mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they hold a useable edge very well although that certainly has a lot to do with the grind. What I find is that they and most white steel lose there toothiness very quickly. Things like paper towel, potato, herbs this is just fine for. I notice it losing bite on things like tomato or pepper skins very quickly.

The Shiro 2 in my 2020 Maz Nashiji KU was taken relatively hard and it was a pleasure to sharpen, deburred without fuss and took a great edge. While it made a great daily driver, it did lose its tooth when slammed through a case or two of tomatoes or bellpeppers. With regards to WaToyama Ao 2, the Ao holds on to its tooth a bit longer, but that time is measured in days. It's also not as nice to sharpen and doesn't get as keen by a slim margin. I sharpened both once a week and felt that was sufficient. Neither steel is in the same league as Denka AS with regards to edge retention. Anyway moral of the story is buy a TF 😉

Last edited:
I think they hold a useable edge very well although that certainly has a lot to do with the grind. What I find is that they and most white steel lose there toothiness very quickly. Things like paper towel, potato, herbs this is just fine for. I notice it losing bite on things like tomato or pepper skins very quickly.

This is an astute observation I think...

Going back to it; while the Maz Shiro2 has held 'sharpness' very well in some ways, it doesn't seem to quite retain the teeth and aggression that my AS knives do.

Aogami 2 and Super are certainly my favourite steels, and I don't find them any more difficult to sharpen than white. If anything actually the opposite - they're the easiest for me to get very good edges on.

Last edited:

Going back to it; while the Maz Shiro2 has held 'sharpness' very well in some ways, it doesn't seem to quite retain the teeth and aggression that my AS knives do.

Aogami 2 and Super are certainly my favourite steels, and I don't find them any more difficult to sharpen than white. If anything actually the opposite - I they're the easiest for me to get very good edges on.
The mazaki aogami 1 and shirogami 1 are his best

Aogami 2 and Super are certainly my favourite steels, and I don't find them any more difficult to sharpen than white. If anything actually the opposite - they're the easiest for me to get very good edges on.
I agree with this. Mazaki holds about as well as any other white no. 2 I've tried. I really like the combination of retention-toughness-ease of sharpening. It doesn't feel as brittle as most AS. My AS blades keep an aggressive edge but tend not to feel as solid, even at lesser hardness (esp. from Echiezen). TF is an outlier here. I don't know how he gets such hard AS to feel so solid. I can't really tell a huge difference between regular white and blue no. 2 steels, comparing Mazaki to Watoyama. Yes, retention and toothiness is a bit better for the latter, but not all that much; and I don't think I am able to get Mazaki noticeably keener than Wat or Toyama. Maybe it gets there just a touch faster, but, even then, I'm not good enough to be able to tell.

If I were going to keep a dedicated tomato/pepper knife, it would be in R2. I find SKD/SLD holds a toothy edge well, too.

White no. 2, AEBL, and G3 seem to me to get really keen but not hold the toothiness as well -- all else equal.

Last edited:
I think the comment is influenced by Mazaki's Sensei, Kato. Kato Ku commands more on the secondary market. Supply and demand thing.

But I did read somewhere that there was more work involved to get a proper genuine forge formed Kurouchi. Its not as simple as skipping the blade face grinding stage. TF refers to it as requiring multiple rounds of 'pickling' at low temp leading to their signature smooth satin finish on the Denka. There is also a matt Ku finish on their soft iron clad blades eg Morihei Hisamoto, which seems to have about the same durability with a little more drag. I can also see more work in the forging process as the maker can't grind away metal to get the desired distal taper and geometry.
I'm very curious about how kato's knife is oxidized black, using bluing solutions will get an all black oxide layer, but his kitchen knife has a lot of oxide layer peeling off

Attachments

• 11.jpeg
    11.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
Is Mazaki a slow imploding knife maker or is he going strong? From the “normal” initial WH profiles to kind of flat ones, to $2,500K Damascus knives - some of which people returned because of quality - is he still a fan favorite?

Wonder if he has lost his path

I have one of his earlier blue 1’s - fabulous. But since then, would not buy his knives today

Am I mistaken about him?

I don’t know if he’s “imploding” or lost his path, I’m just waiting for him to switch up from the triangle profile. It’s very functional, but it’s too light and skinny towards the front, lacks authority while cutting.

One of the reasons he had so much hype was because he used to come out with a new profile every few months and people were buying 3 or 4 just to try out, but he’s been sticking with the triangle for a while now, maybe the longest of any profile. The generation before the triangles was really nice and weighty, the super thin Yoshihiro ones were fantastic cutters and the older bullnose profiles are beloved, I saw one pop up on BST a couple weeks ago and it went really quickly.

Plus, most people who want a Maz probably already have one they’re happy with so this thread isn’t nearly as active as it used to be. In terms of being a “fan favorite”, I’m sure if you put out a survey, tons of members would report as still having a Mazaki in their rotation. He’s still the only maker I can think of that makes a knife with a spine 5-7 mm thick out of the handle with continuous taper, nicely thin BTE grind and a pretty hard heat treat that you can pick up starting at under $300 for a 240 mm gyuto.

If he comes out with blue 1/blue 2 in a different profile, non-damascus, I’d love to pick one up. And if he finally made another Ginsan batch, they would sell out instantly. I actually just picked up an older profile Maz because I sold my old one a while back and it left a Mazaki shaped hole in my heart.

kpham, really great points. "lacks authority while cutting" is exactly the reason I havent picked up another one. I loved my first gens and wish I hadnt sold them. That and I HATE the patina that his iron takes on. Also the only knives I have owned that rusted in short storage or while on my storage rack. I wish he would do stainless clad on his white.

Second that motion @kpham12, really good points and could not agree more your perspective.

The DT on the earlier knives was insane and a joy to work with. I sold my iron clad KU, but kept a Kasumi Blue 1 WH - which is stellar

The triangle does not appeal

kpham, really great points. "lacks authority while cutting" is exactly the reason I havent picked up another one. I loved my first gens and wish I hadnt sold them. That and I HATE the patina that his iron takes on. Also the only knives I have owned that rusted in short storage or while on my storage rack. I wish he would do stainless clad on his white.
He does stainless clad with shirogami

Is Mazaki a slow imploding knife maker or is he going strong? From the “normal” initial WH profiles to kind of flat ones, to $2,500K Damascus knives - some of which people returned because of quality - is he still a fan favorite?

Wonder if he has lost his path

I have one of his earlier blue 1’s - fabulous. But since then, would not buy his knives today

Am I mistaken about him?
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I think a few things play a role:
-Hype is always a bit temporary....in the past the forum had phases for plenty of other knife makers... usually they tend to fade mostly because anyone who cares about it has one (or more); the cheaper a knife the faster it happens because it's less cost-prohibitive.
-I think some editions didn't necessarily implode on him, but did hurt enthusiasm: the honyakis and damascus were ludicrously overpriced, the triangle gyutos were not everyone's cup of tea, and then on top of that a lot of those triangles (and some of the expensive knives too) came with those crappy walnut bolster handle that pretty much no one liked.

Personally I think the hate for the triangle profile is a bit overblown; I actually prefer it over for example the Yoshikane - although admittedly their profiles are also somewhat divisive. It's a bit too heavy and tall for my taste - but that's more of an indication that I'm simply not a workhorse guy. And I'm simply not a fan of the iron cladding; I have the same dislike about my Y. Tanaka... but again that's a personal preference. However for the price you get a very well-finished great looking knife, with excellent F&F, a fat spine above the heel that makes just about any knife blush, and a really really nice distal taper.
If he made them in blue or blue super... with less reactive cladding... I don't think people would care about TF anymore.

I am not sure if that's the 2019 profile but I definitely prefer it over the triangle one. It was bought from a fellow member here on 2020 from CKC and purchased it second hand from him a couple months ago. I really love it, one of my favourite knives.

Mazaki 270 KU:

IMG_20220922_233049.jpg

Here is a comparison with a 240 triangle:

IMG_20220922_233346.jpg

Yeah I would say it's more distal/bull nose to it. So do the ones I have.
I am not sure if that's the 2019 profile but I definitely prefer it over the triangle one. It was bought from a fellow member here on 2020 from CKC and purchased it second hand from him a couple months ago. I really love it, one of my favourite knives.

Mazaki 270 KU:

View attachment 199797

Here is a comparison with a 240 triangle:

View attachment 199798

Back