mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops, ate a word. edited

Maybe I should make a Mazaki KU/Kasumi vs TF Nashiji/Maboroshi thread...
I got both a 240 TF Nashiji and a oversized 210 KU Yoshihiro Mazaki for my birthday 2 years ago. So I feel I have a pretty good vantage for comparing them out of box and their progression, the TF steel held an edge significantly better, the Mazaki had a overall better grind though, that I still appreciate to this day, whereas I ended up paying for a professional to do serious thinning on the TF

All the hype has me curious about Mazaki knives, but there are enough inconsistencies and naysayers that I haven't gone through with purchasing one. What's the verdict on the 2020 kasumi versus kurouchi nashiji? From trying to read through this enormous thread, it sounds like maybe the kasumi is more prone to wedging, and the profile of the kuro nashiji is a little longer and more pointy. For those that have used one or both of these, do you think one is clearly the better choice, or what are important differences/pros and cons?

Then there is the question of whether Mazaki is worth it at this time in general. Seems like there is so much change batch to batch that maybe he hasn't yet hit his stride... maybe I should wait till next year or beyond. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I am considering one of the K&S 240 mm W#2 versions at the moment. Seems like the main complaint about these, at least for some people, is dislike of ebony handles, which is not an issue for me unless it makes the balance point awkward.

Apologies if any of this has been hashed out in this thread already and I missed it...

You should read the thread. I think they are generally well regarded but some hardcore fans have bought multiple knives to experience the differences in each batch to find the version they like.

Seems to me one should get in before they’ve all reached Jiro-rates.

Joking aside though, I’m not so sure about inconsistencies? No doubt they’ve evolved a lot batch to batch, but it seems to me from reading on here that they are more or less consistent within batches. Also, haven’t most been rated as good to stellar value (except that upswung JNS batch)? Maybe @preizzo can comment?

To add anything other than pure speculation, I would suggest trying to find one with a lighter wood handle. The K&S handle one I got to borrow (big thanks to @preizzo!) was a lovely blade, but the handle shifted the balance a bit too far back for my taste. My 2019 CC version with a keyaki handle is balanced right at the pinch or possibly a hair forward. Nice enough handle other than that though if the balance point doesn’t bother you.

I like keyaki handle much more than ebony for it being lighter and more grippy. I think the difference is more from batch to batch and within a batch Ku and Kasumi would have similar grind and profile. Tbh none of the Mazaki choil shots from 2020 batches has impressed so far.

All the hype has me curious about Mazaki knives, but there are enough inconsistencies and naysayers that I haven't gone through with purchasing one. What's the verdict on the 2020 kasumi versus kurouchi nashiji? From trying to read through this enormous thread, it sounds like maybe the kasumi is more prone to wedging, and the profile of the kuro nashiji is a little longer and more pointy. For those that have used one or both of these, do you think one is clearly the better choice, or what are important differences/pros and cons?

Then there is the question of whether Mazaki is worth it at this time in general. Seems like there is so much change batch to batch that maybe he hasn't yet hit his stride... maybe I should wait till next year or beyond. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I am considering one of the K&S 240 mm W#2 versions at the moment. Seems like the main complaint about these, at least for some people, is dislike of ebony handles, which is not an issue for me unless it makes the balance point awkward.

Apologies if any of this has been hashed out in this thread already and I missed it...
I’ve bought 4 Maz over the last few years from different vendors, I think the differences in batch is magnified—they are still distinctly Maz—champ of bang-for-buck IMO. I hate ebony, and a big fan of his nashiji. If I were buying another, it would be the nashiji from Carbon.

btw, doesn't affect performance at all but is it true his KU finish easily rubs off, even on your magnetic block?

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone!

Seems to me one should get in before they’ve all reached Jiro-rates.

Haha, seriously.

Joking aside though, I’m not so sure about inconsistencies? No doubt they’ve evolved a lot batch to batch, but it seems to me from reading on here that they are more or less consistent within batches. Also, haven’t most been rated as good to stellar value (except that upswung JNS batch)? Maybe @preizzo can comment?

Yes, sorry, by "inconsistencies" I mostly meant batch to batch variation. I agree that many seem to say they are good value. I guess my main question is about how the kuro nashiji and kasumi compare. Other than finish, are they consistently different from each other in important ways in the 2020 batches, or are they basically the same knife with different finishes?

I think the difference is more from batch to batch and within a batch Ku and Kasumi would have similar grind and profile. Tbh none of the Mazaki choil shots from 2020 batches has impressed so far.

So 2020 KU and kasumi are essentially the same knife with different finishes then?

I’ve bought 4 Maz over the last few years from different vendors, I think the differences in batch is magnified—they are still distinctly Maz—champ of bang-for-buck IMO. I hate ebony, and a big fan of his nashiji. If I were buying another, it would be the nashiji from Carbon.

Is your preference for nashiji just the look or does it have a different profile, grind, balance, etc. compared to the kasumi?

The
Thanks for all the responses so far everyone!

Haha, seriously.

Yes, sorry, by "inconsistencies" I mostly meant batch to batch variation. I agree that many seem to say they are good value. I guess my main question is about how the kuro nashiji and kasumi compare. Other than finish, are they consistently different from each other in important ways in the 2020 batches, or are they basically the same knife with different finishes?

So 2020 KU and kasumi are essentially the same knife with different finishes then?

Is your preference for nashiji just the look or does it have a different profile, grind, balance, etc. compared to the kasumi?
Hi man
The mazaki migaki are generally ground thicker then the kurouchi ones .
Kurouchi are easier to maintain the migaki have a faje

Firstly, I am a big kurouchi fan and love the Maz nashiji finish. Of the two 180 pettys, one kasumi the other nashiji, I liked the feel and performance of the latter better—recently got rid of the kasumi. Difference very small TBH.

I have the CKC KU 240 - excellent performer - under 300 USD. Distal taper is amazing - tip is really thin - have to watch out. But cuts through everything beautifully and like butter. Tip is great for shallots. I can’t think of a better value -Iove that Sanjo heft in the knife - comes in at 240 or 250 gm. Looks nice - I am
Curious about the Migaki, and will definitely get the new 2020 Migaki’s that shall be coming in soon into retail - have been told that mazaki San is currently developing the new migaki batch

btw, doesn't affect performance at all but is it true his KU finish easily rubs off, even on your magnetic block?
Not in my experience. I've had one since 2017 or 18... can't remember, when Yoshihiro first got them, and probably the least fade of any of my finish, I think part of that reason is because the surface is so textured your not going to have a huge amount of surface area. Granted its gone through periods of low use, but the majority of the time its been on a walnut magnetic block. Prior to that it was in a plain cutlery and more bamboo one

I bought a new kasumi off of CKC and I'm
converted, tbh. I wanted this batch after trying a friend's because of the higher tip and have no complaints. Even had mine fitted with a jacket + pants.

I have both and feel the same way, might sell Kasumi soon
It may perhaps be because my first two Kasumis were from a few years ago, and his skills have improved with the more recent nashijis I've used. Also, think I'm still emotionally scarred from when I traveled to Hawaii with my kasumis—where they quickly got covered in a thin layer of rust in the salty, humid, tropical air.

I like Mazakis a lot, tried a few and settled in one KU from CK. Best bang for bucks under 300 with Kochi in my knives at the moment. Kasumi from K&S last year had a little hatchet vibes to it with ebony handle but was okei. I would have propably keeped it and thin it a little if it werent that handle. Would I buy dammy, for sure if would decide to let go several other knives and start collecting Mazakis.

Best bang for the bucks under 300 is Heiji, my friend.

Best bang for the bucks under 300 is Heiji, my friend.
Depends on what you're doing. My time with Heiji was very limited, but I felt like it only did great at what it excelled at and struggled at what it didn't. All-rounders still hold much higher value to me during shift.

Depends on what you're doing. My time with Heiji was very limited, but I felt like it only did great at what it excelled at and struggled at what it didn't. All-rounders still hold much higher value to me during shift.
Yoshikane would be a good choice also, unless you don't like the flat profile.

Yoshikane would be a good choice also, unless you don't like the flat profile.
I've always been interested, but didn't want to do the research between lines at the time and decided to try Wakui. If you have a recommendation though I'll keep an eye out if a deal pops up in BST or elsewhere.

I've always been interested, but didn't want to do the research between lines at the time and decided to try Wakui. If you have a recommendation though I'll keep an eye out if a deal pops up in BST or elsewhere.
Any of them really. Some are a little thicker than others, but not a huge variation. I'd say SKD is probably what they're really known for but any of them, including the Amekiri would be a good choice.

I'm still emotionally scarred from when I traveled to Hawaii with my kasumis—where they quickly got covered in a thin layer of rust in the salty, humid, tropical air.
This is me and the thought of non stainless in Singapore :cool:

This is me and the thought of non stainless in Singapore :cool:
You worry too much. Just dry after use, and make sure its dry before you keep them. If not using for a pro-long period of time, remember to oil them. Using VC paper will help as well.

All this mazaki talk. Makes me very interested in the blue steel.

Back