mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old batch maz 240 Gyuto specs

Heel height 54.5 mm
Heel to tip - 245

Weight - 244 gm

So very similar in profile to the new batch - slightly less heel height in the new knives - that could vary from knife to knife I presume

Is it worth asking Santa for a Mazaki Damascus?

I wonder given it’s price tag

given the F&F on my Kurouchi one I wouldnt spend up for a suminagashi one. aesthetics are not the dude's strongpoint IMO

I have the KU in the previous batch from CKC - am happy with it - these are similar, but appear to be slightly slimmer

Now the latest batch of Mazaki has a taller yoshikane profile.
3A5FB27C-6E9D-43CC-84F9-2BCFBAD12198.png

Im not a fan of those handles at all. Without a doubt, I'd prefer K&S Mazakis.

That profile looks better with the 180 gyuto than 210 or 240

He seems like he's dialed it in to me and becoming pretty consistent. For awhile it did seem to change somewhat drastically from batch to batch. But it seems like he has found his style to me. Both mine are very consistent although that is a weak argument because they are both blue from similar time period, but when I look at pics of new stuff it seems to be staying much more consistent.

this is why I am scared to get a Mazaki, I would like to know what the profile would be for certain before buying, and no retailers have replied to my emails asking for pictures of their ones in stock :rolleyes: guess they are too busy with Christmas orders.
oh well looks like I just have to trust their photos on their sites are up to date

this is why I am scared to get a Mazaki, I would like to know what the profile would be for certain before buying, and no retailers have replied to my emails asking for pictures of their ones in stock :rolleyes: guess they are too busy with Christmas orders.
oh well looks like I just have to trust their photos on their sites are up to date

Kinda the same reason why I am still on the fence. Would not want to receive something I was not expecting..

I know choil shots can't really be trusted all that much, but does anyone else here see a clear difference comapared to the previous version(s)? The newest ones look like they have more of a flat bevel with more pronounced shoulders.

Mazaki can give you one of the greatest pleasures in collecting. There are so many variations over time, it is a paradise for the Mazaki purist who tries to try to fill up his collection with all the different flavors of Mazaki.

go follow the retailers on instagram and watch when they post pictures of their new ones.

Im serious though the one I got and other folks' new ones look exactly like KNS and CKC's new photos so Im not sure what the issue here is.

Yeah, seems weird to make fun of a guy for fulfilling different orders to different specifications

Do people mean when talking about profiles the grind/cross sectional geometry? I am thinking when talking about profile, it means edge and spine curvatury, spine/tang/handle angle, pointy or taller tip, how much belly etc..

New maz look nice at carbon. Not loving those handles at all but the blades look great. A little thick but nothing that can’t be adjusted. I swear.. one of these days i’m just going to go back to using maz, mune, hinoura, wakui, and call it a day. At least when it comes to pro kitchens. Some of these “budget friendly” options perform just as good if not better than some of the knives in the $500 and more range. Really want to pick a maz 270 up since I have two 240s already but It will have to be another time.

I got a 270 Kasumi from KnS -- earlier this year or last, can't remember offhand -- and it was indeed a bit thick and wedged a lot. The profile is great, and I'm finally getting the grind where I want it. It has taken quite a lot of time on a 220 to get there, though. Having put the work in, it feels great now.

I would buy now. His knives aren't getting any cheaper. And imo he is not putting out duds. Like I said before, it seems his stuff lately seems pretty consistent but I guess others may disagree.
Do people mean when talking about profiles the grind/cross sectional geometry? I am thinking when talking about profile, it means edge and spine curvatury, spine/tang/handle angle, pointy or taller tip, how much belly etc..
What you said, is what it should be referring to.

I was referring to the KS style tip with a gradual curve in the front and a nice flat spot. I would distinguish that from the grind, which was surprisingly thick behind the edge.

ETA - I have an earlier 240 from JNS that looks like it was finished on an Atoma 140, but it was really well finished. It's probably the best cutting knife I have. The KnS version looked bead blasted and didn't get quite the attention on stones (or plates) the JNS version did. It was prettier but took a lot of work get it to perform.

Last edited:
trust me I completely understand that there will be some variation, just wished I could get photos of the exact knife I would buy if there are going to be variances between them in the same batch.

looks like you lot have persuaded me though, I must be thinking it’s a greater risk than it truely is, and you are right, his stuff is only going up in price (obviously rightly so)

My maz (one of the new ones, with the controversial handle above) needed thinning. It needed thinning big time. It was super thick at the shoulders/shinogi, and they needed rounding and bringing them towards the spine. It would not cut a potato before. It was bad. So here are some before and after pics if anyone is interested. The KU was scarified for performance, there was no way of keeping much of it.

I oiled the handle quite a bit half way through, and I'm not sure how much weight that adds so I'm not completely sure on the weight loss but it's somewhere between 6g and 10g I think. I used a combination of JNS300/shapton glass 500/atoma 140 (for when I was getting tired) for thinning, and finished on a king 800.
mazright.jpg
maz.png

mazleft.jpg

Thats a lot of work to do on a custom made knife. I have two earlier Mazaki's from JNS and the 180 Gyuto does not impress me at all. As I look at his newer offerings each knife seems like it was made randomly or he is into the ever changing trial period of his career?

My maz (one of the new ones, with the controversial handle above) needed thinning. It needed thinning big time. It was super thick at the shoulders/shinogi, and they needed rounding and bringing them towards the spine. It would not cut a potato before. It was bad. So here are some before and after pics if anyone is interested. The KU was scarified for performance, there was no way of keeping much of it.

I oiled the handle quite a bit half way through, and I'm not sure how much weight that adds so I'm not completely sure on the weight loss but it's somewhere between 6g and 10g I think. I used a combination of JNS300/shapton glass 500/atoma 140 (for when I was getting tired) for thinning, and finished on a king 800.
View attachment 105016View attachment 105015
View attachment 105017

Do you have measurements of your thickness behind the edge (at 5mm, 10mm and 20mm)?

Just for reference, my Mazaki KU from knifewear purchased earlier this year had a very significant convex behind the edge with minimal if any flat grind below the shinogi line.

Measurements at midblade:
1.0mm @ 5mm
1.5mm @ 10mm
2.2mm @ 20mm

Last edited:
Do you have measurements of your thickness behind the edge (at 5mm, 10mm and 20mm)?

I can try take some measurements tomorrow, but regarding the shoulders, see. the below pic, and note that I mean to write mm not m (I mean it was thick but not that thick). Where it starts to get to 2mm at the top of the primary bevel half way down the knife, it was actually the same thickness as the spine and I'm pretty sure in some cases, thicker than the spine.

It was plenty thin right behind the edge.

mazthickness.jpg

Back