mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hinoura and Maz are my favorite all-rounders. You actually have to try both. IME, Maz goes through food better, but Hinoura feels more robust. Maz has a more useful tip for my purposes (though, I guess that doesn't apply here...). Length wise, I'd take the longer Hinoura if you go that route for weight reasons.

FWIW, I picked Maz for my gyuto, but the user experience has me ready for a Hinoura suji any day now. I have only tried Hinoura's AS series.

Have you considered a 192 nakiri? Like this: Shop – Birgersson Blades

Yeh, was eyeing the 195mm TF Mab too.

My claw grip is not 180mm or 195mm, so I have no idea what the hell I'd be doing swinging that much metal around. I just want a rectangle I can move directly downwards to part the food that I am holding.

Could anyone who has owned both M. Hinoura vs Mazaki compare both of them?

Was looking at nakiris again :p

Did not own both at the same time, but the KU on my Hinoura was really dark and deep. My 240mm Hinoura ownership was towards the early day of my journeys, but I was pretty neutral on it. It cut well, but between it and a 240mm Wat I will always grab the Wat. My 210mm Mazaki cuts well, but then again between 2 210mm knives, I will always grab my Tsubaya Tanaka. Unfair comparisons, I know, because the Wat & Tanaka are much more expensive than Hinoura/ Mazaki. In their price range, I would give my nods to Kochi/ Wakui/ Heiji direct.

Other than a Wat, the Heiji Nakiri on bst is the best.

Why 180? Cause it's big enough.
I want that Heiji so badly you don't even know. If only I didn't decide to go back to school this year :(

Did not own both at the same time, but the KU on my Hinoura was really dark and deep. My 240mm Hinoura ownership was towards the early day of my journeys, but I was pretty neutral on it. It cut well, but between it and a 240mm Wat I will always grab the Wat. My 210mm Mazaki cuts well, but then again between 2 210mm knives, I will always grab my Tsubaya Tanaka. Unfair comparisons, I know, because the Wat & Tanaka are much more expensive than Hinoura/ Mazaki. In their price range, I would give my nods to Kochi/ Wakui/ Heiji direct.

I want that Heiji so badly you don't even know. If only I didn't decide to go back to school this year :(
An education tops any knife any day!

Hahaha I wonder which generation they found. If it’s the last one with the bizarre upswept bullnose shape no thank you.

My inside source can confirm the new KU finish is not like the cheap smooth find you find on cheaper knives, it's textured like very very fine nashiji (I my source has not had many KU knives so far so they cannot really describe it, but it's definitely not going to flake easily).

I can get my source to take some close up pics.

Last edited:
1601922776701.png
1601922896437.png
1601922878087.png

Just got this beauty: 210mm Aogami 2

I was able to nab a Mazaki from JNS, did not look like the bull-nose at all.

Kasumi , F&F looks good in pics, hard to believe it’s “old stock” actually.

I missed the KU Nakiri by Maz - that was on sale too. Except for the 210 Gyuto, “old stock” vanished as if it were new. The 210’vanished today - in 3 days

Here are my sources photos (totally not mine)

Here is a closeup of the KU finish, I hope you will be able to "feel" it by looking at the picture. It's textured like ~1000 grit wet and dry. The kanji is faint (in fact, I thought he had forgotten to do the kanji until I turned on the lights!) but there. 50mm at the heel, ~4.5mm spine thickness above heel, ~2.5mm half way down, ~1mm a few cm before the tip. 215mm edge length.

The handle is lovely. Walnut ferrule.

20201006_152400.jpg

choil.jpg
20201006_125548.jpg

Which new Mazaki profile? Are any two alike?
Good question - I see your point.

while no two are alike, the new batch generally tends to be flatter and I think quality is improved

I am a bit of a convert now, had my doubts, but his knife is a good performer.
For the price - almost unbeatable

Did you just get it from K&S? I dont know about you, but i was super impressed with both of mine on initial look.

yes K&Sas correctly observed by JML.

Did you get both of the honsanmai from K&S?

let me know what your first impressions were upon use

I am going to try one of the knives out tonight -don’t know which one - maybe the 258 gm heavier Kono FM blue 1 or perhaps this Mazaki - both have identical weight btw, and both are blue 1

let me know your impressions of the two you have

Back