mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that means TF Denka definitely worth it then.
It's hard to compare TF and Mazaki in terms of pricing. On the up side (for TF), TF is probably the only major maker who welds carbon core in between stainless clad in house. Most other makers do it with iron clad which is much easier as far as I know, or they use prelam stock. On the down side, the current generation TF no longer do anything in the knife making process. TF is a small factory while Mazaki does everything on his own.

It's hard to compare TF and Mazaki in terms of pricing. On the up side (for TF), TF is probably the only major maker who welds carbon core in between stainless clad in house. Most other makers do it with iron clad which is much easier as far as I know, or they use prelam stock. On the down side, the current generation TF no longer do anything in the knife making process. TF is a small factory while Mazaki does everything on his own.
Doesn't Kisuke Manaka also do stainless clad welded by himself?

Sukenari use to have a water quenched AS damascus line. At their factory Hanaki san showed me the HRC test result for their AS line and the HRC was even higher.
The argument from Hanaki-san is that, as a blacksmith it is always his job to HT the steel to its maximum potential. However, by doing this, the failure rate as also prohibitively high: we are talking about 50%+ failure rate. Eventually he had to discontinue the line.
I suspect Mazaki is also experimenting with different steels and I doubt the AS output will be half decent.

Sukenari use to have a water quenched AS damascus line. At their factory Hanaki san showed me the HRC test result for their AS line and the HRC was even higher.
The argument from Hanaki-san is that, as a blacksmith it is always his job to HT the steel to its maximum potential. However, by doing this, the failure rate as also prohibitively high: we are talking about 50%+ failure rate. Eventually he had to discontinue the line.
I suspect Mazaki is also experimenting with different steels and I doubt the AS output will be half decent.
I'd love to have one of those older dama sukenari AS. Never seen one for sale though...must not have been too many of them made

Mazaki consistent grind inconsistent profile
TF consistent profile inconsistent grind

take your pick which you think is a better deal when talking about the AS lines.

anyway for me I think Mazaki's sweet spot is his basic white 2 240 KU gyuto, one of the absolute best knives Ive ever used after a polish. TF's is the nashiji petty. If I want to spend up I have different preferences.

it's worth pointing out that Mazaki has immense experience with white 2 and some of these blue steels he's doing in fewer numbers. I think some folks are happy to pay for experiments, hey sometimes so am I! Id be more keen on 26c3 than AS though.

I went to Portland Knife House yesterday to check out the new profiles. It was a mixed bag for me. The 240 I really liked but man was it a beast. I owned an older bullnose 240 that seemed much lighter than this. I then picked up a 210 which is my preferred size and I hated it. The blade is so small towards the tip there was not really any forward weight which I love on my older Mazaki's. It looks great for shallot and onion but was more like a 210 petty than a Gyuto. I also have a 180 Nakiri heading my way tomorrow from SharpKnifeShop but I dont think the profiles have changed much on those. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 210 Gyuto but I am glad I didnt. I look forward to seeing his next profile change.

My Nakiri showed up today from Sharp knife shop 180mm with the walnut ferule. I was definitely happy with Sharp Knife Shop. They had the best pricing I found and I got a 10% discount for my first purchase plus shipping was free and got here in a few days. The only downside is that the knife is not very sharp. I dont mind since I will sharpen but my other 2 Mazakis came from Portland Knife House and they were screaming sharp.
I am very happy so far and I think I will love the 180 vs the 165 Nakiris I have owned in the past
Mazaki.jpg

the current generation TF no longer do anything in the knife making process. TF is a small factory while Mazaki does everything on his own.
Not entirely true. TF V works in the 'factory'. He's one of about 5 people working there, some part-time, some full-time. Its more of a cottage industry rather than a factory, which suggests mass production.

Seems they are taking orders for this. I asked the price and was told it is around USD2000 with production time unknown. I captured the shot below from their IG story.
View attachment 147310

That almost strikes me as a bargain compared to this Mazaki damascus santoku for a mere $1200+. For that price you even get the ‘acclaimed’ walnut ferrule handle version and a special new Maz kanji*

Actually it’s a bunka, so that’s ok then. Phew.

*I believe this kanji loosely translates as ‘Jump the Shark’)
1634373093929.jpeg

That almost strikes me as a bargain compared to this Mazaki damascus santoku for a mere $1200+. For that price you even get the ‘acclaimed’ walnut ferrule handle version and a special new Maz kanji*

Actually it’s a bunka, so that’s ok then. Phew.

*I believe this kanji loosely translates as ‘Jump the Shark’)
View attachment 147317
It’s getting a little wacky😂😂

Seems they are taking orders for this. I asked the price and was told it is around USD2000 with production time unknown. I captured the shot below from their IG story.
View attachment 147310

Goodbye triangle of death; Hello rectangle of life!

Calling it now, his next big drop will be a $3k pizza cutter

Back