mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best bang for the bucks under 300 is Heiji, my friend.

Heiji’s are exceptional knives, I have the 240 Gyuto in both Carbon and semi stainless. They are amazing performers and the steel, fit and finish are fantastic.

I would put them above Mazaki any day and right up there at parity with Toyama, etc. Agree completely- if you look at this forum under best Japanese active makers of knives today - Heiji is mentioned as one of the top.

but I don’t think you can get them under 300. A Gyuto will be more like 400+ I think a 210 Gyuto will be more like 350 or so.

This is me and the thought of non stainless in Singapore :cool:

Many people who don't live in tropical or sub-tropical environs simply can't understand how humid and salty air can get.

My parent's house—where I stay and cook during visits—is less than a mile from the beach, air often very damp and salty, some of my carbons get signs of rust within hours if the wind blowing from the south, even with constant wiping down and drying of knives.

The Mazaki cladding particularly reactive there. I often take a different set of knives each time, there're always carbons in the mix, since I dislike stainless.

Island travel kit.

52100 carbon has worked very well for me in Hawaii, without major rust issues. Here's what I took for my last trip to Hawaii in January: 225 Tsourkan WH, 52100; 225 Kippington WP, 52100; 240 Gessin Heiji, semi-stainless, suji; 180 Masaki, white 2, petty. The Mazaki by far took the most attention and cleaning.

Heiji's semi-stainless is so perfect for the tropics IMO!

AFB77718-B1B2-44EC-ADEE-A6C91E2E8F2C.jpeg

Heiji’s are exceptional knives, I have the 240 Gyuto in both Carbon and semi stainless. They are amazing performers and the steel, fit and finish are fantastic.

I would put them above Mazaki any day and right up there at parity with Toyama, etc. Agree completely- if you look at this forum under best Japanese active makers of knives today - Heiji is mentioned as one of the top.

but I don’t think you can get them under 300. A Gyuto will be more like 400+ I think a 210 Gyuto will be more like 350 or so.
They're really affordable when you order direct. I think I paid 280-ish for mine.

They're really affordable when you order direct. I think I paid 280-ish for mine.
I would love to order direct, but they never respond to me:( I have tried everything including mailing them direct

but I have 2 Gyuto by them, one SS and love them

If 54 mm height and 170 mm length nakiri is not tall enough for you then buy a Chinese clever 🤣🤣🤣

hehe, nah I was only thinking a couple of mm. The length is fine! I also haven't used it yet so I'm just putting random various first impressions so it looks like I'm a knife expert.

I have a large cck though but it hurts my wrist after a while.

I suggest trying a lower counter height like your kitchen table and lifting at the elbow instead of your wrist. If you keep your wrist loose you'll have a natural pushing/rocking motion, which is why so many cleavers have so much belly. That's how the grannies and aunties last all day with one in an Asian squat 😉

180/56 was a pretty perfect Nakiri from him. Sold it because I hadn't much use for it in normal everyday life. Good fun during Covid lockout though!

Well, you guys convinced me to look for the Kuro Nashiji from CKC or Yoshihiro, and by luck, I was able to snag a barely used CKC 240 Kuro Nashiji on the BST of another site! Looking forward to trying it out.

But, now you guys have me curious about Heiji... this never ends, haha...

The mazaki migaki are generally ground thicker then the kurouchi ones .
Kurouchi are easier to maintain the migaki have a fake...

Firstly, I am a big kurouchi fan and love the Maz nashiji finish. Of the two 180 pettys, one kasumi the other nashiji, I liked the feel and performance of the latter better—recently got rid of the kasumi. Difference very small TBH.

I have the CKC KU 240 - excellent performer - under 300 USD. Distal taper is amazing - tip is really thin - have to watch out. But cuts through everything beautifully and like butter. Tip is great for shallots. I can’t think of a better value -Iove that Sanjo heft in the knife - comes in at 240 or 250 gm. Looks nice - I am
Curious about the Migaki, and will definitely get the new 2020 Migaki’s that shall be coming in soon into retail - have been told that mazaki San is currently developing the new migaki batch

I have both and feel the same way, might sell Kasumi soon

Best bang for the bucks under 300 is Heiji, my friend.

Well, you guys convinced me to look for the Kuro Nashiji from CKC or Yoshihiro, and by luck, I was able to snag a barely used CKC 240 Kuro Nashiji on the BST of another site! Looking forward to trying it out.

But, now you guys have me curious about Heiji... this never ends, haha...
Heiji = great steel, super high flat bevels that like to wedge in dense stuff. But if you put some work into it, they can be great cutters. And Heiji burnt chestnut handles are really nice!

Heiji = great steel, super high flat bevels that like to wedge in dense stuff. But if you put some work into it, they can be great cutters. And Heiji burnt chestnut handles are really nice!

very true, but there is some batch variance -i saw some wedging in their Nakiri, but not in their SS Gyuto - an absolutely gorgeous knife, thin really, unlike a heiji at 205 gm. Their carbon Gyuto was 259gm, and still did not wedge too much, but more so than the SS

as you say, the steel is magnificent - beyond compare

here is the pic of the thin SS - Urushi handle

1BDDEE05-1E0A-459C-852F-8A4C00F17C24.jpeg
1AF4E0F3-B7F0-4A3B-A91D-3B37F151270F.jpeg
02FB0108-238B-4A6F-A62A-D950DC996722.jpeg
7242AF31-7545-45F8-8851-767CDEC94A7B.jpeg

Attachments

• 4DEE029B-AE8B-44B5-8EDD-5B35250CE95F.jpeg
    4DEE029B-AE8B-44B5-8EDD-5B35250CE95F.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 7
hehe, nah I was only thinking a couple of mm. The length is fine! I also haven't used it yet so I'm just putting random various first impressions so it looks like I'm a knife expert.

How big is the cck? I fancy a big chopper but they seem too big for me, maybe on the heavy side?

Back