they are breaking out and ready to spend again and a 2k Maz means nothing really.

As for "the world", rich folk will still be rich folk. Spending for them is still a non-issue. Its only middle class and lower folk who feel the pinch right now.

As for Mazaki, I do kind of understand his position, no one is going to buy Dammy knife for work with the current, you can buy his normal knives and they will work equally well. If he is going to be stuck with Dammy stock in his workshop, the wise choice would be to offload them for a bit more cash to a retailer who can sell it for him. He needs to feed himself now too.
Correct. Nothing to do with the current situation. Rather whether or not it’s actually worth it regardless of an economy crippling crisis. As for a $1500 dammy, no thanks. I’m sure for many people $1500 is insignificant but as for right now that shits outrageous for that knife.

Correct. Nothing to do with the current situation. Rather whether or not it’s actually worth it regardless of an economy crippling crisis. As for a $1500 dammy, no thanks. I’m sure for many people $1500 is insignificant but as for right now that shits outrageous for that knife.
Definitely agreed, Mazaki imo hasn't reached the level where you could justify $1500 for a dammy. Same with Jiro.

That’s crazy man.. I’m wondering if this wholesale jerk had a problem with the standard blue 2 gyuto prices as well. I was looking forward to maz possibly producing more than just gyutos in blue 2 for the future. If the prices get jacked up for the standard blue 2 as well though i’ll have to pass. The blue 2 gyuto I got from james is awesome. The fit and finish was very surprising. Not sure if I would go for anymore if the prices got jacked like the dammy is being jacked. People these days..

That’s crazy man.. I’m wondering if this wholesale jerk had a problem with the standard blue 2 gyuto prices as well. I was looking forward to maz possibly producing more than just gyutos in blue 2 for the future. If the prices get jacked up for the standard blue 2 as well though i’ll have to pass. The blue 2 gyuto I got from james is awesome. The fit and finish was very surprising. Not sure if I would go for anymore if the prices got jacked like the dammy is being jacked. People these days..
Man I hear ya. I was pumped to try a b2 as well. Who knows- maybe that will materialize later in a standard clad rendition that’s closer to the whites. I mean if he’s wrapping it in dammy, what’s the harm in wrapping it in iron clad for us plebs

The $1500 Mazaki Dami, lol, all it did was to help me justify Toyama dami as “value”. I’ll take Toyama dami over Mazaki dami any day.
I know.. especially with the 270 being on sale for 700 the other day haha

Didn’t KNS have non dammy Mazaki gyutos recently? Maybe $550ish?
This is what I want to know more about. The damascus, at $1500, prices itself out of the ‘tool’ range to me so I’m not very interested. Though I am disappointed to hear about the business ****ery that James suffered.

Anyways, I recall the same on regular B2 gyutos... maybe they were labeled hon kasumi?

Yeah they did. I was just saying if the prices end up sky rocketing on those too because of this same guy that would suck. Obviously he had a problem with the prices that james sold the blue dammy for. I just hope that scumbag didn’t say anything about any of the blue 2 kasumi gyutos as well because I was hoping maz would make more than just gyutos in blue also.

Interesting. If he's able to find a market at these prices, it's possible his now 'entry-level' knives might also increase in price. Now I don't feel so guilty about all those Mazakis I got!

Right. The Kasumi white 2 gyuto I got from KnS last month doesn’t look like anything from Mazaki before. It almost leads me to believe it was finished by someone else.

Back