mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greg, badgertooth sold one of those a while back on bst. i would have totally ordered one if they offered in 240 size.
so i got someone from work to order the yahiko, i will compare side by side when he gets it.

Yahiko 240mm is $220, mazaki is $300ish shipped (jns).

Ahhhhh, I'm looking at:

210mm, JNS, 198 (ex vat before shipping);
210mm, CKTG, 200 (before shipping)
Cleancut-waiting on email response...

So I guess my general inspection was just all the things lining up for whether they are one and the same... Sanjo, solo maker, same steel, same profile, similar retail price point pre-shipping, etc...

greg, badgertooth sold one of those a while back on bst. i would have totally ordered one if they offered in 240 size.
so i got someone from work to order the yahiko, i will compare side by side when he gets it.

Gotcha! Can't wait:)). Nerding XL on this for some weird reason[emoji12]

Ahhhhh, I'm looking at:

210mm, JNS, 198 (ex vat before shipping);
210mm, CKTG, 200 (before shipping)
Cleancut-waiting on email response...

So I guess my general inspection was just all the things lining up for whether they are one and the same... Sanjo, solo maker, same steel, same profile, similar retail price point pre-shipping, etc...

Price dropped big time over at jns

Maybe that's also why JWW dumped the price on those tsukasa as well. I'll take it!!

I guess my point is that yahiko was always cheapo typical cktg bargain bin price($220). JNS mazaki was priced at $315ish. Do you think maxim just decided charge $95 more for an identical knife sold at cktg? Because I don’t. There’s likely differences associated with production or material costs somewhere.

Point taken. I guess I don't ever recall the price of the mazaki being that high, I always recall it being in the low 200 range, but I also never looked that hard at them until I saw a much better looking finished product that cleancut came out with (maybe that price is compounded in the obviously better finish & handle, and 30$ is a really easy sum to come up with for simple details such as that). Also I've seen plenty of people take liberty with their pricing, and seen markets adjust and react/reflect market fluctuations. I guess I'll hold out until the two are in the same room to see if the rumor will be substantiated (or destroyed).

Cleancut deducts VAT and then ads shipping which is usually about the same as the VAT.

ditmas, also consider mutsumi hinoura it's quite good i especially like the profile, a tall wide bevel with a fantastic KU finish. http://bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/mutsumi-hinoura-shirogami-240mm-wa-gyuto.html
maybe you could ask them to flip the handle 180deg.

just read up on yahiko, it states he trained under yoshikane where as jns states mazaki trained under kato. specs do look quite similar though. i hope someone tries it and offer impressions. *cough ditmas, it has octagon handle!

Yes, I saw the Yahiko, remarkably similar to the Mazaki, on the •••go site it's listed at "HRC: 60-61." The octagon hand is no where near as nice as your cherry wood D. The 240 is sold out. Could it be a knife from the same workshop made by another someone else? Or maybe the same maker but slightly different specs/HT, etc.? Personally I'd want one from either CC or JNS for the knife.

Yes, I saw the Yahiko, remarkably similar to the Mazaki, on the •••go site it's listed at "HRC: 60-61." The octagon hand is no where near as nice as your cherry wood D. The 240 is sold out. Could it be a knife from the same workshop made by another someone else? Or maybe the same maker but slightly different specs/HT, etc.? Personally I'd want one from either CC or JNS for the knife.

he only recently dropped by kato after maksim approached him for knives....

back side kanji is exactly the same white 2 in hand chiseled look and front side kanji is same style but different word.

o yes maksim said mazaki is a one man shop so not likely to be someone else.

back side kanji is exactly the same white 2 in hand chiseled look and front side kanji is same style but different word.

r9WnsIc.jpg

Can anyone translate the kanji? Mazaki and Yahiko.

I know I'm not crazy on this one. You can make up thirty bucks in handle material and polish in ten minutes. (In regards to the price difference at cleancut)

Also I'm not sure what maxsim was charging, nor do I really care, but as of right now he's charging the same basic price as the yahiko, for the smaller models he's even cheaper atm...

No bashing intended but isn't Mark's business model based on recognizing what's selling then having the same (or other) craftsman make the same knife cheaper through cheaper materials/processes? He's understandably not very transparent about it but his "exclusive" products all seem to be knock-offs.

Yes, I know that Heiji and Mazaki are markedly different from what I’ve gathered—never have had the opportunity of using either of them. I certainly don’t “need” another gyuto, I “want” another gyuto, and owe a birthday present to myself.

Hard to describe exactly what I’m looking for, kinda know it when I see it (on KKF).

What I’m looking for? Hard to define, elusive—something about the Heiji and Mazaki catches my attention. I’m attracted to gyutos that have a uniqueness/character, well crafted, great performers, mid-weight, not to delicate or precious. Of the gyutos I own, I respond best to gyutos with a bit of heft, and distinctive personalities—namely my Kato, KS and Kochi possess those qualities. For instance, my 240 Konosuke Fujiyama is flawlessly produced, well designed, and beautiful gyuto—but I’ve never used it much, doesn’t fit my cooking style, too light—sits in the box it was purchased collecting dust.

Heiji got my attention because of much that has been said about the carbon steel used; love the defined bevel shoulders on the knife. There’s a rustic beauty to them, a look and design that’s distinctly Heiji.

Mazaki caught my eye—from preizzo’s post and thread—love the overall design of the knife; the wide spine width at the spine; 250mm length; profile is very different to anything I have, slightly santoku-ish; that high hazy finish is very cool looking. I liked your description of the Mazaki forward half feeling laser-ish, while the back more robust.

Heiji vs Mazaki. Again, I know they’re massively different, but those are the two contenders for my b-day present to myself.

Pro/Con. When I emailed Nakaya Heiji, he said it’ll be a four month wait; Mazaki is a mouse click away, but since I’m a lefty the d-handle’s an issue, Cleancut doesn't have lefty d-handles for it (I also don't have tools or space in my NYC apartment to re-handle myself, and Korin ships knives to Japan for re-handling).
I would suggest Doi gyuto if you want a unique, non-delicate knife with good heft. Similar profile to KS with a Kato like food release. It has a more pronounced shoulder than Kato and is awesome at pull cuts and rock chopping.

Even if I sell my Doi, there are 2 others in line for it! Definitely a unique knife.

No bashing intended but isn't Mark's business model based on recognizing what's selling then having the same (or other) craftsman make the same knife cheaper through cheaper materials/processes? He's understandably not very transparent about it but his "exclusive" products all seem to be knock-offs.

Yeah, but he was able to get the only handful of ks's being made, lol.

Back