mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking at the choil shots again on CKC and the 240 ku gyuto and 180 ku petty are already sold out. That was fast.

Just looking at the choil shots again on CKC and the 240 ku gyuto and 180 ku petty are already sold out. That was fast.
Bullet train of hype. Good for them, bad for anyone on the fence

Such good news. I couldn't justify to myself getting another 240 Mazaki but I kept eyeing the new ones at CKC.

Mazaki with the hype again. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am not a KU fan, and ignore the kasumi also on ckc... and stick with my plan of going deep with a shihan or kippington. In any case I'm probably in the minority that kinda likes the JNS profile.
The profile is my go to gyuto. I realise a lot people detest it. But for me, it’s incredibly versatile - almost feels like 2 knives in 1. I think if I had sprung for the 210 instead of the 240, I’d have found it even more versatile.

Reactions: dsk
Guys, please keep this thread on topic and take semantics and whether J-knife buyers are well informed elsewhere. There is really no need to start the same discussion in every other thread. Thank you.

Based on the specs from @labor of love and @Koakuma, I have a feeling the 240mm nashiji would be too heavy for me. I borrowed a 240mm Wat KU from @daveb last month and at 254g I could barely lift it.

Labor and Kuma, perhaps the keyaki handle makes the knives feel more balanced? Dave's Wat felt pretty blade heavy, and I got a similar feeling with a much lighter Toyama (217g iirc) since both had ho wood handles. I feel like my 233g Wat with keyaki feels really balanced in comparison. Wondering if the keyaki handles do the same thing for your Maz.

Also, did anyone here get the CKC kasumi? Would love to have some specs on those as well

Based on the specs from @labor of love and @Koakuma, I have a feeling the 240mm nashiji would be too heavy for me. I borrowed a 240mm Wat KU from @daveb last month and at 254g I could barely lift it.

Labor and Kuma, perhaps the keyaki handle makes the knives feel more balanced? Dave's Wat felt pretty blade heavy, and I got a similar feeling with a much lighter Toyama (217g iirc) since both had ho wood handles. I feel like my 233g Wat with keyaki feels really balanced in comparison. Wondering if the keyaki handles do the same thing for your Maz.

Also, did anyone here get the CKC kasumi? Would love to have some specs on those as well
Yeah, the balance is right at the pinch grip for me.

I really couldnt help myself. This CKC batch looks too good. Grabbed a 180mm petty kasumi. REalllyy wanted the suji but I couldnt do it. Luckily I know where to find those if I want to come back to it.

Buy one, use it, come back here, and tell us it’s hype.
I have a maz its not like I'm using the word hype pejoratively, just that maz gets everyone's engines roaring fast is all.

To clarify since hype clearly means many things.

@Xenif has a Maz nakiri, but it's not in the standard size. I'd love to get the kasumi nakiri and get it all nasty with patina though. :) the choil shot of that looks so sweet

did you know that CC is now out of mazakis?

I was in the store checking a few of of them out, the 240ies. got the hinoura white 2 instead, felt like better qual imo.

You driven the new civic?
Pretty sure 1990s Civic would survive the apocalypse

I had put the 240 ku nashiji through a day of prep, and I have to say the hype is real for this Mazaki. First to my surprise, the ootb edge on my Mazaki was one of the best I’ve used. The reactivity isn’t bad, it had build up some patina but no rust even tho I was not able to wipe it clean every time. It had went through a case of broccoli, carrot and celery, and by the end of the day the edge is still great. It move through everything effortlessly.

@Xenif come on man, you can't say that without showing us the choil :p

Would your friend say that the 165mm nakiri runs a bit longer? (say 170, give or take 1-2 mm)

been looking for a 270 suji, picked up a KU one. anyone know a saya that will fit? CKC doesnt have any

Back