mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, still pretty tall though? Ugh if they were easier to find in the U.K. I’d probably have caved I bought one by now...

Tall for sure, and still nowhere near as heavy as the 1103 that ref mentioned. My 1303 weighs in on 270.

Kind of reminds me of Tagai Sanjo

tagai-tagai-sanjo-210mm-gyuto-stainless-clad-shiro.jpg

https://cdn.shoplightspeed.com/shops/609811/files/22447851/image.jpg

Yeah, does. Though the Maz looks pointier. Personally, I like his nashiji more.
I have his nashiji ku from ckc and really like it. I am no fan of ku, but the performance and feel make dealing with the ugliness of the ku acceptable.

Might be the angle of the pic, but it looks like the Maz above has a long flat spot too.

Did anyone have problems with F&F on their Mazaki? Just received my suji yesterday and there was a low grit scratch pattern along the edge as well was what looked to be stone residue by the tang. There’s also a, what I’m describing as “puddin stain”, on the handle. Any input would be helpful as currently, I’m very displeased.

Attachments

• 3846EEAD-035A-4EF9-8299-6AD1266BA4BA.jpeg
    3846EEAD-035A-4EF9-8299-6AD1266BA4BA.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 68A980E9-9CE1-4C5A-A593-B4478E441E25.jpeg
    68A980E9-9CE1-4C5A-A593-B4478E441E25.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93
Did anyone have problems with F&F on their Mazaki? Just received my suji yesterday and there was a low grit scratch pattern along the edge as well was what looked to be stone residue by the tang. There’s also a, what I’m describing as “puddin stain”, on the handle. Any input would be helpful as currently, I’m very displeased.
Looks like a sloppy handle install. Where did you get it from?

Looks like a sloppy handle install. Where did you get it from?

I don’t want to say at this point. I’m reaching out to them today to give them a chance to make this right first. Was more curious as to everyone else’s experience.

Everything considered, my theory was it was purchased then returned slightly damaged. Though I sincerely hope that’s not the case as it was sold to me as BNIB

Is that beeswax or the stone residue where the tang goes into the handle? One is sloppiness, the other is no good.

its not bees wax. Looks like stone residue. I thought it might’ve been sloppy apoxy, but I was able to wipe one side off

It is Mazaki's special pixie dust. He keeps a small bottle hidden in his scarf and only sprinkles it on his best knives. It makes the knife cut better, but the unfortunate side effect is that due to the power of the dust, the handle will never be straight.

In all seriousness, I hope you are able to get this sorted.

I appreciate it y’all! I’m chalking a lot of this up to wabi sabi (perhaps too much) but the handle being “stained” is what’s really getting my goat. Regardless of whether it was a retailer or mazaki’s defect, I feel some type of way that the defect wasn’t outright disclosed prior to purchase considering I had a working correspondence with them. I feel as though a defect of any kind, especially on a knife of this price point, warrants a conversation at the least, if not a price break. This particular defect isn’t an easy fix either considering the tang on these is abnormally large. Am I in the wrong for feeing this way? Apologies if I’m hijacking this thread

I appreciate it y’all! I’m chalking a lot of this up to wabi sabi (perhaps too much) but the handle being “stained” is what’s really getting my goat. Regardless of whether it was a retailer or mazaki’s defect, I feel some type of way that the defect wasn’t outright disclosed prior to purchase considering I had a working correspondence with them. I feel as though a defect of any kind, especially on a knife of this price point, warrants a conversation at the least, if not a price break. This particular defect isn’t an easy fix either considering the tang on these is abnormally large. Am I in the wrong for feeing this way? Apologies if I’m hijacking this thread
The powdery stuff is what's really bugging me. But my initial reaction to the handle was that someone with dirty/swarf covered hands handled the....handle. Which would make sense if it was sharpened and that is leftover stone grit....

The powdery stuff is what's really bugging me. But my initial reaction to the handle was that someone with dirty/swarf covered hands handled the....handle. Which would make sense if it was sharpened and that is leftover stone grit....

so here’s another really weird thing. The stain in question seems to be under the finish. BUT, the texture of that entire panel is completely different that the rest of the handle. Almost as if someone tried to sand it down, and then realized it wasn’t going anywhere, then re-sealed it. I’d buy it was a manufactured defect, I just can’t for the life of me figure out why Mazaki wouldn’t just rehandle it with a good one before letting it out to the world.

so here’s another really weird thing. The stain in question seems to be under the finish. BUT, the texture of that entire panel is completely different that the rest of the handle. Almost as if someone tried to sand it down, and then realized it wasn’t going anywhere, then re-sealed it. I’d buy it was a manufactured defect, I just can’t for the life of me figure out why Mazaki wouldn’t just rehandle it with a good one before letting it out to the world.
It might not even be Mazaki's doing. Either way, something is off and I'd be in touch with the retailer for a discount or return.

Is it possible that it is a mineral streak in the wood that didn't accept the finish in the same way as the rest of the handle?

Ho is quite a porous wood and will easily absorb fats and oils if left long enough. Not what I would accept for a BNIB knife.

it is being sold as magnolia. I don’t know jack about wood though, so ho and magnolia might be similar?

I wouldn’t care - but I’m a person of questionable taste. I like my fit and finish really poor. Still, @FishmanDE I hope it gets sorted out without any hassle.

Im of the same vein, ask my exes lol. I for sure would’ve stained it eventually. It’s just the principle for me. If I pay for new, I want new.

Back