mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might need a couple siblings for these two.Mazaki [emoji173]️
IMG_1593.jpg

Ignored my self imposed ban on buying knives for this recent round of nashiji ku. I have one of these from the original run a while back. It's the 210 (aka 219x53mm), and it's the only one I've kept. The other 2 kasumi mazaki gyutos I have sold.
These nashiji ku versions are so fantastic in my opinion. So I picked up a 210. Then gave it a few hours of thought and went back for a 240 as well. Couldn't help myself. So here we go.

Forgot to add a pic of my current one...

View attachment 61120

I actually prefer this profile, kinda like the earlier, more bull nose profile.

@nyc CC meaning Cleancut? I thought they ran out of Mazaki completely until the next shipment
Yup Cleancut. The purchase was made a couple of months back but I just picked them up over the weekend as I’m not based at the delivery address.
They were out of stock but when I contacted them about the restock, they said they had one last sujihiki. That’s how I wound up with it.

Folks, a Mazaki question - I have the nashiji 210 and wanted to get teh 240 as well, as the Maz is by far my favourite knife. However, if I get it, it will be later this eyar and I have this illogical paranoia that due to the hype and the pressure to put out a lot of product Mazaki will start skimping on quality. Am I being stupid here? I genuinely love my mazaki and how it feels.

@DisconnectedAG I don't know what to tell you other than buy used when the time comes? If you read all 35 pages of this thread, you will learn that there seem to be noticeable batch variations in his recent output, and nobody here can guarantee you what his next few batches will be like.

@DisconnectedAG I don't know what to tell you other than buy used when the time comes? If you read all 35 pages of this thread, you will learn that there seem to be noticeable batch variations in his recent output, and nobody here can guarantee you what his next few batches will be like.
I know. This makes perfect sense. :( I know that CKC has a new batch, but will probably wait for Cleancut to get their stock back in again. Although I am on the lookout for the old ones as and when they come up.

Folks, a Mazaki question - I have the nashiji 210 and wanted to get teh 240 as well, as the Maz is by far my favourite knife. However, if I get it, it will be later this eyar and I have this illogical paranoia that due to the hype and the pressure to put out a lot of product Mazaki will start skimping on quality. Am I being stupid here? I genuinely love my mazaki and how it feels.
I wouldn’t worry about it. His prices are steadily rising. Take a look at all the photos at carbon, they look like they have improved finish. I want to say that with each batch and each month he’s improving what he does. Mazaki has a great teacher, but experience is the best teacher.

To my knowledge, he doesn't have that reputation. There's variation, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints from buyers like with TF or something.

@DisconnectedAG I’d be more concerned about the price increase. And as @ian said, it’s hardly like TF thought undeniably there has been variations. The sujihiki I just picked has a more realised kasumi finish than the 240 profile from JNS which has not been popular. That said this profile version has turned out to be my go-to gyuto. It needed some thinning in the front 2 inches but that aside it’s been great.

Mazaki from carbonknife arrived. Mine is 52.5mm tall 244mm long 261 grams with a massive 5.75mm spine over the choil (at the handle it’s probably even fatter). The distal taper ofcourse looks great.
OOTB “polishing” always seemed like an overrated topic and this is where Maz cuts corners thank god. The blade had some faux frosted looking finish that looks just nice enough for people that care about such things.
OOTB edge is terrible. But I don’t mind at all. I’ll throw a quick edge on it tomorrow before work.
Blade is ground quite thin. I’ve used early mazaki knives from CC and this one much thinner. Might even need a microbevel, especially with 260 grams of weight above the edge.
My initial impressions are the same as most when it comes to mazaki. You get a lot of knife especially in the performance department for the money.

Just sharpened up this new mazaki. I’m guessing the only other one I’ve used had heat treat issues or something because this one sharpened quickly and took a screaming edge.
The only other maz I’ve sharpened was pandas which is the knife that started this thread. If you look back and read the first page or so you’ll see we were both kinda let down with how it performed on the stones.
Either way, whatever. Maybe we had a dud. Really enjoyed the edge taking on this one.

Just sharpened up this new mazaki. I’m guessing the only other one I’ve used had heat treat issues or something because this one sharpened quickly and took a screaming edge.
The only other maz I’ve sharpened was pandas which is the knife that started this thread. If you look back and read the first page or so you’ll see we were both kinda let down with how it performed on the stones.
Either way, whatever. Maybe we had a dud. Really enjoyed the edge taking on this one.
@labor of love How does one spot heat treat issues? What are the tell tale signs?

I have no idea other than to say a blade shouldn’t feel like a piece of wood while your sharpening it.
That’s interesting. I’d assume that it would also translate to issues of edge and edge retention as well?

Back