mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No bashing intended but isn't Mark's business model based on recognizing what's selling then having the same (or other) craftsman make the same knife cheaper through cheaper materials/processes? He's understandably not very transparent about it but his "exclusive" products all seem to be knock-offs.

while i know mark looks crazy sometimes in videos or photos and has strange business approaches but he has had the hairline white 2 yahikos before the recent interest in em... just saying...

while i know mark looks crazy sometimes in videos or photos and has dirty business approaches but he has had the hairline white 2 yahikos before the recent interest in em... just saying...

Fixed that for you;)

I think of Mark like the guy that gives used car salesmen a bad name...

Legend has it Mark actually drew the original KS profile on a breakfast napkin after it came to him in a dream the previous night

No bashing intended but isn't Mark's business model based on recognizing what's selling then having the same (or other) craftsman make the same knife cheaper through cheaper materials/processes? He's understandably not very transparent about it but his "exclusive" products all seem to be knock-offs.

I am hesitant to get the Yahiko because of that very reason—not sure how and if it differs from the Mazaki. That said, I've bought a few things from Mark in the past without issue, and found customer service to be pretty good.

It sucks being a lefty in the j-knife market. For me, buying a $260 Mazaki, then adding a new handle for say $60 for a chestnut handle or $150 for a custom takes the knife cost to $320 or $410. Meaning I could get another brand's octagon handled gyuto in the $400 price bracket.

Being these are hand made there seems to be a bit of variance in the specs. Like I stated early in the thread mine is 246x54.7 (Panda's was 253x53 if I recall). The profile is a santoku/gyuto hybrid, rather flat and low tip. The OOB edge was not very good, but this is nothing new. If I had to guess HRC I would say 62ish, perhaps there is some variance here as well? I have been into taller knives lately so I'm very please with this one. I recently picked up a similar spec'ed Toyama and at nearly half the cost I'm very impressed so far.

It sucks being a lefty in the j-knife market. For me, buying a $260 Mazaki, then adding a new handle for say $60 for a chestnut handle or $150 for a custom takes the knife cost to $320 or $410. Meaning I could get another brand's octagon handled gyuto in the $400 price bracket.

Would the retailer flip around the D handle for you if requested?

All of the knives at JNS seem to come with the same handle, so I've wondered if Maxim does his own installation. Likewise, I believe that James installs his own "semi-custom" handles at K&S.

I am hesitant to get the Yahiko because of that very reason—not sure how and if it differs from the Mazaki. That said, I've bought a few things from Mark in the past without issue, and found customer service to be pretty good.

Just for reference my Lefty Marko KS 52100 gyuto was $450 shipped, with exceptional custom handle.

And this is exactly why I'm putting this one in the front of the line.

Panda definitely knows his knives... but if you're going to follow him be prepared for something new next month:lol2:

Sheiiiit! Wish a stainless clad version was available, I’d be all over one!

Would the retailer flip around the D handle for you if requested?

All of the knives at JNS seem to come with the same handle, so I've wondered if Maxim does his own installation. Likewise, I believe that James installs his own "semi-custom" handles at K&S.

The Mazaki dealer I emailed wouldn't flip the handle.

Panda definitely knows his knives... but if you're going to follow him be prepared for something new next month:lol2:

i dont actually swap out my kit that often but i have made quite a few changes recently. i do have a new knife coming soon though, a custom mario (the real question here is, will it beat out the legendary ks??)

Have you ever used a right handed D handle as a lefty? I dont find it to be an issue with a pinch grip on a gyuto. You can also try to flip the handle yourself. I’ve done in a few times before on knives in this ballpark where I didn’t want to pay for a handle upgrade. It worked well for me.

yeah same here,i have 2 right handed D handles as a lefty and find it pretty good, but i´m curious if i will like a left one better because the right one feels perfekt with pinch grip

Have you ever used a right handed D handle as a lefty? I dont find it to be an issue with a pinch grip on a gyuto. You can also try to flip the handle yourself. I’ve done in a few times before on knives in this ballpark where I didn’t want to pay for a handle upgrade. It worked well for me.

I choose not to use righty d-handles just on principle—it's like wearing a shirt inside out. In the $200–$300 range, there are lots of lefty friendly, octagon handled gyutos to choose from. To me, no gyuto is so great that I'd buy a righty d-handle knife.

Can't flip the handle myself, no tools or glue in my NYC apartment—buying them just adds to the cost of the knife.

Panda—now that you've had the Mazaki for a week and a half, are there any other observations you've made? Is it developing a patina? How's the edge lasting compared to your Watanabe?

Principles are important and I am right handed, so take it for what it is, but some rightly positioned D handles are actually more comfortable to use with the left hand for me. I tried it just for the hell of it, because I wanted to give my "defective" (lefty) :rofl2: cousin a present. My cousin agreed that some of the D-handles were very comfortable as a lefty.

Poor broken members...

image.jpeg

It's very reactive at the moment like any iron clad, I imagine it will call down once a stable patina is built up. Retention is good, but let's be honest nothing white steel gonna last as long as Watanabe. My previous longest lasting white was munetoshi.

Cleancut started putting fancy octagonal handles on Mazaki knives too, Incase any lefties are interested.[(quote

I love a nice oval handle. The anryu oval handle is easily one of my favorite, if not favorite stock handle.

Back