mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My CKC KU Nashiji weighed in at 263g. Actual length was about 245mm and 53mm high.

I’ve cut up a few onions, potatoes and a cabbage - I would reiterate everything positive said about the performance, it cuts extremely well. My ootb edge was very sharp. And reactivity seems low. Best bang for buck knife I’ve had.

@CiderBear , I've ordered a CKC kasumi in 240, and Craig/team sent me this photo of the actual knife I'm getting (alongside the nashiji 210 I also ordered, and both inside their sayas). Haven't received them yet so can't measure, but CKC did mention the kasumis were thinner (which makes sense). They also said there was some variation among the knives even in the same line, and picked out one for me that was particularly thin behind the edge (vs some they deemed as more 'workhorsey'). If you'd like more info on the kasumis, I'd encourage you to call them directly -- they were super nice. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20190919_160609.jpg
    20190919_160609.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190919_161628.jpg
    20190919_161628.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 155
@sumofruit thank you so much for sharing! Did you request the photos in your note or ask them to pick out a specific grind?

@CiderBear I just asked them (when ordering) to pick out two nice knives for me, that were on the straighter side, then called them to follow up on the sayas. They then asked me what I preferred in the way of grind and thickness; and offered to send me photos. Ironically, the profile reminds me a bit of the JNS new profile - more curved than I would have liked. But who knows from the photos (?).

BTW, they said that just a few kasumi 240s had been sold to date, while the nashiji 240s were quickly wiped out. They seemed puzzled by all this. I attributed it to the KKF / @labor of love / @ashy2classy effect. ;)

It looks like they currently have just one nashiji 210 left. @DisconnectedAG and anyone else hoping to get the nashiji 240 -- they said more nashiji 240s might be coming in over the next few weeks, but no guarantees!

(edited to add footnote)

Last edited:
@CiderBear I just asked them (when ordering) to pick out two nice knives for me, that were on the straighter side, then called them to follow up on the sayas. They then asked me what I preferred in the way of grind and thickness; and offered to send me photos. Ironically, the profile reminds me a bit of the JNS new profiles - more curved than I would have liked. But who knows from the photos (?).

BTW, they said that just a few kasumi 240s had been sold to date, while the nashiji 240s were quickly wiped out. They seemed puzzled by all this. I attributed it to the KKF / @labor of love / @ashy2classy effect. ;)

It looks like they currently have just one nashiji 210. @DisconnectedAG and anyone else hoping to get the nashiji 240 -- they said more nashiji 240s might be coming in over the next few weeks, but no guarantees!

(edited to add footnote)
KU being cheaper, and frankly looking pretty amazing even if they perform similarly.

KU being cheaper, and frankly looking pretty amazing even if they perform similarly.

@dsk I was going to ask that (being a newb). Does the nashiji generally perform similarly to the kasumi, and is it largely just an aesthetic thing then? I know the KU might help with corrosion, and the nashiji is generally thicker/heavier, but that might seem to affect usability more than performance.

Mazaki sell themselves. There has been a KU nashiji finish drought for sometime, I brought attention to the restock but they were going to sell quick anyway.

Been looking at the Maz Nash ever since they came out, but thing that's held me back from buying one is that they're too common. I do like Maz, were me go-to for a long time—currently have 3 of them—but feel he produces too many blades, and at too low a price-point for me to have an interest. #rarity. Probably why knives like Kato, Shig and Jiro have captured my imagination—despite the fact that my credit card would hate me were I to get one.

@sumofruit really appreciate you sharing your experiences with them. I need to stop buying knives for a couple weeks. I hope they last until I can buy another knife lol.

Let me know how much they weight when you get yours. And I think they have a pretty decent flat spot, not like the yucky final JNS profile (which gives me goosebumps whenever I see it)

Been looking at the Maz Nash ever since they came out, but thing that's held me back from buying one is that they're too common. I do like Maz, were me go-to for a long time—currently have 3 of them—but feel he produces too many blades, and at too low a price-point for me to have an interest. #rarity. Probably why knives like Kato, Shig and Jiro have captured my imagination—despite the fact that my credit card would hate me were I to get one.

are you saying the flipping potential is too low with them?

Mazaki sell themselves. There has been a KU nashiji finish drought for sometime, I brought attention to the restock but they were going to sell quick anyway.

I think you underestimate your credibility and influence capital! That's been clear to me just perusing this thread. :)

@sumofruit really appreciate you sharing your experiences with them. I need to stop buying knives for a couple weeks. I hope they last until I can buy another knife lol.

Let me know how much they weight when you get yours. And I think they have a pretty decent flat spot, not like the yucky final JNS profile (which gives me goosebumps whenever I see it)

Definitely - though I'm not sure my scale can weigh at the precision needed. Will do what I can. :)

I think you underestimate your credibility and influence capital! That's been clear to me just perusing this thread. :)
Oh. Well thank you. I haven’t said anything that hasn’t already been echoed by so many folks on this thread before me though.
I genuinely think the newest batch is nice.
Really want a 270mm gyuto from mazaki. The 260mm gram 240mm just feels to wimpy for me :D

Nah, no interest in flipping knives, I just want knives I deem special in my collection.

I understand what you mean: limiting one’s keepers to the knives one deems special. But it appears that we employ different criteria in finding the special ones. For me it is all a personal relationship with the tool. How it feels, what modifications I’ve done to it, what we’ve been through etc. Whether a knife is mass produced or very rare just doesn’t enter into the equation of specialness for me personally. If anything, rarity, high price and universal praise deter me from finding something very special or interesting, but I think that is just an idiosyncratic psychological quirk of mine.

I understand what you mean: limiting one’s keepers to the knives one deems special. But it appears that we employ different criteria in finding the special ones. For me it is all a personal relationship with the tool. How it feels, what modifications I’ve done to it, what we’ve been through etc. Whether a knife is mass produced or very rare just doesn’t enter into the equation of specialness for me personally. If anything, rarity, high price and universal praise deter me from finding something very special or interesting, but I think that is just an idiosyncratic psychological quirk of mine.

I agree with you about having a personal bond with knives, which I have with those I've kept.

Regarding Maz Nash, I do like them, borrowed a Nash for a couple of months. Gorgeous finish and great cutter IMO. I currently own 3 Mazs that I love.

However, for my humble collection, I don't have a need for another Mazaki. Don't want another cheap, buzzy, common knife that a lot of people have—i.e. Maz Nash. Would rather save up for something more uncommon, unique.

I have all the kitchen knives I need on a practical level—now I'm trying to acquire things I "want."

However, for my humble collection, I don't have a need for another Mazaki. Don't want another cheap, buzzy, common knife that a lot of people have—i.e. Maz Nash. Would rather save up for something more uncommon, unique.

Ouch. :( I was getting so excited about my upcoming delivery of two shiny new Mazakis!

Very excited. I have a 250mm gyuto and a 180 petty. Really can not buy better knives in my limited experience. More expensive yes, but better... Enjoy!
Let's not go overboard here. The knives are very good and priced right, meaning you are getting a lot for your money. You should be excited, just because someone doesn't want to buy their forth has no barring on the quality of these knives. To say you can't buy a better knife for any money is just wrong.

Whatever your parameters are, once you take price out of the equation there is a knife out there that is better than Mazaki. That is why you can never take price out, price is always part of. I agree with @panda on this. Good knives, good beaters, very good for the price, but the hype needs to stop. Not the end all be all of kitchen knives.

Whatever your parameters are, once you take price out of the equation there is a knife out there that is better than Mazaki. That is why you can never take price out, price is always part of. I agree with @panda on this. Good knives, good beaters, very good for the price, but the hype needs to stop. Not the end all be all of kitchen knives.

I recognize that you are an experienced and savvy user of high end knives. My goodness you have been through bunch over the years and that is just from what I can ascertain on BST. One day I would like to sit down with you over a bottle of wine and find out what knives you have found to be "the end all and be all of kitchen knives" or those that even came close. Be well old man.

I recognize that you are an experienced and savvy user of high end knives. My goodness you have been through bunch over the years and that is just from what I can ascertain on BST. One day I would like to sit down with you over a bottle of wine and find out what knives you have found to be "the end all and be all of kitchen knives" or those that even came close. Be well old man.
Fortunately, I haven’t found one, I hope I never will:D

@CiderBear , I just unpacked and weighed my two CKC gyutos.

The CKC kasumi 240mm weighs in at 260-61 grams, and it's blade heavy -- didn't have a ruler handy, but I eyeballed the balance point to be a good 1.75-2" into the blade, above the top of the handle. Not sure yet, but it might be heavier than ideal for me to use as my daily driver at home.

The CKC nashiji 210mm weighs in at 199-200 grams, and the balance point (again eyeballed, so no guarantees) appears to be about 1" above the top of the handle. It's much more manageable for me and I really love the profile.

Both blades are straighter than I expected, with the 210 a tad straighter than the kasumi I earlier got from Cleancut. The fit and finish on both are outstanding.

CKC was incredible to work with - they were super nice and accommodating. Not sure what they have left in stock, but as I mentioned up above, they'd told me that there was a good chance they'd have more 240mm nashijis coming in, just about now.

I've uploaded a few photos of the knives on the scale. Sorry I'm not able to take any beauty shots right now!

Attachments

• 20190929_180543.jpg
    20190929_180543.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190929_181151.jpg
    20190929_181151.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 93
the ckc kasumi 180 petty/suji for me is great. its pretty nimble, as my newly designated chive slicer. not quite as heavy feeling as i expected after using his gyutos. the distal taper on this one is really impressive as well, it real thin and razor ish at the tip. makes me rly wanna try his “full size” sujis out. also loving the profile, and keyaki octo handles dont hurt neither.

the ckc kasumi 180 petty/suji for me is great. its pretty nimble, as my newly designated chive slicer. not quite as heavy feeling as i expected after using his gyutos. the distal taper on this one is really impressive as well, it real thin and razor ish at the tip. makes me rly wanna try his “full size” sujis out. also loving the profile, and keyaki octo handles dont hurt neither.
I had a shigehiro pegged as my next 180mm petty then the new mazakis came out...pretty tough choice for me.

Back