mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, im not digging the new KU look. It has a cheap feel to it, imho.

Pardon the noob question but can you or other knowledgeable people elaborate on the difference between good and cheap KU finishes?

The only KU knife I have is a Yoshikane. It's quite a smooth finish (not polished smooth but smoother than, say, nashiji), I'm guessing from blueing or some other artificial process not forge scale. The past Mazakis I've seen have a thicker, flakey-looking KU finish; these newer ones look, like you say, not so nice--smooth with some spots. What's the difference in technique/production between these different KU styles?

Pardon the noob question but can you or other knowledgeable people elaborate on the difference between good and cheap KU finishes?

The only KU knife I have is a Yoshikane. It's quite a smooth finish (not polished smooth but smoother than, say, nashiji), I'm guessing from blueing or some other artificial process not forge scale. The past Mazakis I've seen have a thicker, flakey-looking KU finish; these newer ones look, like you say, not so nice--smooth with some spots. What's the difference in technique/production between these different KU styles?
Crappy KU comes off when you look at it slightly wrong, like CCK. Strong KU is tough, like Munetoshi. Looks of the KU is just preference.

legit question. I believe they’re referring to the longevity of the KU

It's not that in reality it is necessarily bad or cheap, but it just doesn't jive with me when I look at it. Mazaki has had it's own sort of style with it's KU and it feels like Mazaki to me. This new one just doesn't. It's more an emotional connection, rather than, it necessarily being good or bad. I think Corradorbrit1 says what I'm feeling, when he says"it has no character". Or to me it just doesn't feel like Mazaki's character. It reminds me of hinoura,(maybe a little lighter), which I always liked the way hinoura looked, but it just doesn't seem to jive with me as a Mazaki. Also, I don't like the handle.

To be fair about the “character” while I love the look of the old KU, it is by no means efficient. If anything, it’s a detriment by creating more friction. Not that I care, I’m still slicing with it 🤷‍♂️

I admire the optimism! If the man with the the internet's greatest Shig collection doesn't have a direct line to the source, I'd be discouraged. FWIW, Shig santoku's have very flat profiles and I'd describe the standard gyuto profile as pretty flat as well so it sounds like all you need is a 210. 210 santoku's are probably pretty rare but there's gotta be 210 gyutos floating around out there. Maybe not a yo kitaeji but I'd bet a kasumi pops up on BST before a custom order is filled. Good luck with your search!
To be fair about the “character” while I love the look of the old KU, it is by no means efficient. If anything, it’s a detriment by creating more friction. Not that I care, I’m still slicing with it 🤷‍♂️
Do you feel it helps with food release at all? I only used one Maz KU and it was a while ago.

Do you feel it helps with food release at all? I only used one Maz KU and it was a while ago.

Honestly, I haven’t used it yet. Just came in yesterday. But I would assume it would help with food release. That said, it would simultaneously create friction. For cooked foods, not a problem. But for raw fish, it might pose a problem in theory? But A) most raw fish comes from cold, so friction from a finish, at absolute worst in an alternate dimension, would bring a thin slice to room temp? I don’t see an issue. B) I work in a commercial environment, so I honestly don’t have the time to look deeply into the effects that may or may not occur

You stopped looking at some point? 🧐

Were you thinking of a name change? Usubaknaifuwaifu? Sobakiriknaifuwaifu?

I look for deals on jnats too sometimes :p

I was on the lookout for something finer than what I have now so I could get some banding out of my knives, but then a voice from the sky came out and said:

[][] H I N O U R A [][] M U T S U M I [][] N A K I R I [][]

So now here I am.

Back