Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Mazaki at his best.

kQPeFz0.jpg
2019 wasn’t bad either.
79F3090F-EADC-4A66-9431-D6DD7718BEEB.jpeg

rmrf

Reaction score
Personally I think the hate for the triangle profile is a bit overblown; I actually prefer it over for example the Yoshikane - although admittedly their profiles are also somewhat divisive. It's a bit too heavy and tall for my taste - but that's more of an indication that I'm simply not a workhorse guy. And I'm simply not a fan of the iron cladding; I have the same dislike about my Y. Tanaka... but again that's a personal preference. However for the price you get a very well-finished great looking knife, with excellent F&F, a fat spine above the heel that makes just about any knife blush, and a really really nice distal taper.
If he made them in blue or blue super... with less reactive cladding... I don't think people would care about TF anymore.
I agree that the hate for the triangle is overblown. It took a month or so to adapt, but once I did it became my favorite. My JNS mazaki just sits in a box now. However, I'm also a fan of Yoshikane so ymmv. What I love most about mazaki is the distal taper.

I would love if he made knives SS clad or in something less reactive. Thats my biggest pet peeve with mazaki and why I keep a yoshikane and a blazen around.

Gregmega

Reaction score
I think a few things play a role:
-Hype is always a bit temporary....in the past the forum had phases for plenty of other knife makers... usually they tend to fade mostly because anyone who cares about it has one (or more); the cheaper a knife the faster it happens because it's less cost-prohibitive.
-I think some editions didn't necessarily implode on him, but did hurt enthusiasm: the honyakis and damascus were ludicrously overpriced, the triangle gyutos were not everyone's cup of tea, and then on top of that a lot of those triangles (and some of the expensive knives too) came with those crappy walnut bolster handle that pretty much no one liked.

Personally I think the hate for the triangle profile is a bit overblown; I actually prefer it over for example the Yoshikane - although admittedly their profiles are also somewhat divisive. It's a bit too heavy and tall for my taste - but that's more of an indication that I'm simply not a workhorse guy. And I'm simply not a fan of the iron cladding; I have the same dislike about my Y. Tanaka... but again that's a personal preference. However for the price you get a very well-finished great looking knife, with excellent F&F, a fat spine above the heel that makes just about any knife blush, and a really really nice distal taper.
If he made them in blue or blue super... with less reactive cladding... I don't think people would care about TF anymore.
I have 3 in blue (1&2) & one in blue super. All fine specimens. And every range from bullnose to triangle, but those early ones are still absolute fuego.

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score
I agree that the hate for the triangle is overblown. It took a month or so to adapt, but once I did it became my favorite. My JNS mazaki just sits in a box now. However, I'm also a fan of Yoshikane so ymmv. What I love most about mazaki is the distal taper.

I would love if he made knives SS clad or in something less reactive. Thats my biggest pet peeve with mazaki and why I keep a yoshikane and a blazen around.
I quite like my Maz 270 suji. Nice and stiff; no flex when cutting denser stuff. It's from the triangle gen as well but I don't see how that could be a problem.

I'm with you on the reactivity; it's a bit too much for me. Not a problem on the suji but on the gyuto it's no bueno.

Reaction score
Is Mazaki a slow imploding knife maker or is he going strong? From the “normal” initial WH profiles to kind of flat ones, to $2,500K Damascus knives - some of which people returned because of quality - is he still a fan favorite?

Wonder if he has lost his path

I have one of his earlier blue 1’s - fabulous. But since then, would not buy his knives today

Am I mistaken about him?
I bought 2 of his a few months ago - my first experience of his work. Very nice. Shiro #2, KU Nashi-ji finish. The nakiri is extremely well balanced, with a great edge - have not had to sharpen it yet. I only have 1 gyuto - which is his, and that has a light feel to it, fine profile and for a non-gyuto fan quite the revelation. On top of that I think the craftsmanship is superb. I will certainly buy more of his.

Attachments

• tempImageyT0iFJ.png
    tempImageyT0iFJ.png
    15.4 MB · Views: 0