mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree. The first batch from JNS looked hideous but reports were they were good cutters. For the price it seems like a decent buy. The level of finish and attention seems to be increasing as time goes by. I also am curious to see Mazaki's work in a few years time (provided the prices are not Kato-esque by then)

I totally agree. The first batch from JNS looked hideous but reports were they were good cutters. For the price it seems like a decent buy. The level of finish and attention seems to be increasing as time goes by. I also am curious to see Mazaki's work in a few years time (provided the prices are not Kato-esque by then)

They will be Kato-esque in price if he stopped production; positive reviews continue; and current owners begin flipping their knives at speculative prices on KKF b/s/t and eBay.

With regard to your comment on fit & finish—I feel the valuation would certainly be higher if f&f were at a higher level.

I got mine mainly because of positive reviews (this thread sealed the deal); good price; love carbon; needed a birthday present to myself; and dig taller knives with thick spines at the handle (as with my Kato and Kochi). Though I may have balked if it were $300+, because of my current finances. All in all, this is a keeper for me.

So did the stainless ones on JNS already sell out or has Maksim not put them up yet?

If there's a ginsan gyuto coming I'm game!

Oh snap. Ginsanko??!! Suddenly I care again.

What do you like about Ginsanko? I ask because all of my gyutos are carbon, except for three—my Gengetsu semi-stainless, Kagero, and UX10.

I don't know that much about stainless, and don't have the patience to search through older KKF threads discussing steel characteristics.

Big fan of ginsanko! Two of my favorite knives are ginsanko, not sure if its the steel or just the knives. But imsure i like ginsanko. I was actually leaning towards the white though, even after i heard about the coming ginsanko option. But the more i think about the less clear that becomes, especially if they r very reactive. Im curious if the grinds will be the same, or if its just a entirely different grind.

i would like to point out that the yahiko came in same exact box as my mazaki from cleancut. it is cheaper, has a better tip and is a lot thinner. i am guessing jns cleancut and yahiko line are same maker just made to different specs.

i would like to point out that the yahiko came in same exact box as my mazaki from cleancut. it is cheaper, has a better tip and is a lot thinner. i am guessing jns cleancut and yahiko line are same maker just made to different specs.

Boom. Back to the scene of the crime. Any further thoughts on that yahiko? Does it stack up to the mazaki performance-wise? And by cheaper, do you mean the f&f, general details, or the handle? Or cost-wise cheaper?

On another note, my mazaki should arrive tomorrow, freed from the icy clutches of Northern Europe to sunny Southern California:)

Yeah, carbon people like ginsanko for the ease of sharpening compared to other stainless.

Not that I need another knife, I’m curious on trying a ginsanko gyuto. Could be a good knife for my yearly Hawaii visit—where the humidity and salt air rust my knives quickly, and pineapples and citrus stink up carbon, I ususally take carbon and a stainless.

CleanCut and **togo are sold out of the 240, only sources now are JNS and the 240 Kiritsuke at Aframes. Thought they were the same maker, looks/specs are too similar.

My KU/Nashiji arrived today and I'm VERY surprised. It's a 210 vs my 220 kasumi, but this one's thinner than the kasumi. Definitely a keeper by the looks of it. Can't wait to try it tonight.

Some quick photos from my phone...

I was kind of interested in the KU, but almost a little too laserish, but still done very nicely it seems. Thanks for the pics :)

I kind of like those santoku-ish gyuto profiles with the lower tips and slightly more blade height

If you look back in this thread you will see that I always described mine as a santoku/gyuto hybrid.

But a very MANLY santoku :gun1:

Yes, very manly :viking:. This raises a question, at what point does a gyuto become a santoku and why do most members dislike santokus but love gyutos.

Yes, very manly :viking:. This raises a question, at what point does a gyuto becomes a santoku and why do most members dislike santokus but love gyutos.

Because they are a girl's knife... Honesty it's probably more to do with the shorter length and taller height. Then take away a very useful pointy tip and you have your dislike.

The angle of my previous photos exaggerates the "santoku" profile look. While the appearance is still there, the photo below better displays the actual profile of the blade.

The angle of my previous photos exaggerates the "santoku" profile look. While the appearance is still there, the photo below better displays the actual profile of the blade.

That's a santoku! BRO!

Back